Blurple - ing more Golden Models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mpc2

Blurple - ing more Golden Models

Post by mpc2 »

I would buy a S110V Shaman and a S110V Para 3 Lightweight.
Is there interest in these things?
Are there plans for these things, even if very far away?
Coastal

Re: Blurple - ing more Golden Models

Post by Coastal »

It seems like S110V is pretty polarizing. I doubt there would be a lot of interest.
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:26 am
It seems like S110V is pretty polarizing. I doubt there would be a lot of interest.
That may well be true. But there is enough interest in the existing models that they were out of stock everywhere for quite some time. So there is greater than zero interest, at least.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I don't know, here in France the PM2 and Military in S110V seem to sell like hot cakes. But most happy customers don't come back to sing praises. And since S110V is a particular steel, we see some feedback saying it's too chippy to use or stuff like that.

I personally love my N5 LW and UKPK in this steel !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd like to try S110V at some point, as I've heard it's somewhat comparable to ZDP-189 (and I really like ZDP-189). I'd especially love to try this in a long, slicey model like the Military or Native Chief.

I really don't like the Blurple color. If I bought something that color I know I'd probably buy aftermarket scales for it immediately. To be fair though, I might do that regardless of scale color.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really love the Blurple G10. It is honestly probably my favorite G10 color. Not a huge fan of S110V unfortunately though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

mpc2 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 pm
Coastal wrote:
That may well be true. But there is enough interest in the existing models that they were out of stock everywhere for quite some time. So there is greater than zero interest, at least.
Don't get me wrong; I have a PM2 and a Manix 2 in S110V. I have nothing against S110V, but I haven't used it a lot compared with other steels. Blurple G10 is easily my favorite color Spyderco G10, as well. I just don't see a lot of consistency of opinion for the steel in this or other forums, and a lot of people seem to dislike blurple.
Last edited by Coastal on Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had the Military version of this knife and couldn't stand the color. Never had to reprofile the blade, just a couple touch ups. I never had any chipping issues with it working in the warehouse.

I think it's probably one of those echo chamber kind of steels...two people say it's chippy and have experienced some to a degree, so then everyone jumps on that train and says it's chippy or hard to sharpen, when chances are they have never even used the steel, or don't even know how to sharpen in the first place! I feel like S110V gets that a lot.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Not Golden models, but I'd take a S110v blurple Smock or Ikuchi.
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:39 pm
I had the Military version of this knife and couldn't stand the color. Never had to reprofile the blade, just a couple touch ups. I never had any chipping issues with it working in the warehouse.

I think it's probably one of those echo chamber kind of steels...two people say it's chippy and have experienced some to a degree, so then everyone jumps on that train and says it's chippy or hard to sharpen, when chances are they have never even used the steel, or don't even know how to sharpen in the first place! I feel like S110V gets that a lot.
I started a reprofile of my S110V military on a 320 grit SIC stone, and I must say it is noticeably less stubborn than REX 45 in that regard.

I completely agree on your second paragraph.
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:18 pm
mpc2 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 pm
Coastal wrote:
Don't get me wrong; I have a PM2 and a Manix 2 in S110V. I have nothing against S110V, but I haven't used it a lot compared with other steels. Blurple G10 is easily my favorite color Spyderco G10, as well. I just don't see a lot of consistency of opinion for the steel in this or other forums, and a lot of people seem to dislike blurple.
I agree, forums don´t seem to like S110V a lot , and seem to be split 50/50 on the color.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

*grandpa back'n muh day voice*

I remember at one point it was said that all the Golden models would get this combo but it never happened. It blows my mind how the perception of this steel has changed in the last 10 years. In ~2010 you could only get it in something like a custom Strider or something else custom, and when Spyderco said eh we'll just go ahead and make it standard production it was one of the most badass moves I've seen this company make. It's situations like this that make me think people don't realize what they really want or what compromises they have to make to get it. If you want extreme edge retention and corrosion resistance that's approaching the likes of LC200N then this is the steel you want. It may chip before it rolls but apex your edge cleanly and don't leave a burr and 99% of those problems are gone. Silicon carbide is your bff.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I've grown very fond of my S110V UKPK.

I wasn't too keen on the blue-purple of the G10 models, but I recently bought the first blurple G10, a Military, and I must say it blends quite well with blue jeans.

I think S110V's fantasic corrosion resistance is a very desirable attribute for such a high-wear steel, that gets a bit lost in the noise. I haven't experienced chipping, even on a significantly thinned-out Manix LW. 👍

Honestly I'm not too sure about a S110V Shaman. I think its burly frame is best suited for micarta and tool steel.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Love me some S110V, although at this point I have all the models I really want in S110V. Still think it's remarkable that Spyderco offers this as a standard line steel, it's pretty wild stuff, really. So far I have not found it to be particularly prone to chipping, despite its reputation on the internet.

Edit to add a link to Larrin's article on S110V, because it's a cool read about a fascinating steel: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/11/23/ ... roperties/
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is my favorite color that Spyderco has. I would love to see more of it in any good steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd definitely buy a Para 3 in s110v. Not so much a Shaman. I feel like s110v really shines in small, light knives. It has a great combination of stainlessness and edge holding for a low maintenance folder, but for something bigger (and for harder use) like the Shaman, I'd worry about the edge stability.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

S110V Manix XL or a Shaman would definitely interest me.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Huge props to spyderco for bringing S110v to production, but it just never clicked with me like M4/K390 steels. It was a mind blowing move at the time though, and I'm sure it brought a lot of people to a new level of steel appreciation.

I still carry my S110v Manix2 LW in my swim trucks around the yard all summer and it performs well and is nearly impervious to corrosion, but as soon as the Magnacut Salt drops its going to be out of a job.

If Golden S110v models in blue were to give way to 10v production models in green (just like Seki ZDP189 models in green gave way to K390 in blue) I would be stoked! :cheap-sunglasses :bug-red
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:06 am
Love me some S110V, although at this point I have all the models I really want in S110V. Still think it's remarkable that Spyderco offers this as a standard line steel, it's pretty wild stuff, really. So far I have not found it to be particularly prone to chipping, despite its reputation on the internet.
I used to work a job that had me breaking down almost a hundred feet of wet/damp/frozen, gritty industrial cardboard every day. In such a setting, I found S110V to be one of the best steel options in a work knife (I regularly rotated between a Native 5 LW, PM2, and Manix 2, all in S110V). And I didn't find it to be especially chippy at all.

In such a context (where the knife's cutting ability is subject to rapid degradation by both the abrasive nature of the materials being cut & by corrosion, particularly on the edge itself), S110V's combination of upper echelon wear-resistance & near-Salt levels of corrosion resistance really made it stand out as an excellent performer. I'm glad Spyderco offers S110V for those whose use cases specifically benefit from the steel's characteristics.

That said, I can't think of any models I would like to see with a regular production S110V variant beyond those that we already have in the line-up (Native 5, Native 5 LW, Manix 2, Manix 2 LW, PM2, Para 3, Military). Maybe the Para 3 LW, as the OP suggested, and maybe in the upcoming Li'l Native Lightweight.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

I would like to see it in a g10 Lil' Native.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom