Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by ladybug93 »

dang. i kind of promised myself i wouldn't go for another non-salt seki knife after the ayoob, but this does look great and would pair really well with a se ayoob. i also wanted to wait for a s2xl salt, but this is getting tempting.

jeff, you're right about the forum and pictures.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 pm
These comparison pictures are selling it. It times like this, I think it is ingenious having a forum for your product.

So it looks like it is slimmer, and takes up just as much space in the pocket as the PM2. Behind the choil, the PM2 is a little cramped for me, but that extra bit of space for the pinky on the Stretch looks great.
I have the same feelings towards the PM2 handle. The SXL is much more comfortable for me behind the choil.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:46 pm
This looks pretty much like a small Police IMO. Yes I know the handle is slightly different, but the rest is very similar.

I think it could be a good option for someone who likes the idea of the Police, but consider it to be "too much knife".

For now I think I still prefer a Golden-made Military in this size.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

quote=JRinFL post_id=1671394 time=1668910892 user_id=26398]
You guys are making it hard for me to pass on this one.
[/quote]

Right? Oh man, that is so nice..
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Excellent so far. Fit and finish on mine is superb!
Initial thoughts are... I like the regular Stretch2, but for my hands, the added length of the XL moves that curve, towards the end of the handle, back to a more comfortable spot. It feels less like my hand is falling off the back of the knife. And it's funny how making it slimmer and adding a little extra length makes it feel like the total package is smaller in the pocket than the regular Stretch2, even though it's a larger knife. Very much comparable to the recent Ayoob and it doesn't feel a whole lot larger than a PM2. The Chief is a little lighter but a little fatter. I'm going to need more time to figure out which I like better. But i do love the pointy blade shape of the Chief.

It's been a busy weekend but I snapped a few pics with some knives I have with me...
Yojumbo, Manix2 XL, Native Chief, Stretch2 XL, Paramilitary2, Massad Ayoob, Delica4
The PM2 swapped spots with the Ayoob in this pic (as opposed to the above pic)...
Chief & Stretch2 XL
Chief, Stretch2 XL & Ayoob
Paramilitary2 (aftermarket scales) & Stretch2 XL
Ayoob & Stretch2 XL
Ayoob & Stretch2 XL
•• Beau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:55 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 pm
These comparison pictures are selling it. It's times like this, I think it is ingenious having a forum for your product.

So it looks like it is slimmer, and takes up just as much space in the pocket as the PM2. Behind the choil, the PM2 is a little cramped for me, but that extra bit of space for the pinky on the Stretch looks great.
I have the same feelings towards the PM2 handle. The SXL is much more comfortable for me behind the choil.
Yeah, the Military feels so much better in hand. But like you brought up in a different thread, in pocket, the Military's jimping kinda catches your hand trying to slide past. This Stretch I bet feels like the Chief in pocket. That steel backspacer allows you to easily slide past it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That is an amazing amount of blade for that handle! I'm impressed.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great comparison shots . Comments are close to my feelings concerning in pocket . Spyderco really nailed the blade to handle ratio on my opinion. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:32 am
The Chief is a little lighter but a little fatter. I'm going to need more time to figure out which I like better. But i do love the pointy blade shape of the Chief.
Thanks for the pics Beau! Curious what you think once you have more time with it. Those pics show just how much thinner it is than the Chief. Looks like a dream to carry. That is tough to decide which would feel better in hand with use. Glad we get both for sure.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am curious about one more thing. How does the blade angle compare to the Military's negative blade angle? One thing I really enjoy about the Military. If you lined them up, how far does the tip drop from the handle when compared to the Military?

Sorry, I'm very excited about this model. Love the steel. Love the color. Gray makes a great base if you want to RIT Dye it. I will not on this one.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:34 am
I am curious about one more thing. How does the blade angle compare to the Military's negative blade angle? One thing I really enjoy about the Military. If you lined them up, how far does the tip drop from the handle when compared to the Military?

Sorry, I'm very excited about this model. Love the steel. Love the color. Gray makes a great base if you want to RIT Dye it. I will not on this one.

Pivot bolts and palm swell lined up in the above picture. The Military def feels like it has more of a negative angle in hand than it may even look in the pics, especially when holding back on the handle behind the choil. This knife feels streamlined compared to the Military.

I really love this knife, and the ergos work for me so much better than the standard Stretch2. It feels like the palm swell is somehow reduced in height or lengthened on this model in a way that makes the whole knife feel more natural. The amount of blade is a little excessive for my own EDC tastes, but as much as I'd like a shrunk down version of this knife (in all dimensions including height) it's not like we'll ever see a Stretch2 XL Mini :rofl

Gray G10 is up there with my favorites, and especially looks great in this configuration with that stainless backspacer. Hopefully we'll see a Pakkawood in Hap40, and I'm all but certain we will see K390 FRN with how great this model is. New model of the year IMO.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That's great! Thank you! You are right, it looks like the Military still has more negative angle.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The further forward toward the front of the knife that you can locate the blade pivot, the more blade you can fit into a given handle size. Measuring with a software program from the photos above, indexing on center of screw, it looks like the pivot of the S2XL has been pushed approx. 20% forward, compared to the M.

I'm curious how close you can get a pivot to the front of the knife and still retain sufficient strength.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

This model hits all the marks for me-it’s large, flat, ergonomic and G10. Everything I like in a Spyderco. The build quality looks on par with the Ayoob, which I find to be flawless(all four of mine :grin-big eyes). I’m curious if it’s the same family manufacturing this one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:38 am
That's great! Thank you! You are right, it looks like the Military still has more negative angle.
The Military definitely has more negative angle. The SXL feels very natural to use though - it's never felt like it has too much or too little negative angle in use for me.

I've been meaning to make a thread about how most spydies you can draw a straight line from the rear end of the handle to the tip. I love the way they design their knives so the tip aligns with the lines of my knuckles.

Most of their knives are designed so when you hold them the first part of the cutting edge by the ricasso lines up perfectly with the tip.

Ergonomics are about more than handle shape alone - how the blade orients itself is a biggie.

Can't help but laugh when I look at those pictures. XL models hardly look XL in my hands!
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You can see why this model was one Sal mentioned as a "just for him" kinda design. I think I'm remembering that correctly when the lightweight started to ship and Golden was getting the first batch.

Thanks for the pics Vivi!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This thread is loaded with great comments and pictures. This is one knife I was originally just thinking of lightweight models but this variation is so hard to resist . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Basko00 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:19 pm
This model hits all the marks for me-it’s large, flat, ergonomic and G10. Everything I like in a Spyderco. The build quality looks on par with the Ayoob, which I find to be flawless(all four of mine :grin-big eyes). I’m curious if it’s the same family manufacturing this one.
I hope to be corrected if i'm mistaken...

Pretty sure that the Ayoob is Moki built, while the Stretch (and entire "Delica family") come out of the G. Sakai shop.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If anything this thread has made me more "in" than I already was.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man oh man do I want one of these, and man oh man do I want to throw some Micarta scales on it. Unfortunately, that's going to be a $350 knife at that point. But man, what a knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.