Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by JRinFL »

Had I known this was coming, I'd have not purchased a second Ayoob. Mostly due to Abbazaa's picture. Ha, no, but maybe...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If this was out at the same time as the G10 police, I'm not sure which direction I would have gone
cjk

Post by cjk »

This might be my most anticipated Spyderco of this year. I really really love the full liner G-10 models. I’ve been checking knife retailers’ websites daily. I can’t wait!!!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Me too CJK! I keep looking at the regulars waiting for it to pop up.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would not be surprised if they drop after Monday. How can one obscure dealer ( no disrespect ) have a small batch and not major dealers elsewhere? This makes no sense to me other than dealers holding on to a Golden Goose . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think you are right Dan. I can only imagine these will sell fast until the newness wears off. They would be leaving money on the table to sell them at a discount out the gate if they got mixed up in these Black Friday deals.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:20 pm
I think you are right Dan. I can only imagine these will sell fast until the newness wears off. They would be leaving money on the table to sell them at a discount out the gate if they got mixed up in these Black Friday deals.
If true, that’s a shame. If dealers and Spyderco want to move some product and get this new model into more hands, put them up now into these weekend sales.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Well, I'd love the CruWear but not so much the weight or price. So, got me another FRN on the way for $75. Thanks Black Friday!
cjk

Post by cjk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:16 pm
I would not be surprised if they drop after Monday. How can one obscure dealer ( no disrespect ) have a small batch and not major dealers elsewhere? This makes no sense to me other than dealers holding on to a Golden Goose . MG2
My wild guess is that there was supposed to be some sort of "do not sell until date" or release date on those, but the obscure dealer either ignored it or goofed it up.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I sold my FRN version to help rationalize spending big money on the G10 version, but at only $75 today I really hope anyone that has been tempted to try this knife picked up the standard FRN today, CHEAP!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:30 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:16 pm
My wild guess is that there was supposed to be some sort of "do not sell until date" or release date on those, but the obscure dealer either ignored it or goofed it up.
That is another possibility, Whatever the reason I am not faulting anyone . Everyone needs to keep the lights on and food on the table . MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

You guys are killin' me. I thought, "Ooooh... I'm gonna get in on the Black Friday sales, and bag me this sweet knife." Alas, it's not available yet, and the preorders aren't giving discounts. Ugh.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

What makes this knife so much more expensive than the ayoob?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Does anyone have both the Cruwear and the Lightweight?

I see the technical description says 2.7oz for the lightweight, and 4.6oz for the Cruwear. That’s nearly twice the weight if you round up.

The first LW users were impressed by the knife’s apparent weightlessness, which is a feeling I get with my Military. The Millie weighs in at 4.5oz, and the Native Chief only 3.9oz.

I wonder if the Cruwear model feels light in hand, at least as much as the Military does? Can you feel the difference between it and the Lightweight model?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:02 pm

I see the technical description says 2.7oz for the lightweight, and 4.6oz for the Cruwear. That’s nearly twice the weight if you round up.

The first LW users were impressed by the knife’s apparent weightlessness, which is a feeling I get with my Military. The Millie weighs in at 4.5oz, and the Native Chief only 3.9oz.

I wonder if the Cruwear model feels light in hand, at least as much as the Military does? Can you feel the difference between it and the Lightweight model?
Ayoob weight is 4.9 so this also may give an idea as far as in hand . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:02 pm

The FRN version is silly light, confusingly light the first time you hold it. Your brain will question reality... But with all the weight out front, it has the balance of a machete in comparison. The linerless scales also have the flex you would imagine, think Bugout XXL. This of course has its benefits and it's an amazing knife to use and carry.

The G10 version is solid and feels appropriately weighty in hand, but has the weight hanging off the opposite end because of the steel backspacer. The balance is much further back than the Military, which arguably has a better balance in hand. For me, this makes the Military feel lighter, even if it's the same weight because the weight distribution is so much more neutral.

FWIW, the G10 is 4.6oz on my scale

Also, may as well use this opportunity to add another enabler picture from today's hike ;)

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:48 pm
The FRN version is silly light, confusingly light the first time you hold it. Your brain will question reality... But with all the weight out front, it has the balance of a machete in comparison. The linerless scales also have the flex you would imagine, think Bugout XXL. This of course has its benefits and it's an amazing knife to use and carry.

The G10 version is solid and feels appropriately weighty in hand, but has the weight hanging off the opposite end because of the steel backspacer. The balance is much further back than the Military, which arguably has a better balance in hand. For me, this makes the Military feel lighter, even if it's the same weight because the weight distribution is so much more neutral.

FWIW, the G10 is 4.6oz on my scale.

Also, may as well use this opportunity to add another enabler picture from today's hike ;)
Thanks very much, abbazabba. I can’t wait to get my hands on one (and some custom micarta scales).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

balance of a machete? hardly. my stretch xl in frn balances right on my index finger.

My scales barely flex inwards if I death grip the knife, but don't flex when using it to cut things. They're very stiff during actual use for a linerless lightweight.

There's a huge difference in weight between the two. it's definitely going to be noticeable.
:unicorn
R100

Post by R100 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:55 pm

balance of a machete? hardly. my stretch xl in frn balances right on my index finger.

My scales barely flex inwards if I death grip the knife, but don't flex when using it to cut things. They're very stiff during actual use for a linerless lightweight.

There's a huge difference in weight between the two. it's definitely going to be noticeable.
I would have to echo Vivi here. The frn version initially felt freakishly light and my brain was telling me it must be flimsy. After having a chance to give it some serious use I can say I feel no flex, it is nicely balanced and it feels more solid than the similar LC200N Pac Salt 2. Mine also has very solid lockup and less lock rock than any other Seki lockbacks I own, which is quite a few. It sort of feels like a CQI version of a Seki lockback.

I like it so much that I think I will forgo the G10 one and wait for some more steels in the frn version. I would really like one in K390 and a Salt version in Magnacut. It's funny that balance was mentioned because for me this feels way better in hand than my G10 Endura or Police 3 which are both too handle heavy.

Dan
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

My FRN S2XL SE arrived this morning and I haven't opened it yet. I actually forgot about the G10/Cruwear variant until I logged on just now, but man do I want one asap!