CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by VooDooChild »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:50 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:43 am
… I am most likely buying a Busa in the spring….
Fantastic! A bit different from the Africa Twin…
I’m gonna keep the AT. I put quite a few miles on it this year and I love it. I couldn’t imagine a more practical motorcycle for me. It’s the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. Everything you could ask for but not exciting. It’s perfect.

They are gonna force electric bikes on us soon so the next 10 years will be the swan song of internal combustion super bikes. I might as well buy the 15V Manix of motorcycles while I still can.

It will be a weekend toy that I keep the miles low on and maybe someday it will be highly collectible and worth a fortune. I think a lot of folks look at some of their more exotic knife purchases that same way and that ok.
Im gonna sell my cruiser. Never ride it.

I am hoping that the ZX4R rumors are true, we will know in a day or two, and then I am really hoping that it goes for sale in the US. Probably wont but if it does, I will figure out a way to get one.

If not... I am going to bide my time and go electric.

Really wish Yamaha would do a WR350R or something, that would be a bike that I would absolutely snag.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
R100

Post by R100 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:56 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:50 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:43 am
… I am most likely buying a Busa in the spring….
Fantastic! A bit different from the Africa Twin…
I’m gonna keep the AT. I put quite a few miles on it this year and I love it. I couldn’t imagine a more practical motorcycle for me. It’s the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. Everything you could ask for but not exciting. It’s perfect.

They are gonna force electric bikes on us soon so the next 10 years will be the swan song of internal combustion super bikes. I might as well buy the 15V Manix of motorcycles while I still can.

It will be a weekend toy that I keep the miles low on and maybe someday it will be highly collectible and worth a fortune. I think a lot of folks look at some of their more exotic knife purchases that same way and that ok.
A 'busa is certainly fast but the big compromise is all that weight on the front. A lot of people come unstuck pushing them too hard in the twisties. Not as quick on a windy mountain road as a good adventure bike with sticky tyres.

Bikes are like knives once they get extreme performance in one sphere but you can only carry one at a time. :winking-tongue

Dan
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So this is pretty much the ultimate forum knife?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:18 am
Sshhhh, we're talking about bikes now. :winking-tongue
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:37 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:35 am
I think 'most' (not all) peoples need for an over built knife could be solved by carrying a Lynch All Access Pass for twisting, prying, bottle opening, scraping, and screw driving. And using their knife for the cutting jobs.
Or carry a multi tool like millions of ordinary people do everyday.
Exactly. I should have said something 'like' a Lynch prybar or multitool.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:18 am
Only if you like that sort of thing. 😜
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:16 pm
When do we get ours?!
MRj “Weak things break!”
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

I would agree with the sentiment that a very low toughness steel like 15v isn't an ideal match for one of the harder use folders in Spyderco's lineup such as the Manix.

Personally I'd much rather see a 10v Manix2, and they would have my money in an instant for that configuration.

But no doubt people are going to buy it, and it is coming in at quite a nice price point, so I can certainly see the draw for those eager to try out this steel.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

salimoneus wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:49 pm
I would agree with the sentiment that a very low toughness steel like 15v isn't an ideal match for one of the harder use folders in Spyderco's lineup such as the Manix.

Personally I'd much rather see a 10v Manix2, and they would have my money in an instant for that configuration.

But no doubt people are going to buy it, and it is coming in at quite a nice price point, so I can certainly see the draw for those eager to try out this steel.
According to REC they will be making a Manix 10V (Scorpion) with DLC, 2023 release they hope. It takes care of the toughness and rust issue if that is a concern, but it won’t hold an edge as long.

But there is just something cool about this collaboration and the effort that went into it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Going to interrupt the bike talk again :winking-tongue

What makes the Manix "tougher" than a PM2 (I know someone's going to mention the tip...) Blade thickness and grind aren't really that different, no?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

salimoneus wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:49 pm

Keep in mind, the toughness of 15V is not far behind M390 and the standard S30V so I don't think they are straying from the base design and philosophy. If you are just looking for straight toughness as in fracture resistance then we would want to be in the H1 or LC200N range. I know those would be popular for other reasons, but not why getting 15V is such a huge leap and great nod from Spyderco to the steel fans. Who knows, but I would guess Shawn appreciates the Manix design and wanted to see it in that model from Golden. All around a really cool Collab and one that is unique to see unfold.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm
Going to interrupt the bike talk again :winking-tongue

What makes the Manix "tougher" than a PM2 (I know someone's going to mention the tip...) Blade thickness and grind aren't really that different, no?
Always wondered this too. The manix has maybe a little stouter tip, but it's nothing super stout like a shaman would be. The blade is pretty thin too, I thought it had a stock thickness that was thinner than the PM2. When I handle both my manix and pm2 I don't get any indication that one would be more "hard use" than the other.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:16 pm
H#ll yeah, Shawn! Stoked for you.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Spyderco Manix 2 CPM 15V Factory Edge

If you look closely you can see the ~23% vanadium carbide volume bristling at the edge.

Standard sharpness for a Spyderco factory edge is 150g.

50g feather razor, keep in mind a feather razor has at 5.5dps on a 0.006" blade stock.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I want to try one of these out, but it seems that the edge is nerding beyond my obvious interpretation.

Shawn what is the ideal application of 15V in a pocket knife? Since I've had no experience with the steel, much less one with an ideal heat treat, why did you choose 15V to put your stamp on?
So it goes.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:35 pm
Spyderco Manix 2 CPM 15V Factory Edge

If you look closely you can see the ~23% vanadium carbide volume bristling at the edge.

Do you have any details on the steps you took to achieve that edge?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Just a passing observation, but the images of the knife don’t really look like it’s satin to me. Or maybe it’s just different from the typical satin.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:42 pm
I want to try one of these out, but it seems that the edge is nerding beyond my obvious interpretation.

Shawn what is the ideal application of 15V in a pocket knife? Since I've had no experience with the steel, much less one with an ideal heat treat, why did you choose 15V to put your stamp on?
Well, its been no secret I've been a big huge fan of K390 and 10V over the years. I've also enjoyed Maxamet.

When I first looked at 15V several years ago it piqued my interest as perhaps a sleeper or a sweet spot, like the top end of the A11 type steels without going into Rex121/Maxamet territory.

The heat treatment from the data sheet yielded disappointing results at the knife edge so work was done to focus the attributes of the 15v towards knife use specifically to increase the edge stability and sharpenability compared to the data sheet heat treatment.

The ideal application is the same application you would use for steels like k390, 10V and Maxamet.

If you're using knives for cutting and they seem to be blunting smooth during your cutting task requiring you to stop and hone then steels like 15V synergize nicely in that role. If you're also doing a cutting task that requires slicing an elastic, medium density materials with draw cuts like animal hide and tissue the additional aggression at the edge does seem to help with this.

The 15V should fit into a nice sweet spot between the K390 and the Maxamet.

More edge holding than K390 but less toughness.
Less edge holding than Maxamet but more toughness.

I find steels such as K390, 10V, PMA11, Vanadis 10, Vanadis 8 and Vancron are in a really nice high strength and wear category which most people who like CPM M4 for will definitely like this range/class of steel.

Back when K390 was first coming out with Spyderco, people were very concerned about it not being tough enough and saying that CPM M4 was better overall due to fear of lack in durability in K390. However, we saw with hard use testing that K390 was basically an "M4 Killer" like Doc Dan said and that the decrease in toughness in real world wasn't going to be seen as much on a small knife because the added strength made up for any lack of toughness you would see at the edge.

As it turns out, resistance to deformation is incredibly crucial for a small knife and people are often confusing what the want in toughness with what they need in strength.

CPM 15V is basically the king of the 10V, K390 range of cold work PM tool steels in regards to wear resistance without moving into further trade-offs with Rex 121 and Maxamet.

-Shawn
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:53 pm
Just a passing observation, but the images of the knife don’t really look like it’s satin to me. Or maybe it’s just different from the typical satin.
Good observation, it is a stonewash.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives