Reveal 11 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderVol

Re: Reveal 11 Live!

Post by SpyderVol »

Just when I think I'm finished buying Spyderco knives......
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Call me crazy, but I don't get an S90V Siren. Yeah, I know all about S90V, so someone explain the logic in this to me. Please. Magnacut I could understand. S90V...nah. I think anybody who uses one is going to find corrosion, and probably sooner rather than later. The edge will hold a long time, but if your too busy to keep an LC200N edge sharp, I'm guessing you may also be too busy to thoroughly clean S90V, esp down in the pivot area. A hard pass for me.
attila

Post by attila »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:57 am
attila wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:37 am
My top question:
Is the 15V of the Manix heat treated with Shawn’s (BBB/Deadboxhero) heat treatment method?
;)
Screenshot 2022-09-27 104934.jpg
Thanks! :smiling-halo
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

Am I the only one excited about the Leafjumper!? I have always liked the design elements of that model regarding the handle, but did not have a need for another warncliffe.

Then Bam!
phaust

Post by phaust »

on_the_edge wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:29 pm
Call me crazy, but I don't get an S90V Siren. Yeah, I know all about S90V, so someone explain the logic in this to me. Please. Magnacut I could understand. S90V...nah. I think anybody who uses one is going to find corrosion, and probably sooner rather than later. The edge will hold a long time, but if your too busy to keep an LC200N edge sharp, I'm guessing you may also be too busy to thoroughly clean S90V, esp down in the pivot area. A hard pass for me.
Didn't Lance say the design is meant as an EDC not just a saltwater knife? Seems the sprint fits perfectly with that intent.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

phaust wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:39 pm
on_the_edge wrote:
Didn't Lance say the design is meant as an EDC not just a saltwater knife? Seems the sprint fits perfectly with that intent.
Maybe, though I have not seen that. Spyderco already has a lot of knives that make great EDCs without another crowding the field even more. What makes the Siren so awesome in my mind is the PE holding ability of LC200N and ease of sharpening without the worry of having to deal with corrosion. I really don't need another EDC nor do I need a Siren with greater edge-holding capabilities.

Creating what is a near perfect saltwater knife right out of the gate makes life difficult for future improvements. LC200N might be unseated by Magnacut in a saltwater knife, but S90V isn't going to do it for me, and I really like S90V.

ETA: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/10/14/ ... e-testing/
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

on_the_edge wrote:
I have had a good experience with cpm 20cv's corrosion resistance. People here seem to have good results with 110v. I am not 100% sure about the 90v
benben

Post by benben »

Man what a great reveal!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

on_the_edge wrote:
Hi ontheedge, I think the idea behind this sprint is not to claim that s90v will deliver “Salt” level corrosion resistance, but rather to illustrate that the Siren design is more than “just a salt knife”. I’m clearly biased but I have wanted from the beginning to see both the Waterway and the Siren offered in non salt versions…I’d actually like to see a tool steel version of the Waterway. Something like 10v…or maybe 4v. Regarding this particular sprint, I’m personally very grateful to see that Spyderco is willing to produce the design in something other than a “salt” steel.

Regarding a Magnacut version of the knife, we are very much in agreement. I would love to see a “full salt” Siren in Magnacut. I would even be willing to commission a run of those myself.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

For me there's only 2 must haves: LeafJumper and that Wharnie Lil Native. That Lil Native reminds me of the Q-Ball (which would still be superior if it had a CBBL). I am tempted by the 15v Manix.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Lil'Temp 3 LW with a SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Quite the Reveal!

If the stars align, I’ll get the Leaf Jumper (gotta support new Glesser models), the 15V Manix2 (this variant of my first-loved Spydie has the most Vs), and the Lil’Native Wharncliffe (didn’t even know I wanted this one, but something about the Q-Ball held me back).

I don’t love my original Stretch2 XL, but the lined G10 in this Reveal just may get me to jump.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:15 pm
on_the_edge wrote:
Hi ontheedge, I think the idea behind this sprint is not to claim that s90v will deliver “Salt” level corrosion resistance, but rather to illustrate that the Siren design is more than “just a salt knife”. I’m clearly biased but I have wanted from the beginning to see both the Waterway and the Siren offered in non salt versions…I’d actually like to see a tool steel version of the Waterway. Something like 10v…or maybe 4v. Regarding this particular sprint, I’m personally very grateful to see that Spyderco is willing to produce the design in something other than a “salt” steel.

Regarding a Magnacut version of the knife, we are very much in agreement. I would love to see a “full salt” Siren in Magnacut. I would even be willing to commission a run of those myself.
Hi, Lance. I appreciate the response and your thoughts behind the rationale for the steel choice. Thank you for that! Hopefully, a Magnacut Siren is down the road somewhere for those of us who love the knife.
mokele

Post by mokele »

I would love to get a printed catalog. How do I order one (I.e. give my address etc)?
Great products indeed!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

mokele wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm
I would love to get a printed catalog. How do I order one (I.e. give my address etc)?
Great products indeed!

Fill out the form in the link below, click on Send and wait a few weeks:
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Panth, Mtb,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I am quite disappointed and don't understand the pricing on the Lil Temperance LW... even if the blade was S30V and not VG-10, it's still quite expensive for what it is.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like too many of the things in this reveal.
Lots to talk about, but I want mention that I’m interested to see where the Leadjumper/Rockjumper goes. I was just thinking of a version with GITD scales because that would be the perfect spelunker’s knife (something I actually intend to do). Could even make it a salt and thus also being maybe better for exploring underwater/very damp caves with dim or no light. Though, I admittedly just like exploring around at night, really admire the Rockjumper/Leafjumper design, and live in salty Florida, so it would be cool if there was a glow in the dark.
Actually, since I’m typing this at night while expecting some stormy weather due to a hurricane, the GITD FRN stuff would be great for power outages or dealing with whatever without much light.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:15 pm
on_the_edge wrote:

Is there a pre-order?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

So cool to finally see the new Lil' Temp lightweights!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram