micro-beveling - when to reprofile?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

micro-beveling - when to reprofile?

Post by sethwm »

So I've been using a Golden Stone for a couple months now and I love it. Prior to this, I'd always used the KME when it's time to resharpen. I practice freehanding (on an 800 grit naniwa) on a VG-10 wharncliffe dragonfly, but I'm not good enough at it yet to subject my other knives to that.

Anyway, when using the KME, I do like 17 degrees per side, and I think that's generally what I see the spyderco factory edge at. So the Golden stone is definitely a micro-bevel. As I do more and more micro-bevelling, I'm sure I'm eating into that primary bevel more and more such that I'm getting thicker and thicker behind the edge.

At what point does micro-bevelling at 20dps not do it anymore and I need to reprofile? Is this something I'll just feel as the cutting won't be as smooth? This something people do every N sharpenings regardless? Or is this something that'd take years to get to, even while sharpening twice a week with the golden stone?

Thanks and sorry if this is a rambling question.
Last edited by sethwm on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
troutinCO

Re: micro-beveling - when to profile?

Post by troutinCO »

I'm in on this one for the discussion, I have basically the same question.
JRinFL

Re: micro-beveling - when to reprofile?

Post by JRinFL »

I cannot answer for anyone else, but I'm going to guess that most do it when feels like it needs to be reprofiled/bevels reset. Those who strongly prefer the effortless glide through material will reset the bevels more often. I hate to throw away "good" steel and generally find sharpening to be tedious so I will leave it much longer. Yes, I know that makes the job harder.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I just hit the Sharpmaker when my knives aren’t as sharp as I want them. Brown rods for VG10 and white for HAP40
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I typically reprofile most new blades to either 14 or 18-19dps depending on the intended use then keep them sharp with either the 15 or 20° setting on the Sharpmaker from then on unless I badly damage the edge somehow, then I set the edge on a fixed angle system again. For most common tasks I prefer 14dps then just continue to sharpen at 15° on the Sharpmaker and never worry about profiling again unless something happens.
-Jimmy
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:05 pm
I typically reprofile most new blades to either 14 or 18-19dps depending on the intended use then keep them sharp with either the 15 or 20° setting on the Sharpmaker from then on unless I badly damage the edge somehow, then I set the edge on a fixed angle system again. For most common tasks I prefer 14dps then just continue to sharpen at 15° on the Sharpmaker and never worry about profiling again unless something happens.
This describes my current protocol now. I do a degree or 2 under what the sharpmaker has depending on what use I imagine for the knife on my Hapstone sharpener then use the appropriate sharpmaker setting to touch up.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:05 pm
Great advice and it makes sense since you will just hit the edge with the Sharpmaker.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

It works out well, unless you're a robot you end up with kind of a lightly convexed edge that way and it just kind of all blends together better than a really wide micro bevel.
-Jimmy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When the micro bevel is no longer micro, it becomes another edge bevel. That's when it's time. I only micro bevel to remove burrs anymore.

Cliff sums it up nicely.

https://youtu.be/OPGGo3W15HQ
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

when the microbevel is bigger than a burr it's time to reset the edge.
:unicorn
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:53 pm
when the microbevel is bigger than a burr it's time to reset the edge.
Maybe another way to say that is "when you can see it, it's time"?
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

yes - what Cliff (RIP), David, and vivi said / typed.

u.w.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Each time you micro it will take longer to bring the edge back to the same level of sharpness since the micro is growing and more material will need to be removed to do so. When it takes too long (which is subjective) it's time to reprofile. For me, that works out to be about what others are saying: when you can see the micro. But that depends on the steel. Lc200n for example can take a ton of micro touch ups before it needs to be reprofiled.

Or when you get a chip or roll.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Double tap
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

I just started what I call incremental reprofiling.Mostly on my steak knives because they get the most damage from plates.This is alluded to in the Sharpmaker instructions as back bevelling.Every other sharpening cycle I put the diamond rods in the 15 degree setting and knock the shoulders back or I do it on my coarse hone.If you do it regularly you may never have to do a full reprofile as you're doing it continuously.Just Don't wait real long between sessions.I can feel a marked difference when I do it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

One kind of “when” has been conceptually answered above. Another “when” concerns how long it takes to get the edge you expect. “When” it takes longer and longer, you will know it’s time to reprofile, says this free-hander.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Whenever you want. I am in the camp that mostly uses it to debur but will also use it for quick touch ups sometimes. If I have the time I try to always reset the bevel.

For peak performance you should reset your bevel often. For ease of maintenance you should run a microbevel until microbeveling it takes too long. Resetting the bevel makes microbevel touch ups quicker and easier.

It’s a balance between performance and ease.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I microbevel all my edges. The main reason is ease of sharpening and edge maintenance. Once I have my primary bevel set, I can bring my edge back to hair popping sharp in about 10-20 seconds on the Sharpmaker. If you are hitting a true microbevel then it only takes 6-8 passes to bring a edge back to very high sharpness. When I find that it is taking more than 30 seconds and more than 20-30 passes to get back to shaving sharp then I reprofile. For my siren which gets by far the most use (including several days a week cleaning fish) I touch up the microbevel about once a week and reprofile about twice a year.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:03 pm
I microbevel all my edges. The main reason is ease of sharpening and edge maintenance. Once I have my primary bevel set, I can bring my edge back to hair popping sharp in about 10-20 seconds on the Sharpmaker. If you are hitting a true microbevel then it only takes 6-8 passes to bring a edge back to very high sharpness. When I find that it is taking more than 30 seconds and more than 20-30 passes to get back to shaving sharp then I reprofile. For my siren which gets by far the most use (including several days a week cleaning fish) I touch up the microbevel about once a week and reprofile about twice a year.
What do you use to reprofile your knife? CBN/Diamond rods on the Sharpmaker or a fixed angle system?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:14 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:03 pm
What do you use to reprofile your knife? CBN/Diamond rods on the Sharpmaker or a fixed angle system?
It depends. If I am reprofiling a full on user (like my siren and waterway, I usually just freehand it on a Lansky 320 Diamond. If I am trying to achieve perfection I will use my KME. (If it is only a small job I will sometimes just use the SM + diamond rods.)