How many knives do you normally carry on you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydergoat

Re: How many knives do you normally carry on you?

Post by spydergoat »

One if possible.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I'm in a suburban setting, so I usually carry two knives: A main folding knife (usually Spyderco), clipped and one-hand operable, and a SAK, usually in the fifth pocket (the scissors get a lot of use).

Today, I have a Watu and Victorinox Manager.
Rusty_Shackelford

Post by Rusty_Shackelford »

I’m a desk jockey with no reason to cut anything at work most days, but I carry a 3” to 4” folder in my right pocket and often a slip joint in my left. No good reason for me to carry two knives except I get to carry a larger percentage of the collection on any given day. If I’m working on home maintenance or outside, I might exchange the slip joint for a small fixed blade or Leatherman.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Just 1. I like my pockets light.

I keep a spare Endura in my truck and a fixed blade in my outdoor bag that also stays in my truck. Camping I'll usually have 2 folders and a fixed blade. Hiking, I'll have a folder in my pocket, and a fixed blade in my bag.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

I normally carry two. Small fixed blade and a folder at work. If I’m going out around town sometimes I swap the small fixed blade for a small slip joint to use around the masses.
Slightly obsessed…
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:27 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:58 pm
You don't want to know. Trust me.
I was scrolling down just anticipating your post--

that it might say a baker's dozen or so. :cheap-sunglasses

I did have a chuckle.
That's when I'm on vacation, sitting around playing video games. Usually it's more than that.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Two. A medium/small 3 blade stockman, and a 3 inch locking folder.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I usually carry two. One clipped on my front right pocket and a SAK in a leather pouch inside the left pocket, mainly for the scissors and bottle opener, but also to use it in public spaces where big blades could attract too much attention.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Work issued knife on a pouch on my belt. Spyderco in my pocket. (Usually a Native5 or Para 3)

Lending the work knife is easy done. Had 2 people break a tip digging into timber and gifted them the knife for their trouble. (Can just get another out of storeroom)
Never lend the Spyderco.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

For edc, one, two on a very rare occasion.
I don't usually keep one in my car, even though I should, because I always have one in pocket but sometimes I'll throw one in.
For camping usually one folder one fixed.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Three.

Main knife.
Victorinox classic sd
And a pioneer, tinker, spartan, leatherman, or swisstool

Have thought about the clipitool. I honestly would rather it not have the blade and just be tools and a little smaller. I think it’s too big to replace a SAK and without pliers it can’t replace a leatherman or swisstool.
Happymayo

Post by Happymayo »

one main and victorinox one classic SD
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Usually 2.

Whenever I leave the house I always carry a medium-large folder for general use and emergency self defence, then I also carry my Esee Izula as a sturdy backup and lightweight survival knife in case I'm going into the woods. The Izula is just big enough I can count on it for pretty much any survival task, and light enough that I don't mind carrying it even if I'm just going to Wal-Mart.

When I'm working in the yard I either carry a medium-large folder with one of my lightweight fixed blades, Izula or Mora, or I just carry my beefy Tops Fieldcraft by itself. When I carry that I don't feel the need to lug around any extra weight. :anchor

A side note on how I carry my Izula for those that also EDC fixed blades or might like to try it, I put para-cord through my Izula's sheath to carry around my neck, I do that sometimes in the winter when I'm wearing sweatshirts that hide it, but I also found a nifty way to pocket carry that has worked really well for me. By just using the cord I use for neck carry, I found a way I can tie it to my belt totally securely, and I can either just let it hang when I don't need it concealed, or if I'm going into a store, I can merely slip it into my pocket, and it floats vertically at the top of my pocket easily within reach and not falling to the bottom. Don't even notice it's there. It's not quick to get out of my pocket (not a problem for it's intended use), and I'm not certain this arrangement would work for everyone or all type of clothing, but I like it.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Often just 1 for regular day to day. If I’m carryover to a fancier occasion and just have a slippyon me, I tend to throw a spare chunkier guy in my car or something just in case. Hiking I’ve got my waterway on my backpack strap or on the front of my belt, and sometimes I bring along my salt ukpk in my pocket or my lil LT Wright carving knife.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I carry 3 at work

Summer time it’s always
DLC PM2 or PE Caribbean leaf,
Enuff leaf shape,
Native Salt (exclusively for food).

Not at work 1 or 2. Full size folder and something small probably Native Salt.
However in high risk/danger areas I bring a fixed blade to accompany the pistol.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

One is zero and two is one!

ManBug Salt Sheepsfoot on keychain is a must and another small folder clipped to the pocket next to the pepper spray.

I do the same with flashlights (small cell one on keychain, small single AAA clipped to pocket and the one on iPhone) and pens (one clipped and one SAK refill in wallet).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

One folding knife clipped to my pocket and one hawkbill lady bug on my keychain, basically specifically for popping zipties.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Two folders, normally. One fixed blade in my hydration pack when hiking or mountain biking. Multiple folders and fixed blades when camping.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

At home I normally carry one, usually a Pacific Salt although my ladybug-flavored 20CV Endela and my Rockjumper are elbowing their way into the mix.

When I work at sea I usually carry two users and have three little ones tucked away in case of emergency:
Daily users:
A Myerchin fixed blade rig knife unless I'm working somewhere that it will raise eyebrows.
A Pacific Salt or Atlantic Salt in my pocket.
For emergencies:
When I'm at sea I wear a money belt with a little survival kit in it. I'm not trying to hide anything, it's a practical way to carry a few tools on my person all the time in case we need to leave the boat in an hurry. The belt kit includes three knives: A Ladybug Salt, a Victorinox Cadet, and a Victorinox Classic. It's a little silly but the space is really limited and I had to find the thinnest knives that had all the useful tools, so I ended up with these three little ones.
I keep an abandon ship bag in my bunk also but there's no guarantee I would be able to retrieve it in a fast-moving emergency. Hopefully I never need the knives in my belt but if I do need them I'll be really happy to have them.

Yes the abandon ship bag also has a couple of small knives (redundancy is my friend) but I'm trying to stay on-topic. ;)

If I'm in the woods I've come to prefer an AquaSalt or something similarly sized paired with a 12" Tramontina machete, but it's also fun to go out with just a little fixed blade or folder. If I'm backpacking and keeping the weight down I'll carry a Pacific Salt and Street Beat, although the Subway Bowie might fill that niche now that it exists.

Occasionally I'll carry zero knives and just break a rock if I need something sharp. :-)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:39 pm
Occasionally I'll carry zero knives and just break a rock if I need something sharp. :-)

A lot of truth in that. First knives were all from stones. Even today, some of the sharpest blades are made from Obsidian volcanic glass (igneous rock).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln