CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WilliamMunny

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by WilliamMunny »

kennbr34 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:05 am
jwbnyc wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:36 pm
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:31 pm
Are they all gone?....I haven't heard of any new drops lately..... Glad I got one at least!
DLT has not, as far as I know, dropped yet.

And, vis-à-vis Chinese quality or the lack thereof: Chinese manufacturers build to a price. They will build to whatever quality level you want if you are willing to pay the price.

Personally, I’d like to see us bring as much manufacturing as possible back onshore, but the question is; are we prepared to pay the price?
One thing about Chinese vs American manufacturing that I wonder about is how much we're actually paying for the product, versus how much we're paying for decent wages, safety conditions, etc. and so forth.

I recently bought a Chinese knock off of a Benchmade 940, mostly because I was curious how good the knock offs are, and also because I wanted to see how the 940 was in hand--a bit like a "demo". Well, I was quite shocked with how well made it was. I have owned other Benchmade knives, and I have to say that this thing was really not far behind in quality. There were a few things wrong, but not what you'd expect. The blade held an edge, the action was smooth, blade centered, detent was good. Actually the only thing wrong was the screws were some cheap pot metal that cross threaded upon re-assembly.

So all that being the case... I bought that knock off for $20. The real deal no doubt has better materials and higher cost of manufacturing, but I don't think it's to the extent that it explains the 10x price difference. That's gotta come from the fact that the workers in American factories are paid a minimum wage, have a 40 hour work week, and OSHA regulations to keep them safe. Now I certainly don't know about all Chinese manufacturers, but something tells me the ones selling $20 knock offs don't have to adhere to all that.

That being the case, I would gladly pay a premium for Chinese goods if I knew they also took care of their employees, because it's not necessarily the craftsmanship they cut corners on.
On one of Sal's posts he did say it was hard to compete with China and their currency manipulation. I think it was in reference to Civivi knives.

A friend got a fake Benchmade Griptilian from China a year or two ago. Not going to lie for the $10-$20 he spent on it; it was very nice. I am not sure if I could have been able to tell the difference between a real one or not.

I don't think US knife companies need to worry too much about the knockoffs (other than fraud / theft) but the Civivi type knife, is a solid product with good materials at a fraction of the price. Not saying its better than a Spyderco, but its far from junk.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Youre also paying for innovation and warranty. Even a lot of the better Chinese brands I dont see being around in 40 years.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'll just move this discussion here....
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:34 am
Monty wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:25 am
In the future we should start a discord group for drops so we can kick those who just want to chatter. The level of disrespect in this group is really disappointing.
you literally just did the very thing you're condemning.
Part of the problem was we didn't make the thread you were supposed to comment in as obvious as could be. As evidence by this post. But I agree with the sentiment I suppose. Although I really don't want to use a discord. Honestly the rudeness in the alert thread caught me a little off gaurd. This place is home to some of the nicest and most thoughtful people you'll ever meet on the internet. No ones perfect I guess, least of all me.

Honestly this discussion is off-topic for this thread too, but it's more appropriate here than an explicitly *alert* only thread.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Monty wrote:
In the future we should start a discord group for drops so we can kick those who just want to chatter. The level of disrespect in this group is really disappointing.
Part of the problem was we didn't make the thread you were supposed to comment in as obvious as could be. As evidence by this post. But I agree with the sentiment I suppose. Although I really don't want to use a discord. Honestly the rudeness in the alert thread caught me a little off gaurd. This place is home to some of the nicest and most thoughtful people you'll ever meet on the internet. No ones perfect I guess, least of all me.

Honestly this discussion is off-topic for this thread too, but it's more appropriate here than an explicitly *alert* only thread.
yeah. this thread has been so off topic that it's almost it's own forum.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

So about that 15V Manix, anyone manage to dull theirs yet?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have been spending idle time the past week or so reading through all the posts in this thread and others related to this 15V steel and knife and sharpening, etc.

I am wondering, and I well could have missed it. Does anyone know what the HRC is on the Spyderco sprint?

I saw some of the numbers BBB was working with in his testing, but was curious what Spyderco ended up doing, if it is a known thing.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:37 pm
I have been spending idle time the past week or so reading through all the posts in this thread and others related to this 15V steel and knife and sharpening, etc.

I am wondering, and I well could have missed it. Does anyone know what the HRC is on the Spyderco sprint?

I saw some of the numbers BBB was working with in his testing, but was curious what Spyderco ended up doing, if it is a known thing.
65.0 +/-0.1, per Shaun on a production knife.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
GeezyG

Post by GeezyG »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Monty wrote:

I think it was self explanatory but people would just say " this guy/or you just posted here so why cant I?". Glad I was able to get one before it got as it is now. But the O.G.'s in there were very helpful. Big thanks again to them.

Now to the BEAR. I've just been oiling the blade lightly every other day with Norton honing oil just cuz its handy and food safe. So no patina yet. Already cut myself so the 15v is officially my knife. After I cut myself I did notice it hurt more than usual. Wondering if I felt the carbides in action. I've sliced myself (by accident) with polished XHP and I never feel it until later if it's bad. So 2 weeks, light use, no strop yet. Still/steel feels good on factory edge. No complaints yet.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Had mine a couple weeks and still basically going off the factory edge. Mostly cardboard duty, but did get some use in trimming some routed edges on OSB and cleaning up some dried construction adhesive. When I feel some drag in cutting, I strop on leather mounted on some MDF loaded with 1.25 micron and .5 micron diamond. Seems to keep a working edge pretty easy so far. As an aside, one thing I've finally seemed to learn is that light stropping passes and fewer; Science of Sharp and others have helped me with this.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:16 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:37 pm
Does anyone know what the HRC is on the Spyderco sprint?
65.0 +/-0.1, per Shaun on a production knife.
That it pretty amazing if that is what I have here in my hand. Thank you for the info.
msum

Post by msum »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:56 pm
Had mine a couple weeks and still basically going off the factory edge. Mostly cardboard duty, but did get some use in trimming some routed edges on OSB and cleaning up some dried construction adhesive. When I feel some drag in cutting, I strop on leather mounted on some MDF loaded with 1.25 micron and .5 micron diamond. Seems to keep a working edge pretty easy so far. As an aside, one thing I've finally seemed to learn is that light stropping passes and fewer; Science of Sharp and others have helped me with this.
How dare you mess up this thread when your post belongs in the sharpening and performance thread?

Yep, I know, I’m hilarious.

Stupid question, but is that leather loaded with two diamond grits? Or is it two separate strops with 1.25 and 0.5micron? respectively?

Regarding HRC result, I thought someone on this forum also measured their production model’s hardness…?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I received mine monday.
I'm surprised I took so long to buy a G10 Manix 2 ! I like the LW but since mine were pinned I was a bit sad to not be able to disassemble them. I might do a screw conversion on the SPY27 one day.

I dont know if this is the case for every Manix 2, but i was really pleasantly surprised to find T8 screws for the pocket clip! Since I often disasszmble them, I have a stock of M2 and 2-56 Ti screws just to swap them after a certain time. Even with wiha screwdrivers these screws give up after like 30 disassemblies.

The edge on mine was very very good. Push cutting paper towel like a boss. It didnt goball the way to the heel though. It stops a bit before the tiny unsharpened part at the kick of the blade.

The fit and finish is stellar. Ive been cutting my entire stock of cardboard with the factory edge. It did lose some bite but after 3 passes on each side on the 3micron GunnyJuice then 1 on the 1micron, its as good as new if not better.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

So are these officially all gone?.....none left to drop anywhere?....
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

msum wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:04 am
Bemo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:56 pm
How dare you mess up this thread when your post belongs in the sharpening and performance thread?

Yep, I know, I’m hilarious.

Stupid question, but is that leather loaded with two diamond grits? Or is it two separate strops with 1.25 and 0.5micron? respectively?

Regarding HRC result, I thought someone on this forum also measured their production model’s hardness…?
Yeah I've been guilty before of thread-drift and am trying to be more diligent... this being a flawed human does have it's challenges ;)

I made a strop out of MDF with leather on front/back for the different grits. Leather doesn't compress as much on the MDF. I did put the rough side of the leather out on the lower grit and probably wouldn't do it that way again.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:40 am
I have not seen any in a while and from the sounds of REC, who sold 7, they were unsure if they were getting additional.

If this is pretty much all that will be sold it seems like it was pretty small run, maybe 1000 or even less. Someone on the REC Facebook site wanted to trade a LNIB REC Manix for a 15v, still a lot of people looking for these.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
DLT Trading is still yet to drop.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:14 pm
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
They dropped and got sold out in minutes in the last day or 2.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

gunmike1 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:21 pm
kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:14 pm
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
They dropped and got sold out in minutes in the last day or 2.
Oh really? Missed it in the alert thread. I kept hearing they were supposedly waiting for more inventory to do a larger drop.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Someone above posted that Dlt had 28 orders in that sold out in 3 min. 28 sounds like the most anyone had to drop.....don't think Dlt is getting a bigger shipment....who knows.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Blades Canada still says "coming soon", so they may still have some