Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by Bdubs808 »

The liners, the extra couple of ounces... these things do not concern me. The design, the blade steel, the robustness of this knife make it very attractive to me. Will definitely pick up one or two. I didn't want to buy any more VG10 folders so this is exactly what I wanted in the new Stretch XL.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Is this a Moki build, do we know?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:42 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm
Well whats interesting to me is how much more substantial / quality the G10+Full liners feel relative to the surprisingly minimal weight increase over FRN.

Stretch 2 FRN = 3.7oz
Stretch 2 G10/Steel = 4.4oz

Weights:

Stretch2 XL Lightweight VG-10 FRN (C258BK): 2.7oz (77g)
Stretch2 XL CRU-WEAR Gray G-10 (C258GPGYCW): 4.6oz (130g)
Thank you. The XL FRN model skews the results in that its an unusually lightweight, linerless FRN handle.

Its 1oz lighter than the FRN Stretch 2, and 0.3oz lighter then the old Gen 3 FRN linerless Endura.

The comparison of lined FRN vs full steel/G10 I think holds though. Its a modest ~1oz weight boost for a massive aesthetic and tactile upgrade.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

woops double post.
Last edited by mark greenman on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Because of all the talk, I assumed the next Stretch 2 XL would have linerless FRN and some type of Salt steel. And for some reason I had the notion that the first supersteel version would be K390. Therefore I'm disappointed in the CruWear G-10 reveal.

That's not to say I won't get one, because it's bound to be an awesome knife. I would have been immediately all-in for either of the anticipated versions, but it'll be wait-and-see for the CruWear. It's a regular production model, so I won't have to decide right away.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Pricey, but I kind of have to have this one. I'd kind of rather it be a normal Stretch 2 but this is as good an expression of the XL as I could imagine for myself. Between this and the 15V Manix this is an expensive reveal for me!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I would have thought a Salt version was next as well, and I think it will still come, but maybe the community here differs from the larger, mainstream buying community. Also, this is a nice way to expand the platform in another direction, with multiple choices and options to follow.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Fireman sees this knife as a modified Military, and in this version, I can see what he means. It is yet another great option.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m not disappointed and glad it will be regular production and has been said I will wait for a linerless for my next XL . I like the linerless concept and was hoping to see a Salt version possibly in H2 . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Or Magnacut, maybe. That said, I'm sure the current VG-10 will be more than sufficient for almost everyone.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:10 pm
I’m not disappointed and glad it will be regular production and has been said I will wait for a linerless for my next XL . I like the linerless concept and was hoping to see a Salt version possibly in H2 . MG2
Same. Stretch XL Salt is the only variation I'm interested in, but it's good they have a lined option for those that prefer that and are interested in the design.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Exactly. Something for everybody.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I for one am really excited, the G10 Stretch2 is (IMO) one of the finest G10 knives that Seki has ever produced, an absolute tank, so solid. I'm in!

;)

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm
There definitely is a resemblance to the Ayoob; probably due to the grey (or is that gray?) G10. But Sal doesn't believe in changing manufacturers unless absolutely necessary, so I'm guessing no.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Finally, an accessible chunk of Cruwear in a format that works for me. And it’s regular production?? Bravo, Spyderco!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm
I suspect not. All my Stretches (1, 2, 2 XL) are Sakai-made, as signaled by the “Seki-City” mark. Until the Cruwear Ayoob sprint, Moki-made was signaled by the singular “Japan” mark. It remains to be seen if Moki will succeed in its resurrection.

I’ll just add that I welcome the lined G10 Stretch2 XL. While the unlined original is shockingly light, I just don’t care for its flex. Glad I’ll have the time to think about getting this follow-up.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

I am a huge fan of Cruwear, for a tough utility type EDC. BM Adamas is a beast in the pocket, it's 6.4oz for 3.8" blade with saber grind make it to thick behind the edge for me. The mini-Adamas (4.6oz/3.25") is marginally better.

I'm already on a waiting list for the SXL (4.6oz/4") and FFG should make it much more reasonable thickness behind the edge.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Normally I'd jump at one of these, but modern pricing is giving me pause. It should be around long enough for those of us on the fence to think it about instead of panic buying due to some limitation on numbers produced.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Just when I thought I was done buying new Spydercos for the year :zany ...
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

i'm surprised by cruwear tbh, but it's technically a 'hunting knife' so i suppose it makes sense in that regard, as well as in such a relatively long, thin blade (are the 2xl blades as thin as the stretch 2?). and i love the steel, so no problem there. full liners and g10 is absolutely for me - if i'm carrying a knife this size somewhere, weight is not a primary concern. grey isn't my favorite, but g10's dye-able, nbd.

my only real question is whether we'll ever see a drop point model. i'm basically a guaranteed sale then, but i don't think i'll ever bite for the straght spine at this price. think i'm in a pretty small minority on this point though, no pun intended