Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olditguy

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by olditguy »

So I did take it apart. My blade was not touching the tube, but there wasn't more than 2 sheets of printer papers room between the two. I took the tube out and now it looks just like my Shaman. I have to say it was quite difficult to get those darn liners back on, and all of the screws are T6 except for the T8 pivot. I'm happy with my CQI! Oh, I did sand down the lanyard tube holes in the liners in case somebody decides to use it someday. The holes were fairly sharp, thus one reason for the tube I suppose.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I always assumed sharpening is thre last part of assembly. Which would explain why no one would be alarmed by blade slightly resting on the tube. Them assuming it would clear after sharpening.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well, we did ask for as much edge to be packed into the handle as possible.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I thought this thread could use some more comparison pics.

Not quite a Military, but man is it close. Fits my hands better, too. And with the deep cary clip, it just disappears in the pocket.

We'll see if the upcoming Millie 2 can knock this one out of my pocket.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great pic. I could see that being my favorite of the four, although all are really nice.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Anybody have word on a source for custom scales on this bad boy? Would love to pickup some green canvas micarta. Should be an easy enough job with the full liners.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I love this knife, and it's a user for me. Mine has the issue, but I don't find it has any impact on the usability of the blade. I went to 15° on mine and can still hear the "tink" when the blade contacts the tube. My plan is to go to 20° on the next sharpening, and then settle back to 17°. After the 15° angle I have to use a loupe to see the little dent in the edge, so I suspect this issue may just sharpen away.

It's Cru-Wear, however, so it will be a minute before I find out.

While I understand the concerns, for me, I'm just not surprised that knives with tolerances like these will sometimes run into issues. We all appreciate the CQI program, and this is one of the reasons it exists.
Brian
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I was on the brink of trying to get this model when a Native 5 in Cruwear just appeared in front of me... Well this will be for another time !

(Well, more realistically I'm bound to buy one that will stay in production, like the VG-10 version)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I too have the lanyard tube issue. I noticed it because I saw a nick in the edge and I knew that I didn't do it, because I pretty much haven't cut anything with the Stretch XL. Then I saw that the lanyard tube has marks on it from where the edge has been whacking it.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm
I was on the brink of trying to get this model when a Native 5 in Cruwear just appeared in front of me... Well this will be for another time !

(Well, more realistically I'm bound to buy one that will stay in production, like the VG-10 version)
I wasn't aware there had been a Cruwear Ntive 5. Details and/or pics would be appreciated.
Jack
:bug-red-white
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:22 pm
Anybody have word on a source for custom scales on this bad boy? Would love to pickup some green canvas micarta. Should be an easy enough job with the full liners.
Same here. It "looks" great with G-10 but I prefer the way micarta feels in hand.
Jack
Jack
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I wasn't aware there had been a Cruwear Ntive 5. Details and/or pics would be appreciated.
Jack
[/quote]

KnifeCenter did their Cru-Wear/Smooth Black G10 treatment on the N5 in 2019. I don't have a pic of mine handy, but will ty to throw one up later if nobody else does.
Brian
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:23 pm
Ramonade wrote:

Jack
It will be my first exclusive. I always said I wouldn't buy any and import them from an american dealer. Well I did not since a fellow french collector had one to spare :winking-tongue . It's a knifecenter exclusive, Cruwear and smooth G10

I do not have it yet so here's a couple of pics from the seller :

Thursday is the day :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:27 pm
CrustyOtter wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Jack
It will be my first exclusive. I always said I wouldn't buy any and import them from an american dealer. Well I did not since a fellow french collector had one to spare :winking-tongue . It's a knifecenter exclusive, Cruwear and smooth G10

That's a beauty, congratulations!
Like @kennethsime, I'd like to find a reliable source for aftermarket scales. I know Ripp's Garage Tech does micarta for a few models but I didn't see the S2XL or Native 5 listed.
I'm tempted to see what Cuscadi could do with the S2XL, maybe stabilized buckeye or walnut burl...
Jack
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:27 pm
Like @kennethsime, I'd like to find a reliable source for aftermarket scales. I know Ripp's Garage Tech does micarta for a few models but I didn't see the S2XL or Native 5 listed.
I'm tempted to see what Cuscadi could do with the S2XL, maybe stabilized buckeye or walnut burl...
Thanks, Cuscadi does beautiful scales for the Native 5. Never used their services before but in Western Europe it's pretty much the go to ! They'll definitely accept to make scales for the Stretch XL G10 model(s), but you might have to send your there if they don't have a sample of their own.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:11 am
CrustyOtter wrote:
Thanks, Cuscadi does beautiful scales for the Native 5. Never used their services before but in Western Europe it's pretty much the go to ! They'll definitely accept to make scales for the Stretch XL G10 model(s), but you might have to send your there if they don't have a sample of their own.
Yep, Cuscadi can only be recommended.
I have/had Micarta scales for an Endura and Zirikote wood scales for a Millie made by them. Both really nice.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Ramonade wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:27 pm
CrustyOtter wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Jack

Shoot an email requesting to RGT about Stretch XL scales . A few of us have already sent emails to him asking ( begging ) ;) for some Micarta scales . Never know unless you ask . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderFreak69

Post by SpyderFreak69 »

Guess I was un lucky and have a S2 xl Cru that had terrible bevels (fixed myself), and hits the para tube. You can hear it click the tube when you close it.

If I am careful and just close it slowly it doesn’t hit. So, I’ll use it and sharpen it a few times and hope the tube touching goes away.

It’s kind of a disappointment on such a nice and expensive knife.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:31 am
Shoot an email requesting to RGT about Stretch XL scales . A few of us have already sent emails to him asking ( begging ) ;) for some Micarta scales . Never know unless you ask . MG2
Done!
As much as I like Natural and OD green micarta, something in a medium blue denim micarta should be easier to spot if I drop it in the grass or dead leaves while doing yardwork. I lost a vintage Benchmade 750 Pinnacle last Summer while weed eating my M-I-L's property. Luckily my wife found it with a metal detector the next day or it'd still be laying out there... maybe I should consider a lanyard attached to my belt while working outside, my current knife purchases are way too expensive to risk losing like that again.
Jack
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:57 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:31 am
Done!
As much as I like Natural and OD green micarta, something in a medium blue denim micarta should be easier to spot if I drop it in the grass or dead leaves while doing yardwork. I lost a vintage Benchmade 750 Pinnacle last Summer while weed eating my M-I-L's property. Luckily my wife found it with a metal detector the next day or it'd still be laying out there... maybe I should consider a lanyard attached to my belt while working outside, my current knife purchases are way too expensive to risk losing like that again.
Well done Jack ! Thank you ! The more interest we show there is a better opportunity . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau