Looking at a first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kenneth1977

Looking at a first Spyderco

Post by Kenneth1977 »

I am on the fence about getting but every time i do a such for best EDC or best knife this or that , spyderco keeps coming up so i am looking at giving one a try . I am not knew to knives at all and have around 25-30 mixed folders and fixed blades in my collection right now but the one thing that i don't want is that gas station knife feel and i am afraid that if i get just a plain one that is what i am going to feel like so my question is to the ones that are have the higher end ones ..... which one feels like a higher end knife , i am not trying to be a snob about that either but i like to spend a fair amount on my knives because that's what i like to do .
Ones that i am looking at
Spyderco Para Military 2, Brown Canvas MicartaCru-Wear

Spyderco Blade Ops Exclusive Shaman Elmax Gray G10

Spyderco Amalgam

Spyderco Lil' Native Sprint Run Knife C230CF90VP S90V

Spyderco Smock S30V ** Best i think **

Spyderco C55GP Starmate

Or any others that are really good . Thanks for to help in advance .
Michael Janich

Re: Looking at a first Spyderco

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Kenneth1977:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I own a Smock and a CruWear PM2 and strongly prefer the Smock for edc myself for it's slimmer profile but the PM2 is an excellent blade as well. The Chaparral Lightweight was my first Spyderco and it's been my most carried knife ever since, it has liners and runs on pb washers and has a very good solid smooth feel. If you want something a bit fancier than a FRN model the Chaparral comes in several other handle materials as well. I'm sure others who own more models than I do will suggest some really great choices as well, best of luck!
-Jimmy
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think any of those options are going to feel like a cheap gas station knife. Not sure what your location is, but if you have the opportunity to get to a brick and mortar and get some in hand that may help.

The variety you have there is large. What uses do you see for it? That may change what you would like. Also what do you typically like to carry on you? Those models may feel different in the pocket.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Short answer: Shaman or Lil' Native

Long answer: all of these are sick. The only one I cannot recommend is the Starmate because I think you should get a compression lock, which is Spyderco's patented flagship mechanism. Other than that, it's just different flavors of awesomeness, and whatever you feel is missing from your collection. The lil' native is great if you want a small backup knife which still has a full grip to it, something you could put in 5th pocket or back pocket comfortable, or you want to carry a knife in some legally restricting areas of the U.S. I love it. Of the bigger ones, the Smock, Shaman, Amalgam, and Paramilitary 2 are all popular choices, it just depends what you want. Smock for button lock release, ball bearings action, and aesthetics. Shaman for the ergonomic handles and leaf/spear shape blade. Amalgam for a big blade with a flipper tab. PM2 for the pointy blade shape and soft micarta handles. From this list, I would pick Lil' Native (if you specifically want a small knife) or Shaman as your introduction to quality Spyderco knives. Both are USA made too. If we're talking stuff not on this list, I would suggest you also consider the Yojimbo 2 and see if that appeals to you because it is a unique blade shape you won't find outside of Spyderco, which serves defensive and utility purposes and also has the compression lock and is USA made.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The qualitiest feeling knife i have from spyderco is the olive drab tuff reissue. The taichung models feel the highest quality imo, but in my case that makes me afraid to use them out of fear of ruining them. A G10 native lockback may be my recommendation, being well weighted and pocket friendly. Albeit im biased as my first spyderco was a native :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i agree that taichung is where it's at for fit and finish. none of my spydercos feel like gas station knives, to include those with frn or frcp, but i'd look for something from taichung given your tastes.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Keep your first Spyderco simple, just but a Byrd Series. Price point and place to start.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Based on his description, I would look at Taichung or Golden Models. Not the Byrd series. Based on his collection, he doesn't seem to be a newbie. Nothing against the Byrd series. I know it's not a Byrd model, but the Polestar showed me that quality and F&F can be found in many places including the China models.
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have to agree with JSumm , if you are proposing to buy one of the knives listed I definitely would look at the possibly going somewhere to check them out . Personally as also has been suggested a less expensive model may be a very good option to dip into the Spyderco lineup . Please don’t get me wrong I have three of the knives on your list and the others are great knives . Also remember asking this type of question will give you tons of advice from their own experiences, and may possibly confuse you than help . Not knowing your location can also have an impact on your choice and suggest as been stated that you should be familiar with the laws in your locality . Good luck and hope you find your first Spyderco and enjoy it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Kenneth1977 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm
  • Spyderco Para Military 2, Brown Canvas Micarta Cru-Wear
  • Spyderco Blade Ops Exclusive Shaman Elmax Gray G10
  • Spyderco Amalgam
  • Spyderco Lil' Native Sprint Run Knife C230CF90VP S90V
  • Spyderco Smock S30V
  • Spyderco C55GP Starmate
Of the knives on your list, I think the "best" first Spyderco might be the Para Military 2. Not necessarily because it's the "best performer" (whatever that might entail for you), but because it's a great introduction to the brand. It's designed by Spyderco co-founder Sal Glesser & his son, current Spyderco designer & exec Eric Glesser. It's made in the company's "home" factory in Golden, Colorado. It has design elements that are especially associated with the Spyderco brand (the compression lock, the "Spydie-hump"), and for a lot of people, the Para Military 2, along with the Delica 4, the Endura 4, and the Native 5, is one of Spyderco's most iconic models.

If the PM2 doesn't do it for you, though, I also recommend the Sprint Run Li'l Native in S90V. Spyderco is one of a handful of knife companies that routinely produces knives in S90V & they get the most balanced performance out of the steel from what I've heard.
Kenneth1977

Post by Kenneth1977 »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
JSumm wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:57 pm
I don't think any of those options are going to feel like a cheap gas station knife. Not sure what your location is, but if you have the opportunity to get to a brick and mortar and get some in hand that may help.

The variety you have there is large. What uses do you see for it? That may change what you would like. Also what do you typically like to carry on you? Those models may feel different in the pocket.
Here is my usual ration of fixed blades that I have carried for a while now. https://i.imgur.com/OsiGl0p.jpg
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

First Spyderco should have a finger choil, compression lock or thumb ramp.

I would buy a stretch, best place to start and see what you really want in a knife. It's also a lot easier to start with a solid mid level Spyderco and use it.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Kenneth1977

Post by Kenneth1977 »

Trying to post pics of my edc but for some reason it will not post.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Spyderco has been my go to EDC since the late 80s. So any one you like and will carry is a winner! Pick a lock style you like and size that fits your hand.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

First spydie gotta be compression lock. My vote is the Sage 4 or the kapara
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

From your list I would pick the Spyderco Para Military 2, Brown Canvas MicartaCru-Wear. Its my favorite of the 7 PM2's I have.

When I think of Spyderco the Paramilitary 2 is my first thought. Every knife guy should have at least one.

Good one to get your feet wet and more will follow trust me.

I have maybe 50 Spydercos? I havent counted them lately and I like all of them for different reasons.

Also Cutlery Shoppe still has the Wharncliffe Para Military 2 blacked out or in orange in stock if you like that blade shape.

I have the Blacked out and its awesome
Kenneth1977

Post by Kenneth1977 »

Trying to reply but noting shows up idk what the problem is.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Kenneth1977 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:36 am
Trying to reply but noting shows up idk what the problem is.
The first few posts from new members are moderated and will show up after a short delay. Every new member goes through this process.

This thread explains it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927

Welcome aboard!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh, I forgot to answer your original question: From your list, I would get the Amalgam if you can find one in-stock. They have been discontinued, which is sad because it is an excellent knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001