I can’t deny my knife crush on the Spydiechef.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

I can’t deny my knife crush on the Spydiechef.

Post by Fireman »

First off, I love LC200N. It is just amazing. I love the way the edge holds up due to toughness and how easy it is to tune up and it strops up like a dream. Secondly, it carrie’s well in my waistband. Tricely, It is an awesome design. I do pine for 1/2” longer in blade length but as is, with my XL hands, it just works. I use it for food prep and the occasional EDC uses. It is pretty easy to forget that you are carrying it due to its unobtrusive proportions. Even though it is not as big as I would like, I carry it enough that it keeps getting regular use. The adage of a 9 on you is better than a 45 in the truck applies here quite well. For work, the millie is my constant companion and darling but off duty, the endura (a lightweight dream for gym shorts) and the Chef keep getting tons of use. I love how impervious the Chef is to sweat and acidic foods. I even carried it everywhere in Vegas, including the swimming pools.

Some thoughts on alternatives to the great Spydiechef…
1 a lightweight Internal scale milling version to reduce some weight for lightweight clothing. Perhaps Magna Cut?
2 an XL lockback version with FRN scales.

Thank you Spyderco for such a dream of a knife.

I think I need to add the LC200N Endura to my collection and hope for a LC200N Wharnie version.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Re: I can’t deny my knife crush on the Spydiechef.

Post by Evil D »

I like just about everything about it but I've stubbornly avoided it because of two reasons, one being size and two (oddly enough) being the blade angle. I get that the blade angle is the whole point but it wouldn't suit me for EDC so I really would want it longer for food prep. What I really wanted was a ~4 inch version in a linerless Salt style handle, to make it a more legit folding kitchen knife. I did a thread once asking about interest in the idea and it went nowhere, seems to me more people like it just as a titanium pocket knife than as an actual folding food prep knife. I still think the lightweight idea has tons of potential.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Seems most Spydie fans are used to seeing negative blade angles for power cutting. The SpydieChef shines for slicing cuts, thrust cuts and skinning. A little pricey to take a gamble that you'll like it. I'm glad I did. Not what most would consider for EDC, but incredibly useful for certain applications and situations. For me, it's one of the all time great designs.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

As a folding EDC paring knife, it works. The ratios of blade edge to OAL is awesome. Just a tad shorter than the endura in edge length but much shorter overall
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

I love mine for a smaller carry option. Carrying it today as a matter of fact. If they released an XL version I would buy immediately.
Slightly obsessed…
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Spydiechef is fantastic. It displaced my previous favourite framelock EDC, the Sage 2, that says a lot.

I normally prefer a negative blade angle, but quickly got used to the positive angle and unconventional blade shape. It is very practical. It would be even better if it was slightly larger.

I like LC200N, it works well for cutting soft material like food, which is the main purpose of this design. It is very tough, but it is also soft and deforms easily. I would like to see the Spydiechef in a harder steel with better edge stability, to make it more versatile for general EDC. My gut feel is that something like Magnacut would be great in this model.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

I'm curious about that mythical Spydiechef 2 prototype.

If it's ever released, I'd like to see a backlock version.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Teddy0215 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:19 am
If they released an XL version I would buy immediately.
So much this!
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:26 am
Teddy0215 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:19 am
If they released an XL version I would buy immediately.
So much this!
That’s not to say I don’t love mine, because I do. The handle is fine for my large size hands, but I would love an extra inch on the blade. I know your hands are much bigger than mine.
Slightly obsessed…
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

I would love to see it thinner behind the blade edge so it could be a more slicey kitchen style knife. Aside from that i absolutely love it!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

huyfishin wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:23 am
I would love to see it thinner behind the blade edge so it could be a more slicey kitchen style knife. Aside from that i absolutely love it!
A thin BTE blurple 110V Shaman does sound intriguing
Bizzarrini

Post by Bizzarrini »

Same here, the chef is my most used Spyderco knife by far, but a tad thinner and perhaps half an inch longer blade would be absolutely perfect.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

I used my Spydiechef to skin a Whitetail deer last fall. It worked excellent, that blade belly is really good for skinning and the grip was just fine, did not experience any slippage. Since then I've pressed it into some gardening work and general EDC. Got it pretty dirty and to the point it wouldn't reliably slice paper but still had a decent working edge. After sharpening it's back as a super slicer. I wouldn't change a thing with the design, it's good-to-go!!
Dave
USAF Retired
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Indeed the Chef is uniquely amazing.

It was the model that really got me into Spyderco folders after knowing of the company for decades and using the santoku daily for 15 years.

Now I have many more Spydercos and the Chef is still a fave.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I loved mine and the steel is great. But I sold it because I found myself not using it when I wanted (cooking while camping) because I was too nervous about losing it given the price. My vg-10 serrated endela is what I ended up turning too all the time.

The endela has stained a little bit I don’t care. And it cuts bread!
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I have one. I wish it was bigger. The steel is meh. The design is quite nice though.
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I enjoy mine, blue version from Knifejoy. I cannot tell if I want a larger thumb hole or larger access to the thumb hole, or both...
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

It is my favorite Spyderco so far. And by far! I have a PM2, Birdseye Chapparal and a Native 5 Carbon. If there is a SpydieChef 2, I am in.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I have been thinking about getting one for a long time. I am hoping for a Magnacut version soon. :crossed-fingers
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

The Spydiechef has been my favorite Spyderco for a number of years. It never left my pocket until recently. My Wife ordered two of them for me as a present and she had both engraved with a special phrase with a lot of meaning to the both of us. She is divorcing me even though I didn't want the divorce but she wasn't open to anything else. Now she is with another so I gave her both of my beloved Spydiechefs back. I couldn't keep them or carry them anymore. The pain is too great and I haven't been able to afford or bring myself to buy another one. It's still my all time favorite Spyderco and I recommend it to everyone that ask for a recommendation in that price range. I am not sure if I will ever own another one but at least it makes me happy to see others enjoying the Spydiechef as much as I did.