CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sooo impressive! No way I'm going to rub out that kind of polish once I get mine though...WOW
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:29 pm
He does that with VG10 too though. Not to compare the two steels but more to make a point of how good he specifically is at sharpening.

I would venture to guess that most people who get this knife won’t be able to bring it to that level of sharpness. (myself included)
That's what makes it so cool, he does that with vg10 and he does that with a steel that has 23% Vanadium carbide volume at 65hrc.

Love the consistency.

There used to be a time around 2015 when people weren't sure if high carbide steels could get as of an sharp edge.

Folks at the time would reference "Messerklingen und Stahl" for why it would not work (outstanding book by the way)

Then Michael Christy comes and sets the world on fire. Showing that with proper technique, abrasives and experience it's possible.
It's like the sharpening world equivalent of the 4-minute mile.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I don't see a cc # on his blade. Wonder how he got one already. Have they already started dropping?
--Jeremy
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:51 pm
Mushroom wrote:
He does that with VG10 too though. Not to compare the two steels but more to make a point of how good he specifically is at sharpening.

I would venture to guess that most people who get this knife won’t be able to bring it to that level of sharpness. (myself included)
That's what makes it so cool, he does that with vg10 and he does that with a steel that has 23% Vanadium carbide volume at 65hrc.

Love the consistency.

There used to be a time around 2015 when people weren't sure if high carbide steels could get as of an sharp edge.

Folks at the time would reference "Messerklingen und Stahl" for why it would not work (outstanding book by the way)

Then Michael Christy comes and sets the world on fire. Showing that with proper technique, abrasives and experience it's possible.
The guy likes his bourbon too; I’m convinced it steady’s the hand. Except when I try it, my wife comes home to a blood trail in the kitchen.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mushroom wrote:

Michael is on another level.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:25 pm
I don't see a cc # on his blade. Wonder how he got one already. Have they already started dropping?
Michael is knife world sharpening royalty
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Love the consistency.

The guy likes his bourbon too; I’m convinced it steady’s the hand. Except when I try it, my wife comes home to a blood trail in the kitchen.
I almost spit out my drink when I read this! There is definitely a fine line when bourbon and sharpening are involved.

It’s always impressive watching MC’s sharpness tests.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Love the consistency.

I usually throw on his videos when I'm sharpening my stuff. Pretty relaxing and informative.

I remember when I was a kid, I heard a story about some ancient sword that was said to be so sharp it could split a hair just by laying the hair across the edge. I thought it was BS. Got older and I come across one Michael Christy youtube videos where he sharpens up a knife and proceeds to split a hair just by laying it on the edge of his knife :astonished. His sharpening skills are unreal. Always enjoy watching and listening to his stuff (and yours lol) on youtube.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Love the consistency.

Thanks, I needed the laugh!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

The thing that has always impressed me the most about Mr. Christy’s sharpening is how many stones and strops he can go through in a progression without rounding off the edge. What little hair I have left would fall out if I tried that and I wouldn’t be able to whittle it.

It must take guided system like accuracy.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Whenever I watch any of the great sharpeners, it looks so easy. Then I try it, and it's not. That's why I'm glad to have a Sharpmaker. I can at least get decent results keeping things sharp. Once they get dull, I am out of luck.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Matthew Maola was kind enough to send me his brand new CPM 10V to do a comparison to the Spyderco CPM 15V Manix.

I looked at the factory edges with magnification, I thought it was interesting looking at the carbide structures of between the two steels at the edge.

Carbide size for steels like these are usually in the 3-4 micron size. So being able to see particles this small should let you know the magnification is very close.

The features on the 15V are smaller at the same notification in this picture which is quite neat given that the 10V has ~17% MC volume and 15V has ~23% MC volume
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Those are some pretty fancy images. It's fun to get a peek at what's going on at that scale.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

After 2 and half years we gain 6% in overall carbide volume. An increase in overall hardness by a few points. I think my satin tested 62.5 hrc but I'm going off memory. We gain a finer microstructure in side by side comparison. A superior shade of brown g10 in my opinion. And at the same price point to boot. Incredible overall value that im stoked for.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’m really looking forward to this one. Very interesting image comparison. Can’t wait to start playing with it. I hope they make enough so it’s not too hard to get ahold of.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Stoked? What level is the stoke meter at?
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 pm
Stoked? What level is the stoke meter at?
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really stoked then. Excellent.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Got email yesterday soon but no timeline.😞 Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I asked a dealer to please keep one for me and I'll pay as soon as they have it.
But I don't know if they'll be able to answer my request. We'll see !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds