M4 Shaman vs Cruwear PM2 vs GB2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

M4 Shaman vs Cruwear PM2 vs GB2

M4 Shaman
35%
Cruwear PM2
30%
GB2
35%

Total votes: 40

kissmyba$$69

Re: M4 Shaman vs Cruwear PM2 vs GB2

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

anycal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:37 pm
I posted these pics in the other thread, but here you go.

It is great to have a variety of knives for all sorts of specific tasks. The PM2 is a great all arounder. I haven't found a cutting task yet I couldn't do with a PM2.

How do you think the Shaman compares to the PM2 and GB2?
Men are like bank accounts...

Without a lot of money they don't generate a lot of interest
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

anycal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:05 pm
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:03 pm
anycal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:01 pm
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:55 pm

That GB2 Micarta look sooooo good, thanks for the input. Are those Sharp Dressed scales?
Ahh, I couldn't tell you. It has been a while since I got them. I'm thinking it was from Suigab, from Europe. If I find the email I will confirm.
Don't worry about it man.

Suingab,
https://g10.lt/?cat=36
They all look super good, Suingab does a super job with their scales from the pics. Thank you, will definitely be looking at these for when I get aftermarket scales!

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Of all three, I find the GB2 to have the best grind (hollow grind FTW!), the best blade shape and most neutral handle ergonomics...too bad my detent is almost non-existent, and although various mods have been shared to fix the detent issue, I don't have access to most of the tools needed to do it. So my vote would go to the Shaman.

The problem with the PM2, is the tip. I've already chipped a tiny bit off my M390's tip doing general EDC stuff, not even stabbing into materials. I'm guessing S90V could eventually perform more or less the same. To be fair though, I'm only a sample size of one, and your experience may vary and you may not encounter the same thing I have encountered.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:13 pm
Of all three, I find the GB2 to have the best grind, the best blade shape and most neutral handle ergonomics...too bad my detent is almost non-existent, and although various mods have been shared to fix the detent issue, I don't have access to most of the tools needed to do it. So my vote would go to the Shaman.

The problem with the PM2, is the tip. I've already chipped a tiny bit off my M390's tip doing general EDC stuff, not even stabbing into materials. I'm guessing S90V could eventually perform more or less the same. To be fair though, I'm only a sample size of one, and your experience may vary and you may not encounter the same thing I have encountered.

Don't mind the weak detent, but the Shaman comes with the lock I want, steel I want, and has a beefy tip. That is the one I will probably order. Any problems with the Shaman?
Thanks for the post bro

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

No, none at all. It slices as well as any other Spyderco for my needs and purposes. Some are bothered by the nub at the choil - it has the tendency to hit your fingertip when closing with the compression lock, but I am ambivalent about this issue. Granted, I don't have the M4 Shaman but I have the Z-wear Micarta Shaman and I have no issues with that one either.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:49 pm
No, none at all. It slices as well as any other Spyderco for my needs and purposes. Some are bothered by the nub at the choil - it has the tendency to hit your fingertip when closing with the compression lock, but I am ambivalent about this issue. Granted, I don't have the M4 Shaman but I have the Z-wear Micarta Shaman and I have no issues with that one either.
how does it compare to the GB2 in your opinion?
Thanks for the reply

R100

Post by R100 »

I have all 3 and I voted GB2. It's cutting performance is on a whole different level to the other two.

The detent is light but easily fixed if you are a tinkerer. Lots of info on this forum but I just pulled mine apart and slightly enlarged the detent hole by hand with a diamond burr designed for a Dremel.

Dan
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

R100 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:55 pm
I have all 3 and I voted GB2. It's cutting performance is on a whole different level to the other two.

The detent is light but easily fixed if you are a tinkerer. Lots of info on this forum but I just pulled mine apart and slightly enlarged the detent hole by hand with a diamond burr designed for a Dremel.

Dan
I do have a dremel so I could fix the detent. Would be sold on GB2 if it was compression locked. Really looking at Shaman in M4 and GB2.
Thanks for your input Sir Dan

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

I have claimed the 69th post.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Get the GB2 now while you still can
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shaman is best knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I would pick the GB2 any day... My only issue is that the M4 (regardless which knife) starts picking up black spots within a day in the pocket. I wish we would get a GB2 in something like S90V... I would be set.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

vilePossum wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:11 am
I would pick the GB2 any day... My only issue is that the M4 (regardless which knife) starts picking up black spots within a day in the pocket. I wish we would get a GB2 in something like S90V... I would be set.
Even something like Cruwear that was a bit more corrosion resistant.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

You can easily "fix" that issue with M4 by dunking it in warm vinegar for an hour or so. Makes a nice and even patina, won't corrode much in use. Just make sure You degrease the blade before. That's of course if You don't mind the darker grey color
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

R100 wrote:

Dan
This... ☝️

The GB2 is the best bang for your buck. That said, apart from being known for a light detent (which you can easily fix yourself), it is also often known for a sticky linerlock, like mine.

Of the three I prefer the PM2 because I like blade shape and the acute tip for pierce cuts. I am not much of a stabber, so for me the tip is plenty strong enough. I have not broken one yet during a decade of using the PM2.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:06 am
R100 wrote:

Dan
This... ☝️

The GB2 is the best bang for your buck. That said, apart from being known for a light detent (which you can easily fix yourself), it is also often known for a sticky linerlock, like mine.

Of the three I prefer the PM2 because I like blade shape and the acute tip for pierce cuts. I am not much of a stabber, so for me the tip is plenty strong enough. I have not broken one yet during a decade of using the PM2.
I tend to use the tip on my knives. So right now its between Shaman and GB2, unless another knife comes along. Thanks for the post.

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:31 pm
Get the GB2 now while you still can
Is it going to discontinue?

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

vilePossum wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:11 am
Why wouldn't you go with the Shaman as it is a coated blade?

Thanks for the post Possum

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:06 am
Shaman is best knife.
Thanks for the post

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

horzuff wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:21 am
You can easily "fix" that issue with M4 by dunking it in warm vinegar for an hour or so. Makes a nice and even patina, won't corrode much in use. Just make sure You degrease the blade before. That's of course if You don't mind the darker grey color
That might be a good solution, I am assuming you would need to take the knife apart for that and just dunk the blade?

I have also heard a few people report the GB2 is above average corrosion resistant for M4. They would report rust on their M4 PM2 but not their GB2.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.