Cruwear/Smooth G10 Yojimbo Knifecenter exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Cruwear/Smooth G10 Yojimbo Knifecenter exclusive

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:55 am
cjk wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 pm
Wouldn't one expect to see these announced on the Spyderco app? The exclusives are hit and miss in the app, but mostly miss lately.
It's in the app on my Android and IOS phones. Maybe it wasn't showing the other day?

My App on my Android phone hasn't notified me of any of the recent exclusives for a few months now.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
max808

Post by max808 »

Awesome! Another gift from Spydieheaven, this one fits right in. No reasons left now not to get one...
:respect :bug-white :usflag :bug-white :respect
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

benben wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:00 pm
I personally don't think the Yojimbo and smooth/slick G-10 is a good combination! I have the Knifecenter Cru-Wear Para 3 in smooth G-10 and it's very slick, it's beautiful but definitely slick! And for specifically what the Yojimbo is designed for.....
This was exactly my first thought as well, but like others have mentioned, the design of the Yojimbo locks the hand in pretty well. I would still swap the scales for something grippier, probably Allen Putman's G10s.
Benben on GT? ScotchWhisky here.😉
benben

Post by benben »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:02 am
benben wrote:
I personally don't think the Yojimbo and smooth/slick G-10 is a good combination! I have the Knifecenter Cru-Wear Para 3 in smooth G-10 and it's very slick, it's beautiful but definitely slick! And for specifically what the Yojimbo is designed for.....
This was exactly my first thought as well, but like others have mentioned, the design of the Yojimbo locks the hand in pretty well. I would still swap the scales for something grippier, probably Allen Putman's G10s.
Benben on GT? ScotchWhisky here.😉
Well hello, yep that’s me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There may be a reasonable argument for a smooth grip on a self defense knife, it depends on what philosophy you follow.

There was once an early tactical pistol that advocated a smooth grip, the idea being that in a tense situation you would not accidentally lock your grip into a bad grip. I guess it's debatable how this relates to knife use but I would think holding onto a recoiling gun with sweaty hands is similar to a knife. If anything I would think that a smooth handle is less of a great idea for a knife like the Civilian since it has more potential to hook and snag and pull out of your hand, but I think a Yojimbo is far less likely to do that.

https://youtu.be/4trmOFxuJw0

The "slide into place and stay into place" part makes sense to me on a handle design that has solid ergonomics without needing jimping or rough G10. For example a Kiwi 4 can be polished to a mirror finish and it'll still lock into your grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Something with super defined finger grooves like the Autonomy 1 would be kinda interesting with glossy smooth scales. Kiwi, as mentioned makes a lot of sense. Manix too, the list goes on.

I think I'd like most to see this kinda handle on the Dialex Jr.

The Jr and the Kiwi are two knives I'll always be sad about missing the boat on.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Yeah on a tactical model like the Yojimbo why would anyone want any handle that is "SLICK"???? irrespective of the material it's made of. I would want a really grippy G-10 handle similar to the one on the recent C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run. That is the best G-10 handle on a Spyderco folder I've ever owned or used.

But the idea of a Yojimbo with a Cruwear blade is very intriguing and sure gets my attenion.
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:05 am
benben wrote:
Yeah on a tactical model like the Yojimbo why would anyone want any handle that is "SLICK"???? irrespective of the material it's made of. I would want a really grippy G-10 handle similar to the one on the recent C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run. That is the best G-10 handle on a Spyderco folder I've ever owned or used.

But the idea of a Yojimbo with a Cruwear blade is very intriguing and sure gets my attenion.
I have a plain ole S30V Yojimbo and I get what some here are saying about how the handle stays locked in. I have medium sized thick hands, my hand looks large while holding a Yojimbo, it's NOT a large handle!

And as I said, I also have a Knifecenter Cru-Wear Para 3 with the slick G-10, and again as I said it's a beautiful knife, but the very moment I opened the box I remember thinking....hmm, I don't think this is going to work! It's very slick! You guys who like it and think it's a great idea, awesome! I'm just thinking about what this knife is designed for and the fact that I own one, and only (1) slick G-10 knife....for a reason! In a very fast, stressful situation you may get only one chance to grab it and grab it good, of course I'm not a knife fighter, and I hope I'm never put into that scenario! I'll be grabbing an HK that'll surely be on my side before I'll grab my knife

And yes JD, the idea of a Yojimbo with Cru-Wear is VERY appealing to me! I've said it here several times before, my plain ole S30V Yojimbo is a top 2 or 3 for me as far as action, lockup, build, fit & finish. It's dang near a perfect knife!

Hey, I hope it's a hit and KC sells out in a day, best of luck to them!
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Hopefully buyers of this model will test it out versus a yo2 with stock g10 scales and post their results, and the we'll be able see if there is any significant difference in retention.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Got to say, as someone who is a perpetual worrier, I do not feel in the slightest worried about the smooth G-10. It is the ergonomics of the grip that locks it into your hand, no worries.

I really like mine - it is even better and smoother than my other Yojimbo, the DLC tan 20CV. Here's the thing that strikes me about that... wouldn't it make more sense to take the black hardware and DLC 20CV blade, put it on the black G-10, and have the satin Cruwear blade on the tan G-10? The only thing that would be cooler is to black out the whole Yojimbo, but honestly prefer uncoated Cruwear.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:16 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:55 am
cjk wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 pm
Wouldn't one expect to see these announced on the Spyderco app? The exclusives are hit and miss in the app, but mostly miss lately.
It's in the app on my Android and IOS phones. Maybe it wasn't showing the other day?

My App on my Android phone hasn't notified me of any of the recent exclusives for a few months now.
I have the app on android and iOS. I haven’t received notifications in a very long time. I’ll probably just remove the apps because the only reason why I have them is for notifications; and that’s not working on either.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Knife arrived just now. The G10 is smooth but not bad. I was thinking this was going to be similar to the smooth G10 on the DLT kapara (which is very very smooth and polished). These scales might be smooth but it’s the grip of your hand to the contours of the shape of the scales, that is, you have a good grip on this yojimbo independent of the smooth scales.

The upside to these scales is that it won’t shred pockets like a rough G10. I suppose if you want this knife and need grippier scales there’s a bunch of G10, metal, and micarta options available. Also DNAlasering has engraved G10 scales on sale right now, 15% off for Labor Day with the code on their home page. I asked them about engraving these smooth scales and they indicated that they would. But the G10 scales were $26 shipped so I’ll see if I like them.

https://www.dnalasering.com/product/yoj ... cales+Only

Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Got mine in, reeeeeallly nice... Falls free, perfectly centered, locks up solid, perfect detent, stupid sharp. Lovin it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
max808

Post by max808 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:19 pm
Got mine in, reeeeeallly nice... Falls free, perfectly centered, locks up solid, perfect detent, stupid sharp. Lovin it.
Pictures please! That G-10 looks amazing, almost polished but still a bit rough/textured. How does it feel in hand? Does it inspire confidence or is it as slippery as some people claim?
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

First ones popped up on eBay listed at around $300, shipping included.
:cheap-sunglasses
cruwearyojimbo001.jpg
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

max808 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:56 pm
First ones popped up on eBay listed at around $300, shipping included.
:cheap-sunglasses

cruwearyojimbo001.jpg
Wtf. It's still for sale lol.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

"There's a sucker born every minute"
PT Barnum.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

max808 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:52 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Pictures please! That G-10 looks amazing, almost polished but still a bit rough/textured. How does it feel in hand? Does it inspire confidence or is it as slippery as some people claim?
Oh way grippy. Then again with all the contours I wouldn’t be worried about it coming out of your hand.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
benben

Post by benben »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:50 pm
max808 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:52 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Oh way grippy. Then again with all the contours I wouldn’t be worried about it coming out of your hand.
Hey, no one is more happier to be wrong than I am! That’s a great looking Yojimbo! I will say though, to save face….. :eye-roll, my KC Para 3 looks wayyy slicker than those Yojimbo scales in these pics! Either way, again I’m glad you’re happy and glad it’s not an issue!