How many knives do you normally carry on you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Re: How many knives do you normally carry on you?

Post by Netherend »

I typically carry 2
Just one more knife...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been carrying/EDCing 2 Spyderco folders for the longest time now ( probably over 9 years or so). I've even carried 3 to 4 during a hunting season or exploring in the timber.

But daily I EDC one full PE and one full SE model. Like today I've got an M390 Military along with my old trusty ATS-55 era Stainless RESCUE model. I'm pretty rough with my main EDC blades on some days and that stainless RESCUE can truly endure a lot of brutal use and very harsh environments.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I went through a phase of carrying two. Generally one bigger and the other one smaller. Not because I really needed to, but at that time I had more new knives coming in than I could use. So I would use the different knives for different tasks throughout the day. Or, to test them and get used to them, doing the same task with both. Those days are over. One at a time these days.

Now if I am in my truck with my backpack, technically three :zany .
Peter
Caz

Post by Caz »

Two. A dragonfly 2 and a delica wharncliff. If not wearing jeans then it’s the chaparral and the dragonfly 2.

The dragonfly 2 lives in a secret location.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Monday through Friday, I carry two: a Ladybug and a Victorinox Classic. On weekends, the number of knives carried varies between one and four. Depends on the weather, what I'm doing, what I'm wearing, etc.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Caz wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:29 pm
Two. A dragonfly 2 and a delica wharncliff. If not wearing jeans then it’s the chaparral and the dragonfly 2.

Do tell. I love Dragonflies
Caz

Post by Caz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:07 pm
Caz wrote:

I think it all depends on body type and hand size. For me, the dragonfly 2 is the smallest ‘deployable’ knife for my hand size (I’m a girl, thin long fingers, wear tight jeans, etc so I can’t carry the type of knife that I always want to carry without specifically dressing around the knife). The chaparral is similar with the added benefit of being significantly thinner so it disappears under a dress much easier than the Dragonfly or Delica, but it is somewhat more difficult for me to operate than my Dragonfly or Delica knives.

For the most part, all of my EDC needs are met by the Delica Wharncliff… when I’m wearing jeans. It does cardboard, paper, wood, etc. The Delica is in my left pocket because I have an altogether different tool (for different purposes) on the right side. The Dragonfly is my last ditch backup for cutting and as such, is not in a pocket.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Caz wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Caz wrote:

I think it all depends on body type and hand size. For me, the dragonfly 2 is the smallest ‘deployable’ knife for my hand size (I’m a girl, thin long fingers, wear tight jeans, etc so I can’t carry the type of knife that I always want to carry without specifically dressing around the knife). The chaparral is similar with the added benefit of being significantly thinner so it disappears under a dress much easier than the Dragonfly or Delica, but it is somewhat more difficult for me to operate than my Dragonfly or Delica knives.

For the most part, all of my EDC needs are met by the Delica Wharncliff… when I’m wearing jeans. It does cardboard, paper, wood, etc. The Delica is in my left pocket because I have an altogether different tool (for different purposes) on the right side. The Dragonfly is my last ditch backup for cutting and as such, is not in a pocket.
This is one of the most interesting takes I have read in a while regarding EDC. Thanks for sharing your perspective
Caz

Post by Caz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:30 pm
Caz wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:25 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Caz wrote:

This is one of the most interesting takes I have read in a while regarding EDC. Thanks for sharing your perspective
You are welcome. I based the strategy on what I feel that I could possibly need a knife for in best and worse case scenarios. It’s been working well so far.
Stas

Post by Stas »

A girl with thin long fingers, wearing tight jeans and liking Spyderco knives. Sounds very exciting :winking-tongue
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Two sometimes three depending on the knives and what I'm doing that day. I usually carry the vg10 Q-ball for hard/abusive tasks along with something that has high wear resistance like Maxamet or S110V.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Stas wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:08 pm
A girl with thin long fingers, wearing tight jeans and liking Spyderco knives. Sounds very exciting :winking-tongue
One thing I will say for me: I’ve never been described as being boring (except during my day/corporate job but I’m okay with that, lol).

And yeah, my thumb isn’t included in the long thin fingers category. Hence the short thumb syndrome. As long as I can reach the spydiehole, it’s all good. I would like a SPY27 Dragonfly 2 though. Maybe Santa will bring me one.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted
Last edited by MrBerle on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just one….day to day

Fishing 3x Pacific Salts in the boat at any time and usually one of my old butchers knives as a fillet knife (fish are big in my neck of the woods)

Hiking 2x a folder and a fixed blade… Usually a junction and a para3 or Delica

Camping Lets just say Many mostly fixed blades
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

For work three - a small clean knife (for anything that is going anywhere near someone’s mouth), a 3.5-4inch SE and a 3.5-4inch PE (both for dirty jobs).

Today’s carry was an SE dragonfly in H1, a Caribbean salt SE and a Magnacut mule.

They all get cycled in and out daily depending on the tasks at hand and what mood I’m in.

For weekends I have my salt SE ladybug and a mini SAK in my bag and keychain respectively, then something in my pocket that appeals to me that day. Last weekend was jungle hiking so it ended up being a Quiet Carry Drift.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

3. The last weeks it was a Clinch Pick, the Lil Temperance 3 LW and a manbug on my keychain.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I'll carry 0-4 knives. Zero, when I am going to a place like the hospital, or airport. Para 3 gets a lot of walking around time on a normal day. Sometimes I thrown in a bigger blade or a fixed if I am going for a ski or hike. As noted above, when hunting or in the bush I may have 4 or more knives. Now all I really need is a better reason to use all the blades I own.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

One in pocket and manbug on keys.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

One in a rural or city area. Two if camping or fishing.
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skar

Post by Skar »

One. That's all I need.
I used to carry 1 fixed blade in my bag. Never needed it found that it was a waste of space and weight.

Everything I need, the one in the pocket can handle it always has.