CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mpc2

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by mpc2 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:52 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:01 am
mpc2 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:04 am
Sorry Mr. Houston, and Spyderco, but your knife seems to be trash.

This is why knives these days are overbuilt and most don't slice anywhere near as good as they could. Companies have to idiot proof their designs.
That was a pretty silly review (on a knife not released yet), even I can see that but its a good example of all the information out there that you need to figure out what is valid and what is not.

I do think there is some place for an idiot proof design. There is more than enough demand for a knife that is chip resistant when you try to cut wire or hit a hard surface, the tip wont break when used like a screw driver, opens a box and is easy to sharpen with a $10 pull sharpener.
There is more than enough Supply of "idiot proof" knives.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

mpc2 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:55 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Evil D wrote:
mpc2 wrote:

This is why knives these days are overbuilt and most don't slice anywhere near as good as they could. Companies have to idiot proof their designs.
That was a pretty silly review (on a knife not released yet), even I can see that but its a good example of all the information out there that you need to figure out what is valid and what is not.

I do think there is some place for an idiot proof design. There is more than enough demand for a knife that is chip resistant when you try to cut wire or hit a hard surface, the tip wont break when used like a screw driver, opens a box and is easy to sharpen with a $10 pull sharpener.
Amen
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

After filtering a lot of useful information this steel is definitely interesting me . Thanks All for giving some useful resharpening tips if I do buy life will be a lot easier . I do need a steel like this in my Manix family . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

mpc2 wrote:
WilliamMunny wrote:
Evil D wrote:
mpc2 wrote:

That is sort of what I mean, there are a lot out there because their is a large demand for a simple "I don't know what steel it is but it just works" knife.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is a large subset of the knife community that collects blade steels like playing cards. I think most of these will live in a safe and occasionally be taken out for Instagram clout.

I also think that the price is low enough that flippers will be tempted by a good margin.

Hopefully most people will be so terrified of sharpening and toughness that steel geeks will get some to play with. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WilliamMunny wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong I love those overbuilt knives, but the trend has been far too one sided for far too long and it would just be nice to get more slicer oriented options.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:56 pm

If anyone is scared of 15v not being 3v then this isn't the knife for you, I recommend you hold off on this and let other people who have been waiting a long time for this get one.

I think there's a lot of people who have been into knives for the past year or two. Most knives in the industry cater to casuals and new guys that are in the two-year cycle of obsession then move on. Not to mention we have folks that will never change, ever. So they will never experience anything different
or grow, so nothing matters to them.

It's a never ending cycle of m390 and titanium, an endless morphing of shapes, milling cuts ,colors and names for the same thing over and over.

This knife is for people who have been waiting for things that cater to people who've been around for two to five plus years and want more features that have been held back because it doesn't cater to casual knife folks.

"Sorry, we can't make that because people don't know how to sharpen so we have to water it down"
-Knife Industry

There is no shortage of casual knife products for that crowd.

There seems to be an army of people that say the high cutting edge retention steels are only for people who don't use their knives or for collectors.

That is incorrect and extremely close minded.

There are too many people that just repeat what they hear and put zero effort into seeing for themselves let alone sharpening their own knife.

-Shawn
This reminds me of what happens in lot of hobbies, actually.

For example, with sports cars - people hear about "the best", "the fastest" - so they buy the Porsche GT3 model, or the BMW M model, then complain about how they're not comfortable on their daily commutes, or how the brake pads squeal, etc. Then companies "soften up" the cars, and they lose the purposeful rawness, but now they appeal to more people. But then you have guys who buy the fancy cars just to have as a status symbol or an amulet. Just like the limited GT3/GT4 Porsches, there will probably be a decent amount of these cpm15v sprint runs sitting around so their owners can say "I own a knife made from cpm15v" but will sit unused... (Which is why I hope there's enough so the heavy user enthusiasts can actually get their hands on them)

This also reminds me of this video (why enthusiast brands will betray you)
https://youtu.be/FJgTKx-rg18

Lucky for us, Spyderco continues to push the boundaries and offer us the steels that no one else uses, and gives us designs that aren't geared towards the masses
Last edited by GarageBoy on Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:28 am
Evil D wrote:
mpc2 wrote:

$5 kiwi knives will cut circles around most popular knives, haha.
I once started a thread to discuss the ideal box cutting knife, because I once dug a cheap paring knife out of the trash to break down boxes with, and it performed amazingly, even dull.
Unfortunately, everyone got caught on the words "box cutter" and kept telling me about different disposable box cutters.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

I like to think of blade steels fitting into criteria categories. 10v, 15V, 90V, and Maximet are in a category where long lasting edge holding is the primary requirement. Given that other mechanical factors are sometimes compromised. I think Shawn has explained that pretty well. Its all a balance and we are lucky now to have blade steel grades that cover a wide range. CPM 15V is is on the upper end of long wear resistance. I remember when I was about 10 working in my Grandfathers shop and him standing there while I was filing on a piece of steel. I banged the file on the edge of the vise to clean out the metal chips. He said "never, never bang a file that" it is the abuse of a tool and it will for sure break. I think that carries over into knives as well. 15V is like a file. Don't bang it or twist it and it will be ok. Use it like it was designed and intended for. The heat treat and geometry and sharpening all play into that as well and Spyderco has the ability to get that on spot based on Shawn's experience with the steel. I know for a fact that he has more flying time with that one for a knife blade application than any one else out there. I will anticipate putting one to my test. I just ordered 200 feet of 3/4 inch manila rope Phil
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am
vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:
mpc2 wrote:

I once started a thread to discuss the ideal box cutting knife, because I once dug a cheap paring knife out of the trash to break down boxes with, and it performed amazingly, even dull.
Unfortunately, everyone got caught on the words "box cutter" and kept telling me about different disposable box cutters.
I will not ever be able to find it again but someone posted a link to a video of a little "junk" swiss army knife cutting a rope. The tester cut 50ft, it started to lose it's edge so he ran it on a fine sharping rod for a few times and it just kept cutting. I forget exactly what it was but hundreds of cuts of rope without issue.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:32 am
But then you have guys who buy the fancy cars just to have as a status symbol or an amulet. Just like the limited GT3/GT4 Porsches, there will probably be a decent amount of these cpm15v sprint runs sitting around so their owners can say "I own a knife made from cpm15v" but will sit unused... (Which is why I hope there's enough so the heavy user enthusiasts can actually get their hands on them)
This is what I see. It’s a status symbol. I am a motorcycle guy and the bike world is similar. Yamaha has sold thousands and thousands of R1s to wannabe street Rossi who can neither handle nor maximize the performance of such a bike. I’m a hooligan and even I am not gonna do 186 mph on public roads. They buy a race replica because it’s cool and Rossi was the goat. They bought it for status and now they can flex on all the plebs on their 600’s.

All that said, i’m also a hypocrite and I am most likely buying a Busa in the spring. Why? It’s a hobby and I think it’s cool and I want it. I know it’s over my head but I want that feeling of having something cool, unique and a little extreme. I also have a slight issue with needing speed. With all the stuff going on in the world there are worse things than enthusiasts and their unrealistic behavior.

Yeah, yeah, I know, somebody out there is cutting six miles of cardboard at work everyday and they need this knife and only they can actually appreciate this knife. All the enthusiasts are making their life harder and wasting a perfectly good knife.

Remember, it’s just a hobby. ;) Everything is gonna be alright.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:40 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am
vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I will not ever be able to find it again but someone posted a link to a video of a little "junk" swiss army knife cutting a rope. The tester cut 50ft, it started to lose it's edge so he ran it on a fine sharping rod for a few times and it just kept cutting. I forget exactly what it was but hundreds of cuts of rope without issue.

Well this is probably one of the most important videos you could watch.

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:43 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:32 am
But then you have guys who buy the fancy cars just to have as a status symbol or an amulet. Just like the limited GT3/GT4 Porsches, there will probably be a decent amount of these cpm15v sprint runs sitting around so their owners can say "I own a knife made from cpm15v" but will sit unused... (Which is why I hope there's enough so the heavy user enthusiasts can actually get their hands on them)
This is what I see. It’s a status symbol. I am a motorcycle guy and the bike world is similar. Yamaha has sold thousands and thousands of R1s to wannabe street Rossi who can neither handle nor maximize the performance of such a bike. I’m a hooligan and even I am not gonna do 186 mph on public roads. They buy a race replica because it’s cool and Rossi was the goat. They bought it for status and now they can flex on all the plebs on their 600’s.

All that said, i’m also a hypocrite and I am most likely buying a Busa in the spring. Why? It’s a hobby and I think it’s cool and I want it. I know it’s over my head but I want that feeling of having something cool, unique and a little extreme. I also have a slight issue with needing speed. With all the stuff going on in the world there are worse things than enthusiasts and their unrealistic behavior.

Yeah, yeah, I know, somebody out there is cutting six miles of cardboard at work everyday and they need this knife and only they can actually appreciate this knife. All the enthusiasts are making their life harder and wasting a perfectly good knife.

Remember, it’s just a hobby. ;) Everything is gonna be alright.
That's what makes knives cool, the cost to get some of the "fastest in the world" is lower than almost any other hobby and you don't need to go anywhere to use it and it doesn't take batteries or gas to make it work. You can take it with you everywhere you go and you can use it whenever you like when appropriate.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks for the kind words Phil and thank you for all your decades of hard work.
You've inspired us all.
If it wasn't for guys like you steels like this would have been written off by a lot more people.

I'll be looking forward to the results in your rope cutting, this is so cool man. :smiling-cheeks

Phil Wilson wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:26 am
I like to think of blade steels fitting into criteria categories. 10v, 15V, 90V, and Maximet are in a category where long lasting edge holding is the primary requirement. Given that other mechanical factors are sometimes compromised. I think Shawn has explained that pretty well. Its all a balance and we are lucky now to have blade steel grades that cover a wide range. CPM 15V is is on the upper end of long wear resistance. I remember when I was about 10 working in my Grandfathers shop and him standing there while I was filing on a piece of steel. I banged the file on the edge of the vise to clean out the metal chips. He said "never, never bang a file that" it is the abuse of a tool and it will for sure break. I think that carries over into knives as well. 15V is like a file. Don't bang it or twist it and it will be ok. Use it like it was designed and intended for. The heat treat and geometry and sharpening all play into that as well and Spyderco has the ability to get that on spot based on Shawn's experience with the steel. I know for a fact that he has more flying time with that one for a knife blade application than any one else out there. I will anticipate putting one to my test. I just ordered 200 feet of 3/4 inch manila rope Phil
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:51 am

Great video, learn something new every day. In the video I watched the user did mention he needed to use a lot of force to cut the rope but blamed it on the size of the blade, probably around 1.5". It makes sense that a thin blade on a swiss army knife will still cut even when dull.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:51 am

Dude, that's pretty funny.

"OMG! This is the best knife EVERRRRRRRR!"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mpc2 wrote:
WilliamMunny wrote:
Evil D wrote:
mpc2 wrote:

Spyderco makes no knives for the incurious—from which idiocy grows—so why the mention of idiot-proof knives?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

WilliamMunny wrote:
...I do think there is some place for an idiot proof design. There is more than enough demand for a knife that is chip resistant when you try to cut wire or hit a hard surface, the tip wont break when used like a screw driver, opens a box and is easy to sharpen with a $10 pull sharpener.

A problem for every solution. :zany
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I've handed people Leathermen and they still use the knife blade to try and unscrew things...
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 am
WilliamMunny wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong I love those overbuilt knives, but the trend has been far too one sided for far too long and it would just be nice to get more slicer oriented options.
Evil D i respect you as the experienced long time member that you are but this time i can not follow what you are saying. Spyderco has not made an “overbuilt” model in years. The last one was probably the shempp tuff and that one has bin long discontinued. The second generation manix has also lost its overbuilt status compared to the original (Thinner blade lighter handle) and almost if not more then 50% that has come out of spyderco the last couple of years are more Lightweight with thinner blades then the designs they made in the past so enlighten me with some more details on what is youre vision of overbuilt please? :no-mouth (Again no disrespect in any way)