Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes or no

Yes
12%
No
71%
Kinda
14%
Yes, but
2%

Total votes: 49

Paraguy

Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Post by Paraguy »

I know triple b has said that spyderco’s k390 is probably their best preforming folfing knife steel if you don’t take stain resistance into account. And I think I’d have to agree with him… Which got me thinking why can’t we just dlc it and make it perfect?
(Micarta or g10, it doesn’t matter)
P.S. I’m also speaking hyperbolically
Last edited by Paraguy on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wandering_About

Re: Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Post by Wandering_About »

I'll take my K390 uncoated, and still prefer G10 on a PM2.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Re: Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Post by vivi »

no. knife is small and corrosion resistance matters.
:unicorn
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I vote no.

Having had a factory micarta pm2, I wholly prefer the g10 version over the micarta.

I also don’t like coated blades.

Green G10 k390 uncoated pm2? Hmmm… bento box sells that, or sold that combo.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:20 pm
I know triple b has said that spyderco’s k390 is probably their best preforming folfing knife steel if you don’t take stain resistance into account. And I think I’d have to agree with him… Which got me thinking why can’t we just dlc it and make it perfect?
From what I understand DLC is porous still allowing rust. I am guessing it has to help some but it also might hide the rust and even get under the coating.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:31 pm
no. knife is small and corrosion resistance matters.
I have some dlc coated 4v and those knives rust about as easily as uncoated cts xhp for me.

Edit: Sometimes I forget how non-mainstream your knife views are! Most people would consider the pm2 to be a big knife. It’s always interesting hearing your perspective though.
Last edited by Paraguy on Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 pm
Paraguy wrote:
From what I understand DLC is porous still allowing rust. I am guessing it has to help some but it also might hide the rust and even get under the coating.
^
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:29 pm
The g10 is not the important part I just threw that in because I thought it would be a popular choice. Do you just prefer to see a nice patina? I find dlc to be very practical. Though I prefer non coated esthetically.
"Some call me...Tim?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
From my understanding DLC is chemically bonded and it should be impossible for rust to form between DLC and the steel.

Either way DLC makes a massive, massive difference in corrosion resistance. I treat DLC folders with coated hardware like Salts basically. Never saw rust on my DLC Manix XL or Yojumbo despite putting them through harsh use.

I've made a bunch of threads on it. The thread detailing me intentionally putting a DLC M4 Manix XL in corrosive environments is a good summation of my results - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:04 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
From my understanding DLC is chemically bonded and it should be impossible for rust to form between DLC and the steel.

Either way DLC makes a massive, massive difference in corrosion resistance. I treat DLC folders with coated hardware like Salts basically. Never saw rust on my DLC Manix XL or Yojumbo despite putting them through harsh use.

I've made a bunch of threads on it. The thread detailing me intentionally putting a DLC M4 Manix XL in corrosive environments is a good summation of my results - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786
I’m just surprised that they haven’t used dlc on a steel like k390. Although I could imagine that having a nice patin could be a selling point if you’re in a less harsh environment…
So Vivi, I understand that you’re a police fan what about a dlc coat on your k390 police?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:02 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:29 pm
The g10 is not the important part I just threw that in because I thought it would be a popular choice. Do you just prefer to see a nice patina? I find dlc to be very practical. Though I prefer non coated esthetically.
I do prefer to see a patina, and I've just always preferred uncoated steel. I've tried a couple coated blades but got rid of them and currently don't own any and do not intend to ever buy any more coated blade knives. Admittedly it's a personal preference, but it's a rather strong one.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:10 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:04 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

I’m just surprised that they haven’t used dlc on a steel like k390. Although I could imagine that having a nice patin could be a selling point if you’re in a less harsh environment…
So Vivi, I understand that you’re a police fan what about a dlc coat on your k390 police?
I think a DLC K390 Police sounds very nice. One in FRN with coated hardware would make me carry a Police again.

Most folks aren't aware of, or actively dispute the fact that DLC improves corrosion resistance. It's not something a lot of people even know about.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:10 pm
Most of Spyderco's K390 comes from Seki City, and it's my understanding that Seki City is set up for TiCN coating, but *not* DLC coating, which is probably why we haven't seen DLC K390.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

No.

I'm not a fan of the compression lock and DLC sucks.

For me, a smoothed-handled Endela in bare K390 is the current king. I was cutting half-inch shrubs branches today with nary a hot spot and still a fine looking edge.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I have green micarta scales on my PM2 in 10v DLC so I think I know what you mean. Definitely not for everyone, but I would agree with anyone that thinks K390/10v is the most enjoyable pocket knife steel to use.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Today, I finally noticed a bit of surface rust on my K390 PM2 (which happens to be wearing Green Canvas Micarta scales from RGT). First time I've had any trouble at all with it in two years - I guess I put it away wet, or something. I got most of it off with an alcohol pad, and will try a scotch brite pad tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try some flitz metal polish. All in all, not much of a big deal.

Anyway, I voted "yes" here. I think that the knife you suggest would tick a lot of boxes for some folks (myself included). However, if the very similar Blade HQ Shamans are any indicator, a satin version may prove more popular - the Satin M4 Shaman sold out relatively quickly, whereas the DLC version is still in stock today.

Man, that's a sweet knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I say it depends how the heat treat is done. There's evidence out there that Seki's heat treat is a few points higher than the K390 Golden has released. So I'd say if the heat treat rival's Seki's then I'm in. I'd love a Native 5 in this combo but I'll take what I can.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't care for the PM2, though it is a really good knife. Put that combo on an Endura and I'd be interested. The DLC (not in Japan) would have to be on the back spring and all metal parts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

On a PM2 I would want a tougher steel. I like K390 though. I would love to see it DLC treated.
I have seen a reviewer who liked the Japanese heat treated K390 over the Golden K390 but I have not done a test myself.
I consider the PM2 with its thinner tip better suited to the likes of Magna Cut with G-10 or carbon fiber. I would like to see a frame lock sprint run with thin scales.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

No, because I've grown to dislike PM2's in general.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet