Form vs Function

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WilliamMunny

Form vs Function

Post by WilliamMunny »

In my ever daunting quest to find my next EDC knife I noticed a dilemma I was facing which I am sure I am not alone... Form vs Function. In the ever evolving super steel market does it really matter what super steel you buy short of a salt knife? When it comes to form does G-10 vs Micarta vs carbon and color really matter? Does the form/look of your knife or its function for a EDC (not collectable) have more importance?

My current example but this could be any two knives:

PM2 S110V Dark Blue G10
vs
PMS Cru-Wear Brown Micarta

Personally I think the Cru-Wear Brown Micarta is a great looking knife while the S110V Dark Blue is decent looking but nothing special. On the other hand S110V steel is much better for a mid sized pocket knife. It holds a edge much better and will not rust in a sweaty pocket. Yes Cru-Wear is much tougher but your not chopping with it, prying, battoning, opening tin cans, etc. where you would need all that tough of a steel. Cru-Wear lends it self better to big folders or fixed blades.

Finally as I mentioned before, does the steel really matter on a EDC or will any super steel work just fine and get the knife you think looks better?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JRinFL

Re: Form vs Function

Post by JRinFL »

Not that it helps much, but Cruwear in my use has been pretty much rust free. I live in a high humidity climate. If your sweat is more corrosive than mine or your use more severe, that may not be the case for you.

Steel choice can matter in an EDC as some people absolutely need the most rust free steel they can get. Some of us are lucky and it is not a concern. I carry a small traditional as well as my Spyderco and that little knife is 1095 steel. Not known to be very resistant to rust.

So, for someone like me, I can choose what looks the best. For someone like vivi, they will need to choose the least reactive steel.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think it is all going to be a matter of preference. For example carry what is pleasing to you. Any exclusive or "nicer" material model I have purchased gets used and "evalutated" in my mind. I am currently carrying the Crucarta PM2. I think it is a great work knife. I had it in my sweaty pockets last week for a few hours. Built up a lot of moisture all in the knife, and I could not detect any corrosion afterwards. I think Cruwear is more corrosion resistant than we may think. Definitely more than K390 and M4 in my very limited experience. Even ZDP-189 though stainless is not very corrosion resistant.

As far as EDC/Work knives. I tend to prefer the higher hardness but lower on the Vanadium Steels. I like to be able to easily get back a working edge on my pocket diamond plates if needed. So for this, Cruwear is high on my list for an EDC/Working knife.

As far as handle material, I lean more to the grippy side. Carbon Fiber is nice, but it would not be my first choice for EDC/Working knife. Micarta is a good middle ground. Not as grippy as G10 or FRN, but grippy enough. Also slides better into the pocket.

I rarely carry a knife for a nice occasion. My personal EDC philosophy is I like to carry a knife I can use in most situations, so I consider steel preference and handle preference that aligns with the above two points.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am
I think it is all going to be a matter of preference. For example carry what is pleasing to you. Any exclusive or "nicer" material model I have purchased gets used and "evalutated" in my mind. I am currently carrying the Crucarta PM2. I think it is a great work knife. I had it in my sweaty pockets last week for a few hours. Built up a lot of moisture all in the knife, and I could not detect any corrosion afterwards. I think Cruwear is more corrosion resistant than we may think. Definitely more than K390 and M4 in my very limited experience. Even ZDP-189 though stainless is not very corrosion resistant.

As far as EDC/Work knives. I tend to prefer the higher hardness but lower on the Vanadium Steels. I like to be able to easily get back a working edge on my pocket diamond plates if needed. So for this, Cruwear is high on my list for an EDC/Working knife.

As far as handle material, I lean more to the grippy side. Carbon Fiber is nice, but it would not be my first choice for EDC/Working knife. Micarta is a good middle ground. Not as grippy as G10 or FRN, but grippy enough. Also slides better into the pocket.

I rarely carry a knife for a nice occasion. My personal EDC philosophy is I like to carry a knife I can use in most situations, so I consider steel preference and handle preference that aligns with the above two points.
I have found similar results with Z-Wear which I believe is basically the same as Cru-Wear. I had a Z-Max Mule rust/patina on me while just being stored in a leather sheath. My Z-Wear Mule shows no sign of corrosion stored in the same leather sheath.

My question was in general... what is more importin the look of your EDC knife or the function? I mean everyone loves MagnaCut but if a PM2 was made in MagnaCut but had an ugly rainbow/baby blue/etc. scales you could not remove would you still buy it?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Interesting question.

For me, personally I'm going to say yes. Everything matters. I've tried quite a few different models, steels and materials over the past 5 years as I HEAVILY got into the hobby and stepped up from my Kershaws (not that there is anything wrong with them, especially for the price)

I've been saying it recently, I'm at the point with my collection where I know what works best for me and what I like most. It's a very good feeling!

I know when it comes to Spyderco, I HIGHLY prefer the Golden models...Manix, Shaman, Native Chief are my top 3 models...with Military and UKPK right on their heels. So that part of the quest is done. Next, I've evaluated many of the steels I've used, I had a thread going a few years back where I carried a particular knife in a particular steel for a week straight at work (working in a warehouse, they get constant daily use) In doing that I really learned a lot about what steels I liked, as well as which models.

At that point I came to the conclusion that I highly prefer tool steels, something I really didn't think would happen prior to doing my testing. Next came the materials, and for me nothing is better than micarta, titanium or G10...though micarta gets the nod.

I've since modified a few of my favorite knives to suite those needs. When it comes to my favorite models, I also like to own 2...one in a satin finish and the other in DLC. Rex45 and micarta happens to be my favorite Spyderco combo, so I now have both a Manix and Shaman in those materials and couldn't be happier.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ah, thanks to OP for clarifying.

My answer would be, all things being more or less equal, the ugliest knife loses. As an example, I don't particularly care for purple. There have been recent releases of models that I really like and the steel would be an upgrade, but since I don't care for purple, I passed.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:07 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am

I have found similar results with Z-Wear which I believe is basically the same as Cru-Wear. I had a Z-Max Mule rust/patina on me while just being stored in a leather sheath. My Z-Wear Mule shows no sign of corrosion stored in the same leather sheath.

My question was in general... what is more importin the look of your EDC knife or the function? I mean everyone loves MagnaCut but if a PM2 was made in MagnaCut but had an ugly rainbow/baby blue/etc. scales you could not remove would you still buy it?
Got it, I probably read that wrong. Spydercos are not the most aesthetically pleasing knives, all though some are stunning. Since I carry almost exclusively Spyderco I would say function for me first. However, bright (get your attention) color would not get a lot of pocket time. So I guess both play into it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:17 am

My answer would be, all things being more or less equal, the ugliest knife loses. As an example, I don't particularly care for purple. There have been recent releases of models that I really like and the steel would be an upgrade, but since I don't care for purple, I passed.
For the purple knives are you referring to the S110V versions in dark blue? I have heard a few people say they are almost purple.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:41 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:17 am

For the purple knives are you referring to the S110V versions in dark blue? I have heard a few people say they are almost purple.
No, it was some purple exclusives were released of various knives. The S110V knives seem closer to dark blue to my eyes, with a tiny hint of purple.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:16 am
Interesting question.

For me, personally I'm going to say yes. Everything matters. I've tried quite a few different models, steels and materials over the past 5 years as I HEAVILY got into the hobby and stepped up from my Kershaws (not that there is anything wrong with them, especially for the price)

I've been saying it recently, I'm at the point with my collection where I know what works best for me and what I like most. It's a very good feeling!

I know when it comes to Spyderco, I HIGHLY prefer the Golden models...Manix, Shaman, Native Chief are my top 3 models...with Military and UKPK right on their heels. So that part of the quest is done. Next, I've evaluated many of the steels I've used, I had a thread going a few years back where I carried a particular knife in a particular steel for a week straight at work (working in a warehouse, they get constant daily use) In doing that I really learned a lot about what steels I liked, as well as which models.

At that point I came to the conclusion that I highly prefer tool steels, something I really didn't think would happen prior to doing my testing. Next came the materials, and for me nothing is better than micarta, titanium or G10...though micarta gets the nod.

I've since modified a few of my favorite knives to suite those needs. When it comes to my favorite models, I also like to own 2...one in a satin finish and the other in DLC. Rex45 and micarta happens to be my favorite Spyderco combo, so I now have both a Manix and Shaman in those materials and couldn't be happier.
Off topic but what are your thoughts of your Native Chief vs your PM2? By design I thought the Native Chief might have a weak tip for EDC not that the PM2 has all that beefy of a blade profile. I would guess a tougher tool steel would be good for the Chief to avoid tip damage???

Spyderco has a Native Chief in Brown G-10 M-390 Sprint Run that caught my eye as an alternate to a PM2 I was considering but again worried about the long thin tip for a EDC beater.

BTW I have carried a basic G10 S30V Manix every day for 8 years and I have been very happy with it. I am looking for something different to change up my EDC.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I try not to use my knives for anything that would damage the tip. When I come across some sketchy stuff at work, that's when I take the box cutter out haha. But, that said the two Native Chiefs I have are in Rex45 and M4...zero issues with either.

I tend to like knives with no, or a subtle thumb ramp so the PM2 isn't a favorite of mine. I just have one because I think any Spyderco nut needs at least one in their collection. The Native Chief and PM2 aren't very comparable in my opinion. Too many differences. Can't compare at the moment, but I THINK the thickness and tips of both are comparable...just more edge to the Chief. Anybody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the thickness/tips between those two models.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 am
does the steel really matter on a EDC or will any super steel work just fine and get the knife you think looks better?

You're suggesting that steel and handles don't matter, and that
we're like medieval priests arguing over angels dancing on the head of a pin?
Blasphemer!!!
Repent, or be excommunicated!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

WilliamMunny wrote:

for me it's easily function.

now I will try to make the knife look good if I can do it for a reasonable cost. Like the Pacific Salt I dyed green. It's 100% as functional for me as the yellow stock handle, but looks a lot better to me.

There are a lot of knives out there that I think look better than a Pacific Salt or Resilience. But they aren't in my pocket.

something that comes to mind within this context is how most people here don't seem to clean their micarta scales. I always scrub mine down every few months. They don't have that aged look anymore, but they're grippier. form vs function.
:unicorn
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:56 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 am
does the steel really matter on a EDC or will any super steel work just fine and get the knife you think looks better?

You're suggesting that steel and handles don't matter, and that
we're like medieval priests arguing over angels dancing on the head of a pin?
Blasphemer!!!
Repent, or be excommunicated!!!
Not at all but I am putting it out there what matters more the steel or the handle?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:13 am
Not at all but I am putting it out there what matters more the steel or the handle?
Oh, well that's easy. K390 with bidirectional FRN. In purple.
Don't be led astray by those who will try to sway your opinion otherwise.
🔪🗡️🍴
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

If I was trying to limit myself to a very limited amount of knives (like it appears you’re looking to buy your second Spyderco), I might put more emphasis on looks. I know I used to do that.

As I got more knives, I noticed that the “pretty” ones (and often the priciest) got less and less pocket time.
These days I almost exclusively look for function. It’s not totally unrealistic that a very ugly knife might turn me off despite being functional, but I doubt it’s likely to be a real problem. When you know what works, that has a way of looking good to your eyes.

I use my knives across a wide variety of activities and end up with many different knives in different combination of materials. I don’t really care what material as long as it’s suitable for the intended task/activity.
The overwhelming majority of my Spydercos have FRN handles, and it’s not because that’s my preferred look :)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:19 pm
If I was trying to limit myself to a very limited amount of knives (like it appears you’re looking to buy your second Spyderco), I might put more emphasis on looks. I know I used to do that.

As I got more knives, I noticed that the “pretty” ones (and often the priciest) got less and less pocket time.
These days I almost exclusively look for function. It’s not totally unrealistic that a very ugly knife might turn me off despite being functional, but I doubt it’s likely to be a real problem. When you know what works, that has a way of looking good to your eyes.

I use my knives across a wide variety of activities and end up with many different knives in different combination of materials. I don’t really care what material as long as it’s suitable for the intended task/activity.
The overwhelming majority of my Spydercos have FRN handles, and it’s not because that’s my preferred look :)
I actually have three Spyderco knives and three Mules. I got my first one, a Endura around 1996 and carried it on and off until I got my Manix G-10 S30V around 2014 and has been my EDC ever since. I would have carried the Endura more but the integrated clip did not secure it well in my pocket. Recently I got a smaller Alcyone in BD1N for foreign travel so I did not lose a good expensive knife even thought it has proven to be a great knife and a very solid steel but small for a EDC state side for me. I am looking for a new EDC because I like knives and my old Manix has been sharpened so many times there is basically no belly on it any more. Not that it doesn't work but none of us would not be here if we did not like knives. I am looking at the Shaman, PM2 and Manix for a new knife. I like the Shaman but it is pushing the amount of money I want to spend on a EDC beater plus I have not seen a version recently that I really like, the M4 out right now is great but with tax it pushes $275+ for me. I love the look of the PM2 Cru-Wear but I am honestly worried I just like the Manix platform better and may just stick with that if a neat one comes out in M390, K390, Cru-Wear, MagnaCut, etc with Micarta scales.

But honestly half the fun is talking with other knife nuts and shopping for them. Its part of the reason for this post. I have seen some great knives and steels but think the knife is boring.
cjk

Post by cjk »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Would I buy that? no.
I do buy knives where the options for changing them are limited like the salt series of knives.

I really have to like the looks well enough for its functionality or be able to change the looks enough for me to be happy with it. I have knives which are tools and knives which are "functional man jewelry" (which I don't hesitate to carry and use).
If they are too expensive to use or too dear to use for some reason, they effectively cease to be functional. I try to avoid these.

I like to be able to change scales. I like green. I rather like the combination of forest green G-10 and titanium. I also like earth tones. I can't expect Spyderco to only make knives in the colorways I like. They do a lot with color and I'm thankful for that. A drawer full of black knives would be boring.

However, I also like the linerless salt knives a lot. They're extraordinarily useful. I have not been particularly tempted to dye any of them yet. Haven't changed even a clip on any of them. They pretty much are what they are (a lot like your example) and I like them that way.
Last edited by cjk on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

If it came down to it and I had two choices for the same knife:

1. ugly color I hated with premium steel

Or

2. Color I loved but a budget steel like 8cr…

If we are in a hypothetical situation that I can’t change color, I’d chose the low end steel. Sure I have to sharpen it more. But I like sharpening. I’d rather enjoy something but have to spend more time maintaining it than hate what I had but the sharpness lasted longer.

Now if it came down to actually a bad design that made the knife cumbersome to use, I’m gonna pick ugly that works.

For how I use my knives, a steel that doesn’t hold an edge forever isn’t really a function issue. It’s just high maintenance.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Function is always first for me. Someone I know put it this way, "Peerless function resonates it's own beauty." That sums up my thought process pretty well.

However, there is a point at which something is so ugly I won't have it. I'm not going to buy a knife with a pink handle, unless I can dye it. Purple though, not my favorite, but as long as it wasn't too obnoxious of a purple, I'd be OK with that if it checks the other boxes.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb