Calendar contest prize giveaway contest! ENDED

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Calendar contest prize giveaway contest!

Post by mb1 »

@Evil D these are all the same magnification/zoom level right? Wasn’t sure how you assembled either the knives or pics…
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:45 pm
@Evil D these are all the same magnification/zoom level right? Wasn’t sure how you assembled either the knives or pics…

Yes the only thing edited in that pic is contrast/saturation/temperature and that sort of thing, those are all physically in the same place and the same distance from the camera.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Right on. Just making sure you weren’t fooling us with a SE Dragonfly or something. :). It’s a great pic man. I enjoy detail shots.

I’ll go with this:

1. Spyderhawk
2. Military
3. Caribbean
4. Ulize
5. Shaman
6. Sliverax
- Mark

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well guys you had me feeling kinda bad like I made this too hard? I was so sure this right here was a dead giveaway:

On the top corner you know it's PE, but that line on the bottom right I was sure would give it away. How many knives has Spyderco made that have a hard edge in the side of the blade, and what kind of knife could that be? Maybe a.....TANTO!

So yeah I had to take apart 6 knives to make this shot, and ended up only being able to get 5 taken apart because that M4 tanto Para 2 wasn't coming apart so I made it work. As I said before I really wanted to get more edges into that shot but this was honestly a PITA so I stopped at 6 edges.

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:33 pm
Thanks for the very generous contest, David!

I think I’ve got a close guess, but I’m wondering if you might be willing to say if every edge is from a different model/platform or if a repeat is possible? Thanks!

In the mean time, here’s my current feeling:
1. Spyderhawk
2. Rock Lobster
3. Non-CQI Military
4. Ulize
5. Shaman
6. Sliverax

I thought I made it too hard until this post right here, and then I started wondering if Attila was secretly stalking me because this guess was almost spot on, even the non-CQI Military part was correct and I thought was smart thinking since the current CQI Military has not been offered in SE. The only one you got wrong was the Sliverax but given how much I like that model I can't say it was a bad guess.

So.... consolation prize....do you want the knife or the mug? Your pick 😁
~David
mb1

Re: Calendar contest prize giveaway contest! ENDED

Post by mb1 »

Dang David. That was a lot of work to get that shot! Well deserved win.

I didn’t even notice the tanto detail and still couldn’t pick that one after your clue.

Great sleuthing Atilla!
- Mark

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thanks for the behind the scenes David. Very cool and well deserved win on your part with all that work.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Super generous giveaway, David! This was a fun and cool way to generate forum engagement! Your calendar photo was great and I was happy to see it win.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Awesome David ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Congrats to attila and thanks to Evil D for organizing this, it's a really kind gesture.

Seeing how you planned this beautiful shot of yours really motivates me to go nuts next year !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nice to see how much effort you had to go to, to get that shot.
:respect
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I couldn’t even figure it out with the red marks showing me what I was supposed to be looking at. :eye-roll :rofl

That photo was a lot of work. Glad it made the calendar. Like I said earlier, that’s one of the most “syderco-ey” photos I’ve seen submitted. Tight work!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

never would've guessed the rock lobster. i saw the curved line, but couldn't figure it out. i thought the blade was facing the opposite direction, so it threw me off. i had 4/6 right though. great job on the photo and giveaway. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
attila

Post by attila »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:01 am
Well guys you had me feeling kinda bad like I made this too hard? I was so sure this right here was a dead giveaway:

On the top corner you know it's PE, but that line on the bottom right I was sure would give it away. How many knives has Spyderco made that have a hard edge in the side of the blade, and what kind of knife could that be? Maybe a.....TANTO!

So yeah I had to take apart 6 knives to make this shot, and ended up only being able to get 5 taken apart because that M4 tanto Para 2 wasn't coming apart so I made it work. As I said before I really wanted to get more edges into that shot but this was honestly a PITA so I stopped at 6 edges.

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:33 pm
Thanks for the very generous contest, David!

I think I’ve got a close guess, but I’m wondering if you might be willing to say if every edge is from a different model/platform or if a repeat is possible? Thanks!

In the mean time, here’s my current feeling:
1. Spyderhawk
2. Rock Lobster
3. Non-CQI Military
4. Ulize
5. Shaman
6. Sliverax

I thought I made it too hard until this post right here, and then I started wondering if Attila was secretly stalking me because this guess was almost spot on, even the non-CQI Military part was correct and I thought was smart thinking since the current CQI Military has not been offered in SE. The only one you got wrong was the Sliverax but given how much I like that model I can't say it was a bad guess.

So.... consolation prize....do you want the knife or the mug? Your pick 😁
WHOA!!! I had my doubts about a few of my choices, especially that last one!

I didn’t know that you had a Tanto PM2, and I even saw that discoloration, but I had to take a guess. I didn’t even consider that it could be a bevel change.

I’m very grateful for being the winner, and I have been interested in trying SPY27, so that’s what I’ll choose.

Thanks again!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:43 pm

WHOA!!! I had my doubts about a few of my choices, especially that last one!

I didn’t know that you had a Tanto PM2, and I even saw that discoloration, but I had to take a guess. I didn’t even consider that it could be a bevel change.

I’m very grateful for being the winner, and I have been interested in trying SPY27, so that’s what I’ll choose.

Thanks again!!

Well now ya just have to wait for the prizes to ship ;)

I'll PM you when I get the package and we'll work out shipping.
~David
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

If Evil D starts complaining in a few days about missing screws we know why this time… ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

apollo wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:31 am
If Evil D starts complaining in a few days about missing screws we know why this time… ;)

Nah they're all back together. The bowl system works pretty well. That Ulize is a bit of a bear to get back together though.
~David
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:40 am
apollo wrote:

Nah they're all back together. The bowl system works pretty well. That Ulize is a bit of a bear to get back together though.
I had some luck last week with cleaning and changing scales on one of my pm2’s.
Got a phone call and my phone was charging when going to pick up one of my dogs apparently was curious what i was doing so he pushed over the bowl with small parts and ended up with a missing bushing… took me 45 minuts to find the darn thing. :squinting-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

apollo wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:44 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:40 am
apollo wrote:

I had some luck last week with cleaning and changing scales on one of my pm2’s.
Got a phone call and my phone was charging when going to pick up one of my dogs apparently was curious what i was doing so he pushed over the bowl with small parts and ended up with a missing bushing… took me 45 minuts to find the darn thing. :squinting-tongue

Yep I have two very curious cats who would have jumped on that TV tray table as soon as I walked away. It's like living with toddlers that never grow up.
~David
attila

Post by attila »

Thank you, David!
BA4B7F64-0FCC-4567-9786-FD8C9E196664.jpeg
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Really cool thing to do David, and congrats to Attila for winning. Enjoy that new Native!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.