Spyderco Models You Just Can't Quit Playing With

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Models You Just Can't Quit Playing With

Post by JD Spydo »

Well with two new additions to my household ( 2 C-60 Cruwear Massad Ayoob models) I'm finding that putting them down to eat, Sleep, take the trash out or to watch a favorite Twilight Zone episode is virtually impossible with these 2 new bad boys now taking up residence in my home. Oh I've had this problem before. Yeah it's a new Spyderco model that I just can't quit playing with. I just got up from a 3 hour nap and I immediately started flipping the SE version of the Cruwear C-60.

But I got a feeling that this obsession/compulsion is not unique and I bet I'm not the only one here in Spyderville that is overtaken with this constant urge to play with a favorite new Spyder or even an older classic Spyder for that matter.

Yep the Cruwear C-60 Sprint Run is probably going to get flipped a minimum of a 1000 times plus ( maybe 3000) before it goes back into the factory box. I have another Dodo model that I'm just as crazy about.

But which great Spyderco model is it that you all can't quit flipping?? And I wonder what label the USA Psychiatric Board will declare that we are all afflicted with?

OK folks it's time to fess up and tell us which one you can't quit flipping and can't quit admiring. Yeah my name is Joe and I'm a Spyderholic :sick :grin-squint
Airlsee

Re: Spyderco Models You Just Can't Quit Playing With

Post by Airlsee »

It's been a while now, but for me, the CF S90V Lil' Native was certainly as much fidget toy as it was cutting tool for the first few months of ownership...something about that effortless action, audible lockup, beautiful carbon fiber and reprofiled blade, made it a constant twitch companion for several months.
So it goes.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

The Smock is the most fidgety of the Spuderco’s IMO
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:30 am
The Smock is the most fidgety of the Spuderco’s IMO
Hard to disagree with this one in my experience as well (actually carrying mine today) I'm not much of a fidgeter, but if I fidget a bit...it's the Smock.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Agreed, Smock.
-Jimmy
cjk

Post by cjk »

ikuchi. it's the only Spyderco I have bought just to play with.

I also regularly fiddle with my sage 5 FRN.
kobold

Post by kobold »

The PITS ATM. At first I just oiled it and cut some paper. Today I "had" to disassemble, clean and grease it for smoother action. Then I stropped it. Then I shaved my arm hair just now. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

I totally get it. I also have a MA Plain Edge on the way. I can't wait!!
attila

Post by attila »

Native Chief, P.I.T.S. (blue and new sprint), Manix LW & G10, Shaman, Military, Mantra 2, PM2, Native 5…
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

kobold wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:58 am
The PITS ATM. At first I just oiled it and cut some paper. Today I "had" to disassemble, clean and grease it for smoother action. Then I stropped it. Then I shaved my arm hair just now. :-)
All these Spydie slipjoints are the kings of click-clack, in my opinion! My Urban sits on my desk to help me think :party-face

And to throw an oddball answer in there (no it's not my fav, Urban is ^), the Brouwer is fun to let the bottom choil hit your thumbnail as you press the lock. I dunno why it's so satisfying to me.

And now speculative answer: I've always imagined the Lil Native comp lock would be the most toy-like to me, just in theory.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:54 am
Agreed, Smock.
GOOD GRIEF!!~! Three people in a row all say the SMOCK model!!! Holy Popcorn Batman!!!

One of the oldies I used to like to flip when I had it was the older C-50 Centofante model. Unfortunately Mr. Glesser said that all the tooling was eliminated and that there was no chance of that one ever returning again. But it was really cool to play with.

The SMOCK??? Really!!!????
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 am
I totally get it. I also have a MA Plain Edge on the way. I can't wait!!
You will not regret getting the Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run. But that model is good for a lot more than just playing with. I think it's also one of the top 3, all time best EDC folders I've ever had.

Again for any of you who have a Spyderco Dodo model I think you'll find that one fun to play with as well.
Fly Fishing Rick

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 am
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Agreed, Smock.
GOOD GRIEF!!~! Three people in a row all say the SMOCK model!!! Holy Popcorn Batman!!!

One of the oldies I used to like to flip when I had it was the older C-50 Centofante model. Unfortunately Mr. Glesser said that all the tooling was eliminated and that there was no chance of that one ever returning again. But it was really cool to play with.

I only have a PM2, Sage 1, and a Chaparral to compare to but yes, it's by far the most fun to fidget with of my knives after just a little tinkering.
-Jimmy
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 am
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Agreed, Smock.

I only have a PM2, Sage 1, and a Chaparral to compare to but yes, it's by far the most fun to fidget with of my knives after just a little tinkering.
Yeah I play with my PM2s every now and then. Especially my Blurple S110V model. The PM2 may be Spyderco's near perfect folder for all intent and purposes. And they are fun to play with.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I don’t have a favorite and I don’t fidget a lot, but I sometimes enjoy spydieflicking (or trying to) the models that requires some effort to master. Among them is certainly the already mentioned Urban, but also the Native 5s, Dragonflies and the Man-/ladybugs. The latter are annoyingly difficult to master (for me at least) and I’ve cut myself a couple of times after pursuing success until I lost my concentration.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Definitely the Smock. However like aicolainen I too like trying to master the spydieflick on the more difficult ones. I've mastered all but the Chaparral. I just can't find a hand position on the short and thin scales.
--Pete
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Manix 2s and anything with a comp lock. My PM2 and Para3 have mirror polished washers and are well broken in. Could fidget with them for hours.
Fly Fishing Rick

harpo1 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:10 pm
Definitely the Smock. However like aicolainen I too like trying to master the spydieflick on the more difficult ones. I've mastered all but the Chaparral. I just can't find a hand position on the short and thin scales.
I struggled with mine a little at first but now I can do it every time effortlessly but it's also an extremely smooth action that drops shut when the lock is deployed. The first time I took it apart for a cleaning and fresh oil I took the time to polish the PB washers on the UF Sharpmaker stones. I also moved the lock's tension bar forward as far as I could without the blade hitting when closed, it's now every bit as smooth as my other Spyderco's that use PB washers.
-Jimmy
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:11 pm
harpo1 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:10 pm
I struggled with mine a little at first but now I can do it every time effortlessly but it's also an extremely smooth action that drops shut when the lock is deployed. The first time I took it apart for a cleaning and fresh oil I took the time to polish the PB washers on the UF Sharpmaker stones. I also moved the lock's tension bar forward as far as I could without the blade hitting when closed, it's now every bit as smooth as my other Spyderco's that use PB washers.
Thanks for the info. When I finally do decide to tear it down and do some maintenance I'll keep your procedure in mind.
--Pete
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Endura, police 4 LW and military

… maybe a pm2 as well
Last edited by prndltech on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006