Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by abbazaba »

That Manix turned out great!

I've found that the requests in order notes often get ignored, but maybe not with DLT.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:19 pm
That Manix turned out great!

I've found that the requests in order notes often get ignored, but maybe not with DLT.
I can’t say enough good things about DLT . They have treated me very well every time I order . Dealer I ordered from for first order suggested by Beau also were fantastic. They reached out with a personal call after getting knife asking if I was happy with the XL , great guys . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I spoke too soon. I took the knife apart to RIT dye tonight and discovered that I too have contact between the blade and the lanyard tube.

I still have the knife apart, but perhaps an easy fix would be to replace the stepped lanyard tube with a non-stepped lanyard tube? It does appear as if the knife rests equally on the kick of the ricasso and the lanyard tube. I'll go ahead and leave mine out for now.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

With the lanyard tube removed, the blade rests comfortably on the kick of the ricasso.

With not much else to do today, I went looking around the house for a box to slice up. Lucky me, I had a wheelset delivered last week, and was able to cut up the box. The Stretch 2 XL is no slouch - the thin grind slices right through quad-walled cardboard. This knife is definitely a keeper.

Unfortunately, my Lynch clip was either delivered to a neighbor or lost in the mail. May have to order another one. Also, my RIT dye job was unsuccessful - I guess G-10 is harder to dye than FRN and FRCP. I'll have to do some more research before trying again.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well, a non-stepped lanyard tube does sound like an easy solution, if you can find the right replacement, and if it would stay put. That sounds like an easy CQI fix for Spyderco as well.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I suppose a "less-stepped" version would work also, if that makes sense, and if such a thing exists.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 pm
Well, a non-stepped lanyard tube does sound like an easy solution, if you can find the right replacement, and if it would stay put. That sounds like an easy CQI fix for Spyderco as well.
My hope would be that Spyderco would take note of this thread, implement the fix, and perhaps even offer a solution to those of us who write in about it. I know the parts come from Japan, but you'd think they might be able to source a replacement option here in the states.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:09 pm
I suppose a "less-stepped" version would work also, if that makes sense, and if such a thing exists.
Maybe. The clearance is very, very tight.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 pm
cabfrank wrote:

Yep, I took mine apart and planned to file the step down on the tube, but I mangled the tube getting it out, so now I am ridin' tubeless. Kind of bothers my OCD that it is not a "stock" knife anymore, but it works, and the old G10 Enduras were tubeless, so there's that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 pm
cabfrank wrote:

Extremely tight. Even if they made the ricasso kick slightly longer to keep the blade off the tube, the tip of the knife would probably be sticking out ever so slightly or dangerously close to it. They would likely need to alter the grinds a bit too to keep the tip buried and/or keep the belly off the tube. It will be interesting to see how they approach this. There is such little margin for error in this model.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:44 pm
cabfrank wrote:
My hope would be that Spyderco would take note of this thread, implement the fix, and perhaps even offer a solution to those of us who write in about it. I know the parts come from Japan, but you'd think they might be able to source a replacement option here in the states.
I could not agree more , quite a few people made an investment anticipating a well made knife . I sadly don’t think this flaw should be acceptable. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:14 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:44 pm
cabfrank wrote:
I could not agree more , quite a few people made an investment anticipating a well made knife . I sadly don’t think this flaw should be acceptable. Dan
I emailed Spyderco Customer Service about it. Will report back if I hear anything. It's not worth sending the knife in, I don't think, but I sure would love it if they could find a way to take care of us.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I may have an unpopular opinion here, but with the tolerances required for the lanyard tube on this particular model.....

May I humbly suggest removing the lanyard hole like on the Police 4?

Is it necessary? How many of us are using lanyards with this knife? And as I said the tolerances required have obviously caused a problem. Too much kick the tip will stick up above the handle, too little, you're banging the lanyard tube.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:15 pm
I may have an unpopular opinion here, but with the tolerances required for the lanyard tube on this particular model.....

May I humbly suggest removing the lanyard hole like on the Police 4?

Is it necessary? How many of us are using lanyards with this knife? And as I said the tolerances required have obviously caused a problem. Too much kick the tip will stick up above the handle, too little, you're banging the lanyard tube.

Exactly. Probably the best solution here. I honestly wish they would have just left the tube out altogether like on the previous G10 Endura. I'd feel less bad about removing the tube myself. I hate modding knives. I like 'em stock.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Agreed. While I admire the mods people make to make their knives their own, I prefer stock Spydercos. I especially wouldn't want to mod a knife in this price range.

I also agree that lanyard tubes are probably not necessary in knives this size. I don't use lanyards at all, but I get why some like them for small knives like the Ladybug/Manbug, etc.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

The G10 Shaman doesn't have a tube in it either and looks fine. If removing the tube is easy enough without messing up the scales then I would go that route. So far I don't see mine touching, but I will probably pull the scales just to satisfy my OCD.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

olditguy wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:17 am
The G10 Shaman doesn't have a tube in it either and looks fine. If removing the tube is easy enough without messing up the scales then I would go that route. So far I don't see mine touching, but I will probably pull the scales just to satisfy my OCD.

Please do, I am interested to see what it looks like on ones where the blade isn't touching. I wonder if the kick is longer or blade is ground a little more near the tip or what.

I suspect you will see the blade resting on the tube though.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I assume these knives are hand assembled, right? How do you not see that the blade is literally sitting on the tube when assembling? That is what gets me about it. Crazy these passed QC.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 am
I assume these knives are hand assembled, right? How do you not see that the blade is literally sitting on the tube when assembling? That is what gets me about it. Crazy these passed QC.

A bit mysterious indeed... still a very intriguing knife, and that is coming from an FRN and LW guy...

In Europe though the "cheapest" option I found is € 329 (translates to 356 USD) - not saying the knife ain´t worth it (I am sure it is!) but I personally will rather wait for the hopefully eventually coming FRN K390 version and probably would save some money even if I added a Leaf Jumper or similarly priced model to the order...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I disassembled mine. Not hitting but the clearance between blade and lanyard tube is less than the thickness of a piece of printer paper!