In Praise of Spyderco Salt Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

In Praise of Spyderco Salt Knives

Post by SpyderGrill »

I spent most of the day installing Hurricane Shutters ahead of IAN. My clothes were soaking wet from swet. Shirt, Shorts, Underwear, Hair, you name it. Like I just came out of the swimming pool.

Around 1:30 a little storm came in so I went home to eat lunch and change into some dry clothes. Nothing like a dry pair of underwear!

Went back out an hour later to finish the job and was wet again.

Last Saturday I pressure washed a pool deck, same conditions.

I love tool steel and a patina but its nice to have a Salt knife in the collection for days like this. I have many Salt knives and love them all knowing no rust will happen.

I came home, showered, and wiped my Pacific Salt with some Alcohol, ready for the next job. Everyone should have at least one.
VooDooChild

Re: In Praise of Spyderco Salt Knives

Post by VooDooChild »

Yeah.
They are what got me into Spyderco. I will probably end up with just a few tool steel knives and a bunch of salts if I ever start selling my possessions.

5 years as a beach lifeguard. In and out of the water every single day. One of them I never even rinsed with fresh water for like 2 years. Constantly getting sand in them as well. The salts held up fine. I was sold.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I cannot overstate my appreciation for the Salt line. It’s really one of the core efforts that sets Spyderco apart from most other knife companies. Thank you, Spyderco!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

salt line is the main reason I got into collecting knives.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
vivi

Post by vivi »

if I lost all my knives in a house fire or some other accident, a Pacific Salt would be the first one I'd pick up. For me there is no better pocket knife, period.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I would do the same. If I had to have only one knife, it would be a Pacific Salt. I also love the others though.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

My knife collection isn’t huge or small but the Pacific Salt after carrying for 30 days sold me to never be without one . I have some favorites but to be truthful the Pacific is close to perfect in all conditions. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

This thread once again makes me jealous that my local laws don’t permit the pacific salt but I will agree with this thread that my salts are my favorite: dragonfly SE, salt 2 h1 PE and SE, and salt 2 lc200n PE.

These would be my last knives I give up. Probably the lc200n salt 2 if forced though the dragonfly was my first and like others it’s what got me into knives and spyderco.

edit: and of course my ladybugs!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll join this chorus without hesitation.

I have eleven different Salt models, including a PE and SE version of the original Pacific Salt, and a pre-need replacement of the latter.

Mine go to work mostly in the yard, now that sailing is in a rear-view mirror where things are farther away than they seem.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

This is my Salt collection so far,,,,

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Big reason I'm so attached to my Autonomy and Caribbean. Design wise they really check a lot of boxes but there is also the Salt bonus.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Same. I’m debating on purchasing a full Spyderedge sheepsfoot Atlantic salt right now. My plain edge SheepsFoot Caribbean is an all time favorite.
Slightly obsessed…
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I found Spyderco via the Aqua Salt, and their commitment to making salt-water friendly knives is what keeps me here.
Arkansaw

Post by Arkansaw »

While we're on the subject, the Native has now had two iterations of the LC200n (yellow, green), yet the Dragonfly has yet to get either... COME ON.
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:01 am
if I lost all my knives in a house fire or some other accident, a Pacific Salt would be the first one I'd pick up. For me there is no better pocket knife, period.
I just quickly ran that terrible scenario through my mind, separating all the really cool knives that I absolutely love and carry from the ones that I really don't carry all the often anymore, but are still great knives. And I have to 100% agree with you, a serrated Pacific Salt would no doubt be the very first knife I'd buy!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have more Salts then I actually need, but I'd buy a few more if there some additional models in G10 or Titanium.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001