Is the Yojumbo flickable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Retlawman590

Is the Yojumbo flickable?

Post by Retlawman590 »

Hi,

I'm looking into another Spydie. I have the PM2 and Manix XL which are flickable and a new sprint run of the Ayoob which is not. I have seen different youtube videos saying and showing that the Yojumbo is flickable and others saying it's not. Can I get first hand opinions? I love being able to Spydie flick.

Thanks
yablanowitz

Re: Is the Yojumbo flickable?

Post by yablanowitz »

The Ayoob is a backlock, the Yojumbo is a compression lock. The lockbar on the Ayoob is under spring pressure and riding on the tang throughout the blade travel. On the Yojumbo, once you overcome the detent there is only a tiny contact point riding on the tang, just like your PM2.

I don't "flick" my knives, so you'll have to draw your own conclusions. The Yojumbo has a longer, heavier blade than the PM2, and the DLC coated version can be inertial opened, if that helps.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's your determining factor on a knife...if it's flickable?

You're going to miss out on a ton of great knives because of that pointless factor/mentality.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Like a booger
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yes.
:unicorn
benben

Post by benben »

Yes, quicker than a switchblade! It’s the combo of that big ole fat heavy blade and the compression lock.
Last edited by benben on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Yojumbo= Yes flickable.

Both of my Ayoobs are smooth and have a great action. They are very flickable for a back lock design. Admittedly with more misfire openings than a compression lock design though. Your mileage may very.
•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can flick my ayoob as well. but, yes, the yojimbo is much easier to flick. it would have similar action to your pm2 because they share the same lock. it actually flicks nicer and with more authority because of that thick blade stock. it's a wonderful knife.

eta: sorry i read "yojimbo" instead of "yojumbo." shouldn't change my answer though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yes, as every Spyderco knife I own (edit: except the swayback, the Des Horn yes, but not the Swayback obviously). But I'd like to add to what ladybug93 said.

The Yojimbo is even better. I sold mine because a friend wanted it, and I (at the time) had found a good place to buy it cheap. Sadly it never came back as cheap as 130€, and now I don't have one :squinting-tongue. Rambling over, sorry.

But except for really big hands, I think the Yojimbo 2 is just the sum of so many good factors, the size, the different grips it can be held in (close or open). The action is the best compression lock action I've experienced, the detent on the sample I had was just perfect.
Last edited by Ramonade on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Yes and no.

I can flick both my Yojumbo and Ayoob, and I will have to say that my Ayoob is easier to flick. I think if you are having a hard time with the Ayoob the Yojumbo may give you problems as well. I’ll all comes down to technique and how broken in the the knife is. I can easily flick all my back locks and liner locks as easy as my comp locks, except for maybe my salts. That shouldn’t be the deciding factor. Now, knives that are hard to flick are the ones where the bottom of the holes are obstructed like the Swayback. But even then you just do it with your left hand!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I find the Yojimbo one of the most fidgetie knives :winking-tongue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:10 am
Like a booger

So you're saying the blade will stick to my finger and eventually get wiped onto the bathroom stall door?

I better start doing some finger exercises

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

You might need to practice more. The ayoob is pretty easy to flick.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:41 am
Thanks, flicking the Ayoob with my but reverse middle finger is impossible. I am fine if I can't spidie flick the Yojumbo, but I prefer if I could. Just another way to deploy. In a stressful defensive situation, I know I would be using my thumb as in the Ayoob.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:08 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:10 am
Like a booger

So you're saying the blade will stick to my finger and eventually get wiped onto the bathroom stall door?

I better start doing some finger exercises

LOL! I am just glad
You didn’t say you’d eat it!!
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:58 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:41 am
Thanks, flicking the Ayoob with my reverse middle finger is impossible. I am fine if I can't spidie flick the Yojumbo, but I prefer if I could. Just another way to deploy. In a stressful defensive situation, I know I would be using my thumb as in the Ayoob.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Practice more. The Ayoob reverse flicks just fine.
--Pete
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

harpo1 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:32 am
Thanks, I've tried and it's impossible. I have a very, very strong detent. When I unlock the knife with the backlock, the blade drops only 90 degrees. I then need to press down on it with my strong handed pointer over the top to lock. It won't drop shut, no matter how much I shake it. The final 35 to45 degrees it will slam shut on its own. It actually reopens fully if I try shaking it to close at 90 degrees. Thanks
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If you have a backlock that drops shut, I would be surprised. I was not aware that any did that. In my experience when adjusted properly they drop to about 90 degrees and you close the rest with your fingers. Just the nature of the backlock having tension on the blade at all times. The slam shut towards the end is why some love a backlock. It wants to stay closed.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
James Y

Post by James Y »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:33 pm
harpo1 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:32 am
Thanks, I've tried and it's impossible. I have a very, very strong detent. When I unlock the knife with the backlock, the blade drops only 90 degrees. I then need to press down on it with my strong handed pointer over the top to lock. It won't drop shut, no matter how much I shake it. The final 35 to45 degrees it will slam shut on its own. It actually reopens fully if I try shaking it to close at 90 degrees. Thanks

Just curious. Why is it so important that a knife have ‘drop-shutty’ action, from unlocking all the way to fully closed? I would rather it not, especially with a back lock. Is it really that inconvenient to add one little extra step in closing a back lock? Several years ago, I had a CS Triad Lock knife (which is basically a modified back lock) that I accidentally loosened too much swing shut on my index finger when I tried unlocking it with one hand. Cutting a tendon in your finger is no joke. Sure it was operator error, as I shouldn’t have attempted that. But sooner or later, EVERY knife afi is going to be negligent here and there.

Jim