Milling issue on ripps scales for crucarta pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Briarsmoke

Milling issue on ripps scales for crucarta pm2

Post by Briarsmoke »

Am I missing something here? I bought a set of ripps burlap micarta scales for the spyderco pm2, I have the cpm cruwear model with the flat micarta scales (crucarta). The scales they sent me are milled out and the liners do not fit into the milled out section, as the liners are the exact same dimension as the outer edge of the scales, not the same dimension as the inside edge of the milling. Because of this the screws for the backspacer are now not long enough and the scales do not sit flush against the liners. Am I doing something wrong here? Are there more than 1 size of liners for the pm2?
Michael Janich

Re: Milling issue on ripps scales for crucarta pm2

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Briarsmoke:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The Micarta-handled PM2 is the only PM2 with full liners. All other PM2 models have nested liners. Aftermarket scales are typically made for the style with nested liners, so they will not fit on the full-linered version.

Stay safe,

Mike
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Briarsmoke wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:10 pm
Am I missing something here? I bought a set of ripps burlap micarta scales for the spyderco pm2, I have the cpm cruwear model with the flat micarta scales (crucarta). The scales they sent me are milled out and the liners do not fit into the milled out section, as the liners are the exact same dimension as the outer edge of the scales, not the same dimension as the inside edge of the milling. Because of this the screws for the backspacer are now not long enough and the scales do not sit flush against the liners. Am I doing something wrong here? Are there more than 1 size of liners for the pm2?
What Mike said... but if you are stuck with the new scales you could always sand down the raised part, that should hopefully, with some luck, fit fine then.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mike hit the nail on the head here.

I would recommend against attempting to modify the scales. They're very well made, and cost a pretty penny. Save them for your next PM2, or pass them on to someone else who can use them.

In the meantime, the factory micarta scales are pretty nice!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.