Cruwear/Smooth G10 Yojimbo Knifecenter exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
max808

Re: Cruwear/Smooth G10 Yojimbo Knifecenter exclusive

Post by max808 »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:18 pm
Knife arrived just now. The G10 is smooth but not bad. I was thinking this was going to be similar to the smooth G10 on the DLT kapara (which is very very smooth and polished). These scales might be smooth but it’s the grip of your hand to the contours of the shape of the scales, that is, you have a good grip on this yojimbo independent of the smooth scales.

The upside to these scales is that it won’t shred pockets like a rough G10. I suppose if you want this knife and need grippier scales there’s a bunch of G10, metal, and micarta options available. Also DNAlasering has engraved G10 scales on sale right now, 15% off for Labor Day with the code on their home page. I asked them about engraving these smooth scales and they indicated that they would. But the G10 scales were $26 shipped so I’ll see if I like them.

https://www.dnalasering.com/product/yoj ... cales+Only

Beautiful pair, thanks for the pictures Rinzler.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
bchan

Post by bchan »

Judging from the pictures it seems that the shapes of the handles are different? How does this impact the ergonomics?
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

bchan wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:56 am
Judging from the pictures it seems that the shapes of the handles are different? How does this impact the ergonomics?
It looks like the handle for this model is the same shape as other Yojimbo 2 handles. That pic shows this model next to a Yojumbo, which is a different design- essentially a larger version from the same designer.
canyonrat

Post by canyonrat »

Always wanted a Yojimbo but couldn’t get excited enough about the S30v model. The Compression lock, Golden-made, and nice size, it was so close to checking all the boxes. Now a nice Cruwear, non-coated blade with no weird scale colors, at a few bucks less than the standard model? Finally. Ordered…. Glad I stopped by the forum today you enablers!
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

I think it's weird tho that it's veiwed as a good deal cause it's a little less than the standard model. When the standard model is 30% off MSRP and the Cru-wear one is only 21%. Not tryna trigger anyone. Just saying lol. I understand it's an exclusive and all.
Last edited by Jurmuscle on Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Double post.
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
max808

Post by max808 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:38 pm
I think it's weird tho that it's veiwed as a good deal cause it's a little less than the standard model. When the standard model is 30% off MSRP and the Cru-wear one is only 21%. Not tryna trigger anyone. Just saying lol. I understand it's an exclusive and all.
Great point Jur, my guess is they're advertising it at this price point to sell out quickly so they can move on the next one. It was all over their Labor Day ads and when this one sells out hopefully they give big brother the same treatment. It seems from smarter people than me on here that CruWear is a good compromise between most desirable attributes and is stainless enough to excite a lot of people. Seen someone stab a lemon with a CruWear spydie, leave it in for half an hour and then leave it exposed to the environment for 20 more minutes, he emphasized it didn't have a spot on it afterwards. Which I guess makes it food prep safe as long as you property clean your tools when you're done. And don't use a ceramic plate like my dumb a$$, though the S90V didn't lose a micron of tip.
:cheap-sunglasses
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
canyonrat

Post by canyonrat »

Jurmuscle wrote:

For me, it’s just I have a few S30v blades already. I like buying stuff that is not the “stock model.” Happened to check my boxes, but value is in the eye of the beholder. I probably could not tell those two steels apart in real life if it was not written on the blade. The forum has done this to me. :star-struck
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Jurmuscle wrote:
%off MSRP isn't really a great indicator of value in this case though. It makes more sense to compare actual prices between comparable models. If "Item A" is $100 and 10% off and "Item B" is $1000 but 50% off, assuming both are comparable, wouldn't Item A be a better deal -- even if not as heavily discounted?

The issue is compounded if we consider "Item A" to be slightly superior to "Item B" in some way. If they grocery store has steaks that cost less than hamburger wouldn't that be a good deal even if the hamburger was supposedly on special?
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Toucan wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:04 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
%off MSRP isn't really a great indicator of value in this case though. It makes more sense to compare actual prices between comparable models. If "Item A" is $100 and 10% off and "Item B" is $1000 but 50% off, assuming both are comparable, wouldn't Item A be a better deal -- even if not as heavily discounted?

The issue is compounded if we consider "Item A" to be slightly superior to "Item B" in some way. If they grocery store has steaks that cost less than hamburger wouldn't that be a good deal even if the hamburger was supposedly on special?
I think it can. If the selling price of 2 trucks are priced at $21,000. One MSRP for $30000 and is 30% off. The other MSRP for $26,582 and is 21% off. Would you still say they are equal value? Or would you say one is a better discount based off MSRP? I don't think you would brag about how the cheaper valued truck is priced so well compared to the other one.

-Tom
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I'm surprised these are still in stock. The thin-tipped Yojimbo should be great with tougher steel - although I'm not sure how much difference it will make. Maybe, when my knife falls on the floor, it will only break off 1/16" of the tip instead of 3/16"?

Like others said, the Yojimbo is more dependent on the shape of the handle to lock it into the hand than the texture of the sides of the G10. I'm guessing it won't be noticeably less secure.

As everything gets more expensive, I find myself liking smooth handled knives more and more because they don't tear my pockets up as quickly.

I just ordered one.

Edited to Clarify:

When I said "Maybe, when my knife falls on the floor, it will only break off 1/16" of the tip instead of 3/16"?" I didn't mean to criticize the design of the knife in any way, any tip will require repair when it lands on the tile floor. My point (lol) is that I'm very curious if there will be any noticeable difference between the S30V standard models I've had and the Cruwear.
Last edited by Ferruginous on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:44 am
Toucan wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:

I think it can. If the selling price of 2 trucks are priced at $21,000. One MSRP for $30000 and is 30% off. The other MSRP for $26,582 and is 21% off. Would you still say they are equal value? Or would you say one is a better discount based off MSRP? I don't think you would brag about how the cheaper valued truck is priced so well compared to the other one.
Assuming the objects are of comparable quality, I would say they are of equal value at the same price, regardless of a different MSRP. MSRP is abstract. Maybe "Manufacturer A" artificially inflates their MSRP so bigger discounts are enticing even when the price ends up being functionally the same as "Manufacturer B's".

Even if that is not the case and both makers use the same proportions/formulas to determine MSRP based on their costs to produce the objects, there are reasons why something may cost more, but still be less valuable to the consumer. Maybe "Manufacturer A" has to spend more to make their product because they have an older factory. Maybe "Manufacturer B" can spend less on materials because they are closer to their supplier. It will cost "Manufacturer A" more to make the same or slightly worse object as "Manufacturer B", and their suggested retail price will likely reflect that. In this case, their increase in expenditures and proportional increase in MSRP doesn't represent a good value for the consumer, even if the means by which the maker has valued their object is accurate. The inefficiencies add cost, but not value.

All in all, I just mean that MSRP is one way for a consumer to evaluate an object's worth, not necessarily the best one because a manufacturer's valuation system is opaque and not the same as the consumer's.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Toucan wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:21 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:44 am
Toucan wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:

Assuming the objects are of comparable quality, I would say they are of equal value at the same price, regardless of a different MSRP. MSRP is abstract. Maybe "Manufacturer A" artificially inflates their MSRP so bigger discounts are enticing even when the price ends up being functionally the same as "Manufacturer B's".

Even if that is not the case and both makers use the same proportions/formulas to determine MSRP based on their costs to produce the objects, there are reasons why something may cost more, but still be less valuable to the consumer. Maybe "Manufacturer A" has to spend more to make their product because they have an older factory. Maybe "Manufacturer B" can spend less on materials because they are closer to their supplier. It will cost "Manufacturer A" more to make the same or slightly worse object as "Manufacturer B", and their suggested retail price will likely reflect that. In this case, their increase in expenditures and proportional increase in MSRP doesn't represent a good value for the consumer, even if the means by which the maker has valued their object is accurate. The inefficiencies add cost, but not value.

All in all, I just mean that MSRP is one way for a consumer to evaluate an object's worth, not necessarily the best one because a manufacturer's valuation system is opaque and not the same as the consumer's.
I agree lol. And all honesty. Even if the seller did get it cheaper, Cruwear is in demand right now. And they are probably setting it near the price of the other one to say how well priced it is. Idk. I've never been a big fan of the knife center guy on YouTube anyways. Lol.

-Tom
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like it but if they ever do the big brother I would be very tempted . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What other Spydercos are around the same closed length? Para 3?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

spydergoat wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:43 am
bchan wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:56 am
It looks like the handle for this model is the same shape as other Yojimbo 2 handles. That pic shows this model next to a Yojumbo, which is a different design- essentially a larger version from the same designer.
Here is Michael's response from another thread:
Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 am
Dear Na-ra-shin:

Thank you very much for your questions.

The Yojimbo 2 didn't really draw much from the Hornet--a Jim Keating design--but is a close cousin to the Be Wharned. Part of the challenge was incorporating Spyderco's Trademark Round Hole without creating a "hump" in the blade that would affect my preferred Filipino grip. At the time, I also wanted the knife to appeal to saber-grip users, so including the thumb ramp and jimping seemed like a good idea.

As I noted in the Facebook post you cited, once the Yo 2 trainer became available a few years later, my opinion of the thumb ramp changed. The trainer was released right before my annual Martial Blade Camp event, which is three 12-hour days of training. If a trainer has hot spots, that's the environment to find them...

The YoJumbo definitely reflects that experience, as it has no jimping or crest at the juncture of the handle and blade. Part of the reason for this was also the larger scale of the knife and my desire to still make it work in normal-sized hands.

At present, there are no plans to redesign the Yojimbo 2. I have also not heard of any plans for a YoJumbo trainer or a black Canis. Both are new models, so we'll need to see how they're received and how they sell over time. As always, if Spyderco fans want to see a particular product or variant of a current model, this is the best place to voice those opinions.

Thank you for your interest in my designs!

Stay safe,

Mike
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:27 am
What other Spydercos are around the same closed length? Para 3?

The Para 3 is slightly shorter when closed. The Canis, Manix 2, and Endela are all a bit longer than the Yojimbo 2.
max808

Post by max808 »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:38 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:36 pm
i'm waiting for the Cru-carta. not a fan of smooth G10
I just bought one for the cruwear. There’s lots of micarta aftermarket scales out there.

Anyone looking for smooth G10 scales?
Are you prepared to ship overseas? I have a project in mind that these would be perfect for.
max808

Post by max808 »

PM me for details if you're interested. I use PayPal.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I just got mine, it's perfect.

The handle is far from slippery, it feels like parkerized steel - kind of "chalky". I washed mine and it turned a bit grey in color, and was grippy even in the water with some dishsoap.

I'm so happy with this steel and handle combination on such a killer design.