why does the lil' native have minimal jimping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Re: why does the lil' native have minimal jimping?

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im waiting for the skeletonized liners to get jimping, to secure the dust that finds its way into those unnecessary topographical exercises. And why don’t we jimp the spyder hole and lanyard hole, to give a more secure opening and string grip. ****, lets jimp the edge, to get a more secure cut. Wait, thats called serrations. NM.
I like jimping on the top of the blade SOMETIMES, never for the forefinger. Not sure what a person would be doing to need jimping there, but to me its just annoying. The original native had it dead on. None index jimping.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:54 am
Just like what the subject says. The lil' native is smooth in the finger choil and generally smooth on the spine except for a 3 grooves (jimps?) adjacent to the liner. I'm just curious why the design choice to make this generally smooth. In contrast, the dragonfly, native 5, and shaman have more jimps.
Because well designed handles don't need jumping.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:16 am
sethwm wrote:
Just like what the subject says. The lil' native is smooth in the finger choil and generally smooth on the spine except for a 3 grooves (jimps?) adjacent to the liner. I'm just curious why the design choice to make this generally smooth. In contrast, the dragonfly, native 5, and shaman have more jimps.
So in your opinion this is one of the only well designed handles spyderco makes because most of their other knives have jimping? Honest question, I can’t tell if you’re being funny or serious.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

There is a reasonnable amount of people thinking that jimping only hurts when you squeeze a knife. And that a well thought out design does not need jiming for the knife to stay in hand.

Personally, jimping is only useful to me when wearing gloves. I won't use a Lil'Native wearing gloves so I'm ok !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:14 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:16 am
sethwm wrote:
So in your opinion this is one of the only well designed handles spyderco makes because most of their other knives have jimping? Honest question, I can’t tell if you’re being funny or serious.
I'm being serious, but I'm not implying it's the only well designed handle Spyderco makes. I find jimping is unnecessary for the majority of knives, and can actually be a detriment in some cases.

I'm not too fond of choils either, but that's a different topic.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN