To those who have upgraded their Delica/Endura handle scales..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

To those who have upgraded their Delica/Endura handle scales..

Post by TheGiant80 »

So I currently have a fresh, brand-new Endura in K390. I also have some luscious aftermarket micarta handle scales. I want to do the swap, but the last time I brought this scenario up I was asked what I'll be using as a backspacer. I didn't have an answer then and I still don't now.

I know there are a few cheeky folks on this website who have upgraded their handle scales using various aftermarket options, and I'd love to get some input. Does the stock FRN backspacer work? Do I need to source one in titanium or another metal?

This thing has the potential to become my all-time favorite pocket knife, and I'd appreciate any feedback on the matter. Cheers!
ZrowsN1s

Re: To those who have upgraded their Delica/Endura handle scales..

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Flytanium USED to make a variety of them. You might email them or contact them through Instagram and ask if they are ever going to restock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

You can use the frn spacer, if you don’t mind the colour mismatch?

The other thing is, the back spacer has two “pins” or round nubs, that locate in the liners; it can be a real pita to get them lined up and press the liners together when re-assembling due to the spring tension.
If you happen to damage them, the spacer is pretty much ruined also.

Flytanium ones have been oos for a long time, you might be able to source from a custom maker.
cjk

Post by cjk »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:13 pm
Flytanium USED to make a variety of them. You might email them or contact them through Instagram and ask if they are ever going to restock.
Flytanium used to make Delica backspacers in copper, brass, titanium, and (maybe) carbon fiber. You can still find brass or copper ones in stock here and there. These are usually around $20. The copper and brass ones look pretty good with micarta scales. I've polished off the stonewashed finish off of these so they're shiny, then let them patina along with the micarta.

Flytanium also made backspacers for Enduras however those were only sold with a set of matching scales. You could get a titanium backspacer with a set of titanium scales, or brass backspacer with brass scales, or a copper backspacer with copper scales. I think they also did carbon fibre Endura scales with a titanium backspacer. You can still find brass or copper Endura sets in stock here and there. The copper or brass set is usually around $100 with titanium being a bit more (if you can find it). I actually bought a brass set for one of my Enduras just to get the backspacer.

5x5 Combat Solutions sells (Delica/Endura/and Endela!) backspacers with some sort of tool attached to it. One is a pretty cool clip which screws onto the backspacer. This is probably the most cost effective solution, but it's going to be black. They do sell clips in other colors, but the backspacer is still black. These are a little under $50. I actually do like the screwdriver too, but I've never bought one of these.

The most cost effective solution is to use Rit dye to dye the original FRN backspacer to be a closer match. Yes, you can re-use it in any case whether you dye it or not.

I also suggest contacting Flytanium. I have and reportedly they're doing something "big" for the Delica and Endura at the end of the year. Tell them you'd like to see them producing these as standalone products again (ie NOT bundled with scales), and add the Endela and Stretch too! I did.
Last edited by cjk on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Here's a photo of my Endura and three Delicas, all micarta scales with Flytanium backspacers (brass, brass, copper, titanium) and unfortunately, a closeup of my thumb:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Those look great CJK. Thinking about giving my Endelas a similar treatment later this year.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

w3tnz wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:42 pm
The other thing is, the back spacer has two “pins” or round nubs, that locate in the liners; it can be a real pita to get them lined up and press the liners together when re-assembling due to the spring tension.
If you happen to damage them, the spacer is pretty much ruined also.
When you have the knife apart, take the lock bar, barrel, and screw and set them aside. re-assemble the rest of the knife without these parts. There will be no spring tension at this time. The nubs will be just fine. Then re-insert the spring with a tweezers if it fell out during assembly. It does about half the time for me. Barely insert the barrel just into the liner, being very careful to just hold it in. Then insert the lock bar and shove the barrel through the hole when you line it up. I interface the lock part of the lock bar to the blade and rotate the lock bar in against the spring tension, then push the barrel through. Once you've done this once or twice, it's actually quite easy. Way easier than dealing with a peened lanyard tube IMHO.
Last edited by cjk on Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:24 am
Those look great CJK. Thinking about giving my Endelas a similar treatment later this year.
Hey Jeff, If you want some help or some pointers, I'd be happy to help you out given that I practically live down the street. :)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:31 am

Hey Jeff, If you want some help or some pointers, I'd be happy to help you out given that I practically live down the street. :)
Hahaha! Yes you do. I will definitely reach out to you. Looking at G10.it, but you may have some better options. I know you have done a lot of customization. Not quite ready yet. I blew my knife budget big time this year.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Those look great!

So I contacted Flytanium (I wouldn't mind some scales and backspacer upgrades myself). And they told me "We have a refresh of those items 'in the works' ". I sent a follow up to try to get a better time frame, I'll let you all know if they get back to me on that.
cjk wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:56 am
Here's a photo of my Endura and three Delicas, all micarta scales with Flytanium backspacers (brass, brass, copper, titanium) and unfortunately, a closeup of my thumb:

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

When I put Micarta scales on my Delica in place of the black frn...All I did was sand down the black back spacer and spray painted it silver. Matched up pretty well with the hardware overall. I didn't really care though, who else is really going to see it?? Didn't think I needed to spend any extra money, worked out just fine!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cjk

Post by cjk »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:59 am
Those look great!

So I contacted Flytanium (I wouldn't mind some scales and backspacer upgrades myself). And they told me "We have a refresh of those items 'in the works' ". I sent a follow up to try to get a better time frame, I'll let you all know if they get back to me on that.

Thanks! If you could ask them about the Endela and maybe the Stretch 2 too if just for metal backspacers, that'd be awesome. They seem to be pretty open to feedback. I was told that they'd consider doing a metal backspacer for the Endela.
cjk

Post by cjk »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 am
When I put Micarta scales on my Delica in place of the black frn...All I did was sand down the black back spacer and spray painted it silver. Matched up pretty well with the hardware overall. I didn't really care though, who else is really going to see it?? Didn't think I needed to spend any extra money, worked out just fine!
This is pretty smart. :smlling-eyes
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I asked them a short while ago about endela (specifically scales and backspacer) and the response was no time soon.

Hi unfortunately we don’t have any plans on making those at the moment. But I will pass it along to the design team. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cjk wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:56 am
that brass and copper tho... :smiling-heart-eyes
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Flytanium says early next year for the Delica Scales/Backspacer restock.

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I don't know if suingab will sell just the backspacer but it wouldn't hurt to ask. https://g10.lt/?s=endura

Added photo:
Left and right Matching Brown and Bone Linen Micarta backspacers. Center Brass Flytanium backspacer with Forest Green Terotuff scales
-Turbo
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

You folks are awesome. Thanks for all the info! And @cjk, that closeup of your thumb rules!
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evidently, brass and copper can both be Cerakoted (so can titanium), so there could be color options if one really really wanted them.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:58 pm
I don't know if suingab will sell just the backspacer but it wouldn't hurt to ask. https://g10.lt/?s=endura

Added photo:
Left and right Matching Brown and Bone Linen Micarta backspacers. Center Brass Flytanium backspacer with Forest Green Terotuff scales
Are the left and right Suingab? I love the contouring work, better than the 45-degree chamfer.