Native 5 Fluted CF disassembly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bizzarrini

Native 5 Fluted CF disassembly?

Post by Bizzarrini »

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a second hand Native 5 Fluted Carbon Fiber S90v. I'd like to clean the pivot and washers to smoothen the action a bit. I've removed the screws but I can't seem to pry apart the scales. While watching the Nick Shabazz review, he also mentioned trouble with disassembly. Any tips?

Kind regards,
Ward
PStone

Re: Native 5 Fluted CF disassembly?

Post by PStone »

It’s likely just a well fitting stop pin. They can be tight. Just keep at it with your fingers. Wiggle what you can. It will loosen up. Once it gets started it will become easier to wiggle. Then it’ll pop right off. I wouldn’t recommend prying in there with anything.

Another thing I learned for disassembly, was to remove all screws while both scales are attached. There is no metal support for the D shaped pivot, and both scales are need to support it enough to hold it in place. Otherwise you risk rounding the D shape in the carbon fiber.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I didnt have any problem, but the stop pin might indeed be the culprit.

I personally disassembled it several times without any issues, but the octogonal shape pivot having no liners to sit in, I try to avoid unnecessary disassembly because the CF is not very durable at its thinnest points.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bizzarrini

Post by Bizzarrini »

Thanks a lot for your replies and tips!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Have to add to my earlier post. I meant to say lockbar pivot pin and not stop pin. But it is supposed to be a tight fit.