2022 first half is over, still no news about the legendary Slysz Bowie ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

2022 first half is over, still no news about the legendary Slysz Bowie ?

Post by Xformer »

As you may all know, I'm enamoured with the Slysz Bowie. We had that Knifejoy exclusive deal that sold out very fast, and since then... Nothing. Knifejoy was supposed to make more, in different color. Spyderco was speaking about potentially retrain dedicated workers to manufacture a new Slysz Bowie, but alas it seems like the subject is dead.

At first, the argument was that the Slysz Bowie kind of tanked, which was true and perfectly understandable. But now that it has been proven that there's a clear interest in the knife from enthusiast, what prevent Spyderco from bringing it back ?

As a side note, it also seems like his little brother, the Techno 2 is out of stock in Europe... Sad.
JRinFL

Re: 2022 first half is over, still no news about the legendary Slysz Bowie ?

Post by JRinFL »

Maybe KnifeJoy can share more information on the project?

Even though money is tight these days, lots of higher end knives are selling out consistently, so making another run seems smarter now rather than waiting another year. Of course, I have idea what the queue is like at the Taiwan factory.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

How in gods name could the Slysz bowie tank? It was sold out constantly.
Spyderco should at the very least give it a normal sprint run.
And i do not think the model is dead it is just like every other model shoved back on the mile high list.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco doesn’t discontinue knives that are selling. The first run of the SB didn’t sell well enough to stay in the line up. However, it sells well enough for limited runs like Sprints. Part of the sell outs are due to limited nature of Sprints.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:50 pm
Spyderco doesn’t discontinue knives that are selling. The first run of the SB didn’t sell well enough to stay in the line up. However, it sells well enough for limited runs like Sprints. Part of the sell outs are due to limited nature of Sprints.
Nah, even with a regular release it would do fire. The situation has changed, it's a cult classic, one of the most well known folder around now. The game is different.

It's unfortunate that fans of the project like me are stuck with that weird situation, where we (I) know it would deserve a second chance, but the more time passes the more it seems unlikely. Sad really. Maybe Spyderco could start a kickstarter to brought it back, I'm sure it would be highly popular and a nice marketing campaign. Crowdfunding could work for project like that. Could be a win-win situation for everyone.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Is that it in your avatar pic by chance? I'm not familiar with the model myself.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:03 pm
Is that it in your avatar pic by chance? I'm not familiar with the model myself.
Yes =D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 4.10.12 PM.jpg
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

What do people like so much about this one? I’ve seen the Shabazz review, but what do _you_ like?

What steel do folks want this in?
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

Any projects out of Taiwan have a long road from submission to delivery. Even in the pre supply chain issues era our Taiwan projects took multiple years to come to fruition, my understanding is that its longer now. So the KJ project is probably still in the pipeline, its just that the pipe got a lot longer.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have always liked the finish on the Bowie, looks polished but with a little stonewashed.. Blade is quite easy to keep clean. Just for the heck of it, 3" Blade.??
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white