Maxamet and Ceramic Detent Balls?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fly Fishing Rick

Maxamet and Ceramic Detent Balls?

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Has anyone ever experienced their knives with Maxamet steel blades not not being as smooth as your other models with standard SS detent balls? I received a Sage 1 yesterday and after some fidgeting I noticed that I could hear the detent ball sliding on the track and it's just not as smooth as any of my other Spyderco's after tuning. I took the knife apart and gave it a full cleaning and some new oil which did little to nothing to improve the feel. While I had the knife apart I noticed that the detent ball is ceramic, so I decided the hardness of the two materials and the lack of polishing on the detent track was the most likely cause but I'm no expert. If anyone else has experienced this I'd love to hear about it and whether or not it ever smoothed out. I don't mind it too bad, it's kind of annoying but everything is fully functional, I just want to be sure that prolonged use as it is won't damage anything.
-Jimmy
Bemo

Re: Maxamet and Ceramic Detent Balls?

Post by Bemo »

I have not noticed with my Sage 1 in Maxemet (fantastic knife btw). But haven't looked for it.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Have Factory seconds Maxamet PM2 and Para 3. Have not noticed any difference in smoothness compared to my other PM2s and Para 3s.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Ok thank you, maybe I'm just overthinking it. I don't have any other Spyderco liner locks to compare it to, just compression locks and I suppose there's bound to be differences in action between the two.
-Jimmy
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also have a factory seconds PM2/Maxamet, no difference there and my blade is slightly warped. Still super smooth, granted where the warping is it shouldn't effect the action.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick