Is the Yojumbo flickable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Retlawman590

Re: Is the Yojumbo flickable?

Post by Retlawman590 »

James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:15 pm
Retlawman590 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:33 pm
harpo1 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:32 am
Practice more. The Ayoob reverse flicks just fine.
Thanks, I've tried and it's impossible. I have a very, very strong detent. When I unlock the knife with the backlock, the blade drops only 90 degrees. I then need to press down on it with my strong handed pointer over the top to lock. It won't drop shut, no matter how much I shake it. The final 35 to45 degrees it will slam shut on its own. It actually reopens fully if I try shaking it to close at 90 degrees. Thanks

Just curious. Why is it so important that a knife have ‘drop-shutty’ action, from unlocking all the way to fully closed? I would rather it not, especially with a back lock. Is it really that inconvenient to add one little extra step in closing a back lock? Several years ago, I had a CS Triad Lock knife (which is basically a modified back lock) that I accidentally loosened too much swing shut on my index finger when I tried unlocking it with one hand. Cutting a tendon in your finger is no joke. Sure it was operator error, as I shouldn’t have attempted that. But sooner or later, EVERY knife afi is going to be negligent here and there.

Jim
It's really not that important. It's just different from all my other folders and my first back lock. I do love the Ayoob!! I have the PE and waiting to add the SE. As for the Yojumbo, I was just curious because of the different opinions out there. Thanks
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's cool because Nick Shabbazz says so and all his little sheep follow suit. I hate how his influence and vocabulary makes its way to the forum. :eye-roll :eye-roll
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:29 pm
It's cool because Nick Shabbazz says so and all his little sheep follow suit. I hate how his influence and vocabulary makes its way to the forum. :eye-roll :eye-roll
I love “Shebazzisms” :winking-tongue
Also “Metal Complexisms”
There is “Knife nerdery” and there is “knife spazery”
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:54 pm
If you have a backlock that drops shut, I would be surprised. I was not aware that any did that. In my experience when adjusted properly they drop to about 90 degrees and you close the rest with your fingers. Just the nature of the backlock having tension on the blade at all times. The slam shut towards the end is why some love a backlock. It wants to stay closed.

I think I'm misunderstanding something about all this... because I have several back locks that drop shut, but not completely because my finger is in the way. I guess if I tried that wonky index finger method and try to close it like a compression lock it would probably close all the way? My Ayoobs all drop like a rock when I hit the button, especially my old original one and my stainless Police probably drops shut better than most knives of any lock type because the blade has a surprising amount of mass and the pivot action is fantastic on that knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:18 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:54 pm
If you have a backlock that drops shut, I would be surprised. I was not aware that any did that. In my experience when adjusted properly they drop to about 90 degrees and you close the rest with your fingers. Just the nature of the backlock having tension on the blade at all times. The slam shut towards the end is why some love a backlock. It wants to stay closed.

I think I'm misunderstanding something about all this... because I have several back locks that drop shut, but not completely because my finger is in the way. I guess if I tried that wonky index finger method and try to close it like a compression lock it would probably close all the way? My Ayoobs all drop like a rock when I hit the button, especially my old original one and my stainless Police probably drops shut better than most knives of any lock type because the blade has a surprising amount of mass and the pivot action is fantastic on that knife.
I think he was referring to after the initial 90 degree drop. Yes they drop to 90 degrees, but after that he had to use another finger to close it the rest of the way. It would not "drop shut" from there. That is how I read it. It is the post right before mine. The back locks drop to 90 degrees. Especially, the golden back locks. But you can't shake them shut from that point once you move your fingers out of the way. You have to use a finger to close the rest of the way. I think that is what he was referring to.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:29 pm
You should start a youtube channel, Rick. I'd watch that.. :winking-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..