Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Post by JD Spydo »

Well with the screaming success we are apparently having with this new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run from the GOLDEN ERA (1998-2004) I think it's high time we start to think ahead to the next GOLDEN ERA model to consider for a possible Sprint Run. I've been thinking about a few possibilities. The JD Smith with a Supersteel blade in PE & SE both really sounds nice. I've also given some thought to the fixed blade TEMPERANCE 1 model in PE & SE both ( maybe a SALT version). I've also pondered the C-54 Calypso model ( the big one) in a newer/better blade steel with a possible different handle. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

But I'm just one guy and I'm certain you all have a couple of models from that GOLDEN ERA (1998-2004) time slot that you would like to recommend. We put our heads together nicely and got that C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run accomplished and with CRUWEAR blade steel no less. So maybe it's time we start considering another Golden Era model to bring back in a possible Sprint Run? Oh one more model from that era that I would like to put out for consideration would be the C-42 Viele model. That is one of the few GOLDEN ERA models that everyone seems to have forgotten for whatever reason. There are several from that era to consider so let's put our heads together to see what we can agree on?
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Re: Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Post by Wartstein »

Well, for me it would have to be the C90 stainless steel craton Stretch (the first "real" Stretch that was actually called so??)

Just a bit smaller than the Stretch 1, is from the time you call the "Golden era" and one of the coolest looking Spydies ever imo.

See here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... trade-/166

And this pic from the Spyderco site

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

A hollow ground jd smith or a viele would be very nice Sprint runs. About the steel.
It has bin proven that US or EU made steels in japanese Spydies only drives up the costs for no good reason. So a nice japanese steel will do just fine for me.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:43 am
Well, for me it would have to be the C90 stainless steel craton Stretch (the first "real" Stretch that was actually called so??)
Interesting handle with mixed materials, I wouldn't be against seeing such handles in current offerings (but with e.g. a carbon + metal mix) :thinking
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Interesting handle with mixed materials, I wouldn't be against seeing such handles in current offerings (but with e.g. a carbon + metal mix) :thinking

"Material mixes" are nice indeed!

I don´t think though that we´ll see this kind of handles too often - I guess it is quite a challenge and time consuming to do it right in order to meet the high standards Spyderco has: I seem to recall Sal saying that it took them some time and effort to fit the "sun" and the "moon" perfectly in the Sun and Moon Chaparral handle. I guess it would be kind of the same with carbon / kraton into steel (perfect fit, no gaps...) - ?

Still - we can dream, right? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageLove the C90 CF model but the SS with Kraton inserts was too grabby in and out of pocket for my tastes . If Spyderco did a steel up grade of steel and even change scale materials I would buy it hands down .Since there has been a JD Smith run I doubt there would be a chance for another but again I would not pass up one . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:

Just a bit smaller than the Stretch 1, is from the time you call the "Golden era" and one of the coolest looking Spydies ever imo.

If you are interested, I know a european dealer that has the Combo Edge version of this knife... :winking-tongue I sent you a PM !

_____

As for me, I'd like to see a sprint or redesign of the C23 Renegade. Also C42P Viele.

What I'd love though, is a run of Spyderco R like the Nishijin version, but with G10 or G10/CF laminate scales and a steel like S35VN, K390, S90V...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:06 am
Wartstein wrote:

If you are interested, I know a european dealer that has the Combo Edge version of this knife... :winking-tongue I sent you a PM !

_____

As for me, I'd like to see a sprint or redesign of the C23 Renegade. Also C42P Viele.

What I'd love though, is a run of Spyderco R like the Nishijin version, but with G10 or G10/CF laminate scales and a steel like S35VN, K390, S90V...
Great choice ! Friend bought a R off a table out of a pile of knives at a knife show thinking it was a Delica . He showed me the knife last year and was shocked when I saw it and that he paid $25 for it , knife was mint .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:26 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:06 am

Great choice ! Friend bought a R off a table out of a pile of knives at a knife show thinking it was a Delica . He showed me the knife last year and was shocked when I saw it and that he paid $25 for it , knife was mint .
What a catch ! I've found the version PE with the gray hollow handle in second hand, but the blade seems badly sanded, all of that for 189€ :squinting-tongue
That's why I'm ready to pay a similar price for a new one. The linered Nishijin version is really nice. Higher blade Delica with more of a G10 Native 5 vibe, that's my style :bug-red
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

C54 Calypso
vivi

Post by vivi »

Full Ti ATR 1 with G10 overlays on the scales and a magnacut blade. Make it a salt ;)
Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 am
C54 Calypso
screw construction knifeworks 204p run, please :)
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 am
Full Ti ATR 1 with G10 overlays on the scales and a magnacut blade. Make it a salt ;)
Meadowlark wrote:
C54 Calypso
I definitely could go for the ATR ! Great choice a! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Schempp Persian 75mm with bolsters and pinned construction. Any color of polished G10 or micarta.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Meadowlark wrote:
C54 Calypso
So many latecomers to the Spyderville community aren't even aware that the C-54 Calypso even ever existed. So many people here on the Forum that are avid knife connoisseurs are not aware of many of Spyderco's "IN HOUSE" designs. All of the Calypso models are In House designs. And some of my favorite Spyderco classics are "In House" designs as well.

The C-54 model simply got lost in the shuffle. I can't think of any other way to describe this great, late 90s design. The brief time it was in one of the Spyderco catalogs it was overshadowed by so many other fast moving models during that time slot. It truly would be a nice consideration and with a Supersteel blade it would be a great selection.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 am
vivi wrote:
Meadowlark wrote:
C54 Calypso
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ATR model was in line for a Sprint Run already? About a year ago there was a lot of talk about it. I think the Titanium model can't be done because of supply problems I heard. If they did a Sprint Run the Titanium model would be the one I would get excited about.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:06 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 am
vivi wrote:
Meadowlark wrote:
C54 Calypso
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ATR model was in line for a Sprint Run already? About a year ago there was a lot of talk about it. I think the Titanium model can't be done because of supply problems I heard. If they did a Sprint Run the Titanium model would be the one I would get excited about.
Hi JD ! I am unaware of your comment , may have missed this information . I only have the ATR 2 at this time , the first two in Ti and SS had a clip I could never warm up to and let them go . My SS version actually opened much better than the Ti , not sure why . I must say this is fun exploring different possibilities. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

C65 Lum Chinese folder, but compression lock.

Caly 3.5 k390.

Lava SS with LC200N.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michal O wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:17 am
C65 Lum Chinese folder, but compression lock.

Caly 3.5 k390.

Lava SS with LC200N.
The Lum Chinese and the LAVA are certainly two you don't hear much about anymore. But yet when those two were in the main line up everyone really bragged on both models. Chad Los Banos who designed the LAVA used to participate on this Forum and I do hope he returns at some point. The LAVA model might just be a serious consideration.

The Calypso models are all iconic in my humble opinion. I especially liked the C-52 Caly jr and the C-54 ( the first of that series). Again you can't say enough about Spyderco's "In House" designs.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bring back the Salsa.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You cannot change the lock without it being a whole new knife. So any lock changes are not going to happen.

Collaborators who started with Spyderco but moved on to other makers are unlikely to return either. That's based on a comment Sal made years ago. Maybe they changed their mind about it? One can hope.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001