Dragonfly steels… and other things

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Caz

Dragonfly steels… and other things

Post by Caz »

Hello!

So … I’ve finally decided on which Spyderco designs are the ones for me and the Dragonfly is one of my favorites. Trouble is that I joined the team late and now trying to catch up to you all.

How often are new steels offered on the little dragonfly? I’m not a fan of the VG and the only steels I’ve been able to find out about are Z-189, K390, and S30V. Can one expect that a new offering will be forthcoming or is that a unique/once in a decade kinda situation for the Dragonfly?

Thanks!

In other news, I’m back to being stuck in the internal conflict of trying to decide between the Police and the Endura now. I think I’m sure about it being serrated and in K390. But still stuck.
malice

Re: Dragonfly steels… and other things

Post by malice »

Just my 2cents:
Sprints come out every so often but if they're gone, they're gone. And they can be spectacular (f e superblue :smiling-heart-eyes ). Check out KC's rex45's if you wants something like that.

But in regular production the K390 warnie and the H1 hawkbill are probably my favourites and summum examples of ' the right steel for the right job' .
Just depends on what you need: the warnie is a 'tipcutter' for precise detailed work, the hawkbill is a 'ripper' for pullcuts on fibrous materials.
My dragonfly H1 is my most carried knife, bar none.

All the steels have their advantage and cool aspects.
What would be your primary use for the dragonfly ?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Caz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

When I got into folders a few years ago, I bought a little handful from across the pond, with a selection of models that stood out in my very unqualified research. Among them where three Spydercos. A basic DF2 in VG-10, a PM2 and a Pac. Salt 1.
I liked the PM2 and the Pac. Salt in spirit, but after a while I found them to be a bit big for my needs. This wasn't entirely true with regards to the Pac Salt, I just hadn't discovered the right use case for it yet, so I sold them both.
I kept the DF2 as it was the right size, but it took me a long time to connect with it, and a lot of other models passed through my pockets before I eventually realized what my preferences really were and how well the DF2 conformed to that after all.

The OG is still with me, but after adding a couple of variants with the fancier pants, I very rarely pull the OG out from the sock drawer.
You landed on a fine model for sure

Donut

Post by Donut »

You might see one or two special steels per year. Just stick at it and keep your eyes open. The new salt steel is probably nice for you.

Some people might sell some or have extras if you let them know you're looking, like in your signature line.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
olywa

Post by olywa »

Think I've got 7 Dragonfly models in the knife roll now, so I understand the attraction. I carry one frequently, along with my primary, and I use the heck out of them. I'm hoping to see some some green Magnacut Salt models get released, especially an SE Hawkbill and an SE Wharnie.
z1r

Post by z1r »

My ZDP DF2 is one of my EDC knives. K390 is sweet as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dragonfly steels I can think of, off hand:

VG-10
ZDP-189
K390
H1
Hap-40
Super Blue
S30V

There may be more, but none come to mind right off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Going way back, there was only one. ;)
Attachments
107B00A9-EF84-40CD-A0C1-7BB43B22E420.jpeg
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Dfly2 is Sal’s best design ever, IMO. It’s just brilliant. My advice is to get the one in ZDP189.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Happymayo

Post by Happymayo »

I'm also a new DF collector. Would really love that pakkawood dragonfly
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I really like the dragonfly. I completely missed a recent offering in 20CV with a color that made it look like a ladybug when folded up. DLT had it. They still have the 20cv Endela available.

There is also a damascus vg10 core dragonfly I like at Knifejoy which is still available. They have a 20cv endura, as well.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Grab a hawkbill Dragonfly in serrated H-1 and thank me later. It’s a pocket chainsaw!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Caz wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:27 am
In other news, I’m back to being stuck in the internal conflict of trying to decide between the Police and the Endura now. I think I’m sure about it being serrated and in K390. But still stuck.
Hey, Caz.
That's a big problem. If you figure out the answer, let me know and I'll go out and buy one, too. I want a K390 Spydie Edge knife and haven't been able to make a decision.

I have both an Endura and a Police 4 in K390 with a plain edge. The Endura is the Goldilocks size--it's nice to carry, it's nice in the hand, it's nice to use. But I almost never carry it. The Police 4 is bigger, and why would I carry a smaller knife when I can carry a bigger one?

Now that I've typed it out, it kind of makes sense for me to get the Police 4 K390 SE.
Caz

Post by Caz »

malice wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:13 am
Just my 2cents:
Sprints come out every so often but if they're gone, they're gone. And they can be spectacular (f e superblue :smiling-heart-eyes ). Check out KC's rex45's if you wants something like that.

But in regular production the K390 warnie and the H1 hawkbill are probably my favourites and summum examples of ' the right steel for the right job' .
Just depends on what you need: the warnie is a 'tipcutter' for precise detailed work, the hawkbill is a 'ripper' for pullcuts on fibrous materials.
My dragonfly H1 is my most carried knife, bar none.

All the steels have their advantage and cool aspects.
What would be your primary use for the dragonfly ?
Thanks! I haven’t tried anything in Rex45 yet. I had a VG10 dragonfly 2 and an H1 dragonfly 2 as my only spyderco knives until recently. I found them and noticed that the VG was completely dull with little to no use. The H1 was still sharp.

I use my dragonfly 2 for everything, but my all time favorite (so far at least) is the Delica Wharncliff.
Last edited by Caz on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caz

Post by Caz »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:19 am
Hi Caz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you!
Caz

Post by Caz »

Donut wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:14 am
You might see one or two special steels per year. Just stick at it and keep your eyes open. The new salt steel is probably nice for you.

Some people might sell some or have extras if you let them know you're looking, like in your signature line.
Thanks! Good point about using the signature line… I hadn’t thought of that
Caz

Post by Caz »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:08 am
When I got into folders a few years ago, I bought a little handful from across the pond, with a selection of models that stood out in my very unqualified research. Among them where three Spydercos. A basic DF2 in VG-10, a PM2 and a Pac. Salt 1.
I liked the PM2 and the Pac. Salt in spirit, but after a while I found them to be a bit big for my needs. This wasn't entirely true with regards to the Pac Salt, I just hadn't discovered the right use case for it yet, so I sold them both.
I kept the DF2 as it was the right size, but it took me a long time to connect with it, and a lot of other models passed through my pockets before I eventually realized what my preferences really were and how well the DF2 conformed to that after all.

The OG is still with me, but after adding a couple of variants with the fancier pants, I very rarely pull the OG out from the sock drawer.
You landed on a fine model for sure

I know what you mean about connecting with a new knife. I’m going through something similar right now with the chaparral. I find it to be dragonfly-ish but with an altogether different feel. I mean… I like it but ….
Caz

Post by Caz »

olywa wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 am
Think I've got 7 Dragonfly models in the knife roll now, so I understand the attraction. I carry one frequently, along with my primary, and I use the heck out of them. I'm hoping to see some some green Magnacut Salt models get released, especially an SE Hawkbill and an SE Wharnie.
Magnacut would be sweet but how would that compete with H1 and LC. Would it make the previous steels obsolete?
Caz

Post by Caz »

z1r wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:23 am
My ZDP DF2 is one of my EDC knives. K390 is sweet as well.
Both of those are proving hard for me to find. I joined the team too late. Does the ZDP not chip as much in the DF2?