Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by Soanso McMasters »

This one seems quite overpriced.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I remember reading why we did not see a lot of G10 coming from Japan. Price was the reason.
I think this will please a lot of people that only wanted a high performance steel with G10 variant of this new design !

I decided to slow down and stop buying 3 new Spydies each month, so I'll set my mind on the 15V Manix 2 for now. But eh, maybe they'll come enough time appart for me to buy both ?

Price might be harsh compared to the LW version (especially if we compare some Golden LW models with their G10 counterpart). But compared to the Ayoob sprint, it's not that far away.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

MSRP is $106 higher than Ayoob's. Why?
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I'm probably in for this one, but unfortunately it's going to be another $300 knife. I hope I can find some higher-quality aftermarket micarta scales for it - I'd kill for RGT to make them.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
rgc

Post by rgc »

I don't know, the more I look at this the more I think it might replace the Native Chief in my pocket. And I thought that was going to be done by the Chief in M390.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:52 pm
This one seems quite overpriced.
Inflation gives me inflammation

Come on man!
Pay your “Fair share” :winking-tongue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Yet another knife which shouldn’t have been made in Japan.

ParaMilitary2 CruWear Micarta (USA): $188.65
Stretch2 XL CruWear G-10 (Japan): $284.55
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Price does seem high, but I am glad to see Spyderco taking some chances with the steel and G10. I really like this combo. I think we need a Native Chief in this exact combo, so we can accurately compare from one factory to another. For science of course.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:37 pm
Price does seem high, but I am glad to see Spyderco taking some chances with the steel and G10. I really like this combo. I think we need a Native Chief in this exact combo, so we can accurately compare from one factory to another. For science of course.

My guess:

Stretch2 XL CruWear G-10 (Japan) = $284.55
Native Chief CruWear G-10 (USA) ≈ $200
Last edited by RamZar on Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nice addition, but more than what I am willing to spend.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:20 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:37 pm
My guess:

Stretch2 XL CruWear G-10 (Japan) = $284.55
Native Chief CruWear G-10 (USA) ≈ $200
Yes please!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:31 pm
Yet another knife which shouldn’t have been made in Japan.

ParaMilitary2 CruWear Micarta (USA): $188.65
Stretch2 XL CruWear G-10 (Japan): $284.55
Man, that is quite the stark comparison there.

I would've been a-ok with a plain old FRN model equipped with a tool steel blade.

As it is, I would love to pick one of these up and throw some micarta scales on it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

When the G10 Police 4 in K390 first was released it cost $173.97 after MAP in the US.

That was 5 years ago. This XL stretch is also out of Japan and is extremely similar in every way of how it is made and materials used. There may be small differences to the liners in this new XL stretch if it's like the Ayoob liners. Even if that's the case how does the price go up over $100 for what is a smaller knife than the police? Inflation can't be the only factor, but it gets all the blame when other factors might be less palatable to tell the consumer? This is an absolutely ridiculous price for this knife. I know you realize it too.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Michal O wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:25 pm
MSRP is $106 higher than Ayoob's. Why?

Wondering this myself? :thinking They are made in different factories is about the only reason I can guess. Maybe Seki City has a difficult time with G10? I remember the guys at St Nicks saying there were a lot of QC issues with their G10 Delica, but that may have been more to do with the coated blades and hardware.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The question is not cost, but value.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

First off I don't know about you but my gas and grocery costs have near tripled in the last 2 years. Things are more expensive now. It's a bummer but all you can do is vote.

This knife was never going to be made in Golden or anywhere else. Spyderco has a long time relationship with the maker in Seki and they're not going to move production.

They could have also not made this knife.

Or made it in FRN, which is also not making this knife.

I WANT A G-10 Stretch XL. And if that means me paying more than I would for a knife made somewhere else, that's what it means. It beats not having one at all. I'm glad they made it. I'm greatful they made it, knowing that there would be criticism. I hate that we're not likely to see another G-10 Police4 because people balked at the price. I hate to think this will be the only run of the stretch xl g-10 because people are balking at the price.

As was just discussed in another thread, Spyderco isn't arbitrarily setting the price or trying to squeeze people for more money because it's a new model in high demand. If it costs more it's because it cost them more to make it.

I really understand seeing a knife you want and realizing it's more than you can justify spending. But I also don't want a bit of sour grapes killing off future Japanese G-10 Models. (The sour grapes thing or this entire comment for that matter isn't directed at anyone in particular)

I think as a forum we had one request when this was discussed in the past. If Seki G-10 knives are going to be more expensive than the other knives, please make them in a cool color and steel. I think Spyderco held up their end with this knife. I'm planning on getting one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cjk

Post by cjk »

The full liner Seki back locks are some of my favorites. I do much prefer the G-10 ones to the pakkawood ones.

The most recent "new" Seki knife of this construction was probably the pakkawood HAP40 Endela exclusive which I believe came out sometime in 2021? I'm not 100% sure on this, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The MSRP on that one is/was $310 according to the Spyderco website.
The MSRP on the Grey G-10 Cruwear Stretch 2 XL is $406.50 according to the Spyderco website.

They might be closer to 2 years apart in release date than one, I'm not really sure.
Edit: The knifecenter youtube video announcing the pakkawood Endela model is from August 2021.

That's around a 30% increase in MSRP, or $96.50.

* The Endela is a slightly smaller knife than the Stretch 2 XL, so the Stretch 2 XL uses more raw materials, thus increasing cost if all the materials were equal (which honestly they're not).
* The Endela uses (used?) a Japanese steel. The Stretch 2 XL uses American steel which had to be imported to Japan.
* I'm assuming that the pakkawood used on the Endela is also a Japanese domestic product. I don't know where the G-10 is made which is used in the Stretch. I do know that UltreX G-10 is made in the USA. I going to presume the G-10 has to be imported too.
* Sal has also mentioned that G-10 is expensive to do in Japan. I'm assuming there are factors other than import costs that make that so. Maybe something like stringent health and safety laws dealing with machining stuff that contains fiberglass, but that's just a guess.
* Then there's the rampant inflation of the past year. Everything just costs more.

So it seems to me like there are lots of things which could easily eat into that difference of $96.50 in MSRP.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 pm
Well, it is both really. One may see the value and not be able to afford the price, or the other way round. Or any other combination of the two. Simply because one is an objective (can afford or not) and the other is subjective (is the perceived value there or not).

Yes, the MSRP is high, but then I checked the old ZDP G10 version - and it was only about $50 less. So relatively speaking this is not a large jump (it has been a few years).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

I need it. It’s a classy hotrod like my g10 p4.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Matus wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:28 am
Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 pm
Well, it is both really. One may see the value and not be able to afford the price, or the other way round. Or any other combination of the two. Simply because one is an objective (can afford or not) and the other is subjective (is the perceived value there or not).

Yes, the MSRP is high, but then I checked the old ZDP G10 version - and it was only about $50 less. So relatively speaking this is not a large jump (it has been a few years).
True, But not being able to afford it is not the fault of Spyderco to put it more succinctly. Spyderco has a pricing model that is fair and not gouging.