S45VN Stonewashed Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferruginous

S45VN Stonewashed Military?

Post by Ferruginous »

I've loved using my S30V Militaries for 15 years now. I got my first one from my Kali instructor and have had several since. I feel sorry for people who disparage liner locks in general, they must never have used a perfectly designed and built example like every Military I've owned.

Recently I tried a Para 3 in S45VN. The steel feels like perfectly heat treated CPM154 or any other finer-grained well-balanced modern steel. I love the way it holds an edge, and sharpens easily. I also dig the stonewashed finish, it looks cleaner and seems to hide residue and finger prints better - like a grey or silver car looking clean long after it isn't.

I'd love a Military with a stonewashed S45VN blade, any chance we'll see some soon?
TazKristi

Re: S45VN Stonewashed Military?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Ferruginous:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Ferruginous wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:10 am
I'd love a Military with a stonewashed S45VN blade, any chance we'll see some soon?

Welcome! There are a lot of Military fans here so you are in good company. I know that people from Spyderco have said that S45Vn is not replacing S30V as the default steel for Golden models, even though a few popular models now come in S45Vn. I'm not saying it won't happen, but no plans have been announced as of yet (and they may not). But I don't think you'd be alone in want to see that happen.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome to the forum! Hang around and you will find a lot of friendly and very knowledgable people here. I am another big fan of the Military but the only S45VN that I have is a BRK and I honestly don't see a lot of advantages over S30V. Of course Spyderco may have their own special twist on it though. That said, I will buy any new configuration of the Military that doesn't have a comp lock.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Thanks for the welcomes, and thank you for the information. I guess that I saw a pattern of the Para 2 and Para 3 getting S45VN and hoped it would make its way to the full sized Military.