Work vs. "play" knives: I'm not the only one who does this, right?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Work vs. "play" knives: I'm not the only one who does this, right?

Post by zuludelta »

Anyone else have multiple versions of the same model, one for use at work, another for personal carry? 90% of my folding knife use occurs at my job, so when I like a model, I will try to get a version of it for dedicated work use, often in a steel (such as S110V, S90V, K390, ZDP-189, or Maxamet) or edge configuration (SE in LC200N) that offers more edge holding than in the base model. The current exceptions to this scheme are the Yojimbo 2, as I'm wary of importing an expensive US distributor/retailer-exclusive in S90V across the border, and the PM2—my "work PM2" is in CruWear, which has slightly less wear resistance than my base model S30V, but the former's significant toughness advantage contributes to what feels like better overall edge stability.
20220923_071816.jpg
This scheme lets me put my work knives on a different sharpening/touch-up schedule than my EDC/personal carry knives, so I don't have to worry about going to work with a dull Endura 4 the day after, say, spending a weekend in the woods whittling sticks or other fun knife-centric & knife-adjacent activities.
20220923_071801.jpg
So, does anybody else do this, or am I crazy & have a knife problem? (I do realize that one does not necessarily preclude the other ha ha ha)
Evil D

Re: Work vs. "play" knives: I'm not the only one who does this, right?

Post by Evil D »

Not of the same model but I definitely have ones I'll use for work and ones that are more casual carry. Part of it is that some of my knives can't be replaced and I don't want to ruin them at work, and part is that I have pretty specific needs when it comes to work and I put a lot of value into muscle memory especially at work so I like to use one and only one knife for my actual job. I'll sometimes bring along other knives for the sake of testing but only when the situation allows for more casual use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I, like you really only use my knives at work or at home when I'm doing work outside. Other than that I carry a Manbug Wharnie around the house for little odds and ends things. Because I don't really need or use a knife outside of those purposes (no food for folders here!) I don't find the need to double up. I'm past the point of thinking I need a backup for favorite knives...there are so many knives out there these days, chances are pretty likely there's something out there that would peak my interests if I were to lose a knife, or break a blade, etc.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:21 am
Not of the same model but I definitely have ones I'll use for work and ones that are more casual carry. Part of it is that some of my knives can't be replaced and I don't want to ruin them at work, and part is that I have pretty specific needs when it comes to work and I put a lot of value into muscle memory especially at work so I like to use one and only one knife for my actual job.
This. "Muscle memory" is something I lean on a lot when using knives during fast-paced work. I use a Yojimbo 2 as my work knife 3 days out of 5 (the other 2 days being rotating slots for either old favourites or new models I want to try out) & using it has become second nature to me.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:25 am
I, like you really only use my knives at work or at home when I'm doing work outside. Other than that I carry a Manbug Wharnie around the house for little odds and ends things.
A serrated Manbug used to be my "real EDC", the one knife I took with me almost everywhere (I had it on my house keys keychain). So much capability in such a small package. I've since reverted to using my old DF2 as my carry-everywhere knife, though. It's not much bigger than the Manbug, & the clip lets me keep it readily accessible in a different pocket from my keys: After almost losing my house keys when I dropped my Manbug into a river while using it outdoors, I reconsidered the wisdom of keeping my knife attached to my house &/or car keys.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:29 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:21 am
Not of the same model but I definitely have ones I'll use for work and ones that are more casual carry. Part of it is that some of my knives can't be replaced and I don't want to ruin them at work, and part is that I have pretty specific needs when it comes to work and I put a lot of value into muscle memory especially at work so I like to use one and only one knife for my actual job.
This. "Muscle memory" is something I lean on a lot when using knives during fast-paced work. I use a Yojimbo 2 as my work knife 3 days out of 5 (the other 2 days being rotating slots for either old favourites or new models I want to try out) & using it has become second nature to me.

I've experienced "lock confusion" and things like that in less than extreme situations, so I'm very careful to avoid it when it might cause an accident. My job isn't always that serious but I like to keep myself at that level of seriousness. I can play around with other models in my back yard.
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Retired now, but I used to have separate work and "play" knives, but that had more to do with where I worked (Federal building). Very much not the same models; my last five years at work it was a custom wharncliffe whittler.
Skar

Post by Skar »

No...
I dont dedícate knives to work or home, edc.
I just grab one I want for the day. I really dont put to much thought into it. Other than if I may go swimming.
I also only carry one knife, I dont have any use other than one.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

There's no use for a knife or any tools in my job. However, I also work from home entirely too, so I can carry whatever knife I want to all day. It's usually my v-toku Delica and an SAK.
--Jeremy
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Well my work is an environment that is rather hard on knives scratching , nicking , corrosion, …
So i indeed have my “work” knives. Those are mostly the budget models and stuff like a Manix Lw.
I do not bond with those so they are easily replaced if damaged or lost.
The moment i come home those beaters go out of the pocket and then the normal edc rotation begins with my favorites like the old Manixes , Manix 2 XL, Manix 2’s , Yojimbo 2 ,… So all get used.
And then i have a small piece of my collection that are the real safequeens.
Spydies like the Nirvana or the Nib original Manixes and my customized Manixes offcourse.
So in percentage i have 30% beaters , 50% users and 20% safequeens. :smlling-eyes
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am
There's no use for a knife or any tools in my job. However, I also work from home entirely too, so I can carry whatever knife I want to all day. It's usually my v-toku Delica and an SAK.

I would be carrying the most ridiculous knives just so I can say I carry a Tatanka everyday at work 🤣
~David
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:06 pm
kerrcobra wrote:

I would be carrying the most ridiculous knives just so I can say I carry a Tatanka everyday at work 🤣
I just had to look up the Tatanka. I had no idea it was that big. 11" overall when it's opened! And I thought the Police was huge.

Not to get off topic, but I do have the new Cold Steel 3V Laredo Bowie sitting on my desk next to me. It arrived last night, so I've been fiddling with it the whole time. To get back on topic, I also still have my Delica with me too.
--Jeremy
z1r

Post by z1r »

I do have what I consider "work" knives and carry knives often the same model and often the same steel but sometimes variations of the model. But, like the OP, when I find one I really like, I get a second or third.

Like the K390 Endela, got two. The ZDP DF2, got 3. These two are my primary EDC's.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:06 pm
kerrcobra wrote:

My work pants are very heavy. I have Tatanka Tuesday many times a year. :cheap-sunglasses

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I have a bizarro world version of this. I’m a guitarist so when I’m out on the job, I tend to carry my smaller, less intimidating looking stuff like a dragonfly or a lil native. They disappear really well in suit jacket pockets, too…so it’s kind of a win-win

But when I’m out fishing, hunting or getting stuff done around my shop, it’s always a shaman, caribbean, endura, etc.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

I don't differentiate in the knife as much as I do the steel, everythings dirty and gritty at work. Current Spyderco work knives are a GB2. K390 Endura, and a Canis. Canis is an awesome blade design and lock for me for work, perfect if it came in a steel like the other two and slightly longer blade. It's an interesting idea though.
Andrew
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I don't really have backups or many duplicates, but I definitely have work knifes and play knives. I work in an environment full of snowflakes where a larger knife, if seen, may cause hurt feelings that necessitate a cry closet. :eye-roll So I generally carry a smaller (less scary) folder at work. Chaparral, Lil Native, and Dragonfly get a lot of work rotation.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Depends on the pants. Dragonfly rides daily in the office and off work.

If I’m working in the field (I.e. BFE) i carry the para 3.

No such thing as a work v. Play knife for me. They all work.