Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Basko00

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by Basko00 »

Drubieg wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:45 am
I need it. It’s a classy hotrod like my g10 p4.
I missed getting the g10 p4. I don’t even like thinking about it. I’ve been looking for one ever since but apparently not in the right places because I haven’t found one.

I will not miss getting this Stretch XL G10 even at that price. What’s a few dollars as opposed to a lifetime of regret? I say that only partially in jest.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Matus wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:28 am
Yes, the MSRP is high, but then I checked the old ZDP G10 version - and it was only about $50 less. So relatively speaking this is not a large jump (it has been a few years).
I always wanted a ZDP/G-10 Stretch, but could never justify it because the the FRN version was already so darn good.

I do certainly love Cruwear, and I think I'll probably buy one of these - even if I have to Sezzle it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:44 pm
True, But not being able to afford it is not the fault of Spyderco to put it more succinctly. Spyderco has a pricing model that is fair and not gouging.
Oh, absolutely. I was not trying to imply that Spyderco is somehow responsible whether someone can afford their products. And when it comes to pricing - it is something we can not really judge from outside. Sal was more than kind enough to reiterate their approach to pricing several times on different occasions.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

I find 4" blade a bit long and I wish this were a (regular) SS Stretch 2 in G-10/Cruwear, but I still placed my order the day it was announced. Not sure if I'll cancel it or not... The reason I prefer 3.5' blades is that I tend to use my blades for field dressing game and my short, stubby, index finger is *just* long enough to fully reach the tip of a 3.5" blade when guiding it between the hide/skin and inner membrane. For me, this is the litmus test for a hunting knife...and the Stretch 2 is about perfect.

Quick side-question for "those in the know" -- is there any reason to expect that the blade on this G10 version could be swapped into a FRN handled one? Meaning, if someday Sal & gang ever offer a "Salt" (Magnacut/linerless FRN) Stretch 2XL, might the blades be swappable? Just curious if swapping between FRN and linered G-10 models was something that could be done with relative certainty...
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Regarding your blade swap question: yes, you can swap blades between the G10 and FRN versions of the Stretch 2. Here’s my brown G10 version sporting the straight spine blade from the ivory FRN version (the brown G10 scales were swapped out for contoured Koa). One thing I’ll mention is that there’s a weird setup of the blade pivot washers, with 2 present on one side and only 1 washer on the other side. This is necessary to keep the proper spacing of the blade within the frame. It’s very noticeable how much it’s off if you only use one washer per side or put the 2 stacked washers on the wrong/opposite side. Very strange and frustrating until I figured that out! Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
engine

Post by engine »

Stretch looks very nice.
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:39 pm
Regarding your blade swap question: yes, you can swap blades between the G10 and FRN versions of the Stretch 2... Cheers, Radioactive
Excellent - thanks! Also, the washer tip is likely to come in handy! :)
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
sal

Post by sal »

Very nice RS.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yes, awesome job RS. I only wish they release the straight spine Stretch in VG10. I would buy one for myself. I missed that ivory FRN sprint.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I have a warranty "credit" (plus cash) I would use for this if it comes out before the end of the month (when my "credit" expires).
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Well the good news is they won't sell out in 3 minutes.

It'll take me a few days to give in.
Matus

Post by Matus »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 pm
Well the good news is they won't sell out in 3 minutes.

It'll take me a few days to give in.
It is not a sprint run, so even if you miss the first batch (when ever they hit the market) there will me more coming not much later down the road.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's surprising that it's not a Sprint run. Hard to imagine there's demand for more than a single run.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am not that surprised. CruWear has gained a lot of attention in the past 2-3 years. We have also seen number of models from other makers (e.g. Benchmade) in Cruwear. Nobody really expects it to sell better than VG10 Delica, but this is not some weird design (though we need to see how the price will be received) that would only be attractive to a small subgroup of potential customers. Not making this a sprint run leaves the production 'open end'. If not received as well as hoped we may see it disappear year or two down the road. Hoewever literally nobody knows today.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Fair points. I would counter by saying that large folders don't sell as well. Expensive folders also don't sell well. Finally, making it a Sprint would improve sales because of the collectability factor/ FOMO.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sal did say the XL LW was well received, so that may be part of the consideration.
rgc

Post by rgc »

I don't collect, I use. I also like large folders so this one is right up my alley. Hard part is waiting as the one I was going to get the Chief in M390 is being released today, but, I think I want this one more (I have a Chief already). I can't flop down the money for both as that is just not prudent right now, but, can I hold off once the Chief is released to wait for this Stretch . . . ah, first world problems.
rgc

Post by rgc »

Well that didn't last long. Hope the Stretch doesn't come out till late November/December then I will get one for my birthday.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Patriot Knifeworks... https://patriotknifeworks.com/spyderco- ... -cru-wear/

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Nice! Starting to come in.

Please, Please, Please, if you nab one, come back and post some pictures and let us know what you think.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005