Some thoughts and requests on the Sharpmaker/Gauntlet/GalleyV

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Some thoughts and requests on the Sharpmaker/Gauntlet/GalleyV

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I've been using all three of these for a little bit now, obviously the sharpmaker the longest.

I can make perfect edges with my wicked edge, but there is nothing fast about that process and it's a pain for maintaining an edge on a daily user. For knives that see heavy use, I reprofile to 15 or 10 dps on one of my guided systems, then use the Galley V or Sharpmaker and a strop to maintain the edge.

I've been using the Galley V on my Kitchen knives and my K390 Wharncliffe Delica, and I'm in the process of reprofiling my Maxamet Native to 10DPS so I can maintain it with the Galley V.

I've been using the Galley V stones in the Gauntlet's 20dps slots to maintain my SE Police 4 K390. With a serrated blade that long it's a huge advantage to have the longer stones. So you don't drag the serrations 'across' the stone as much as you have to with the sharpmaker. I think the cats eye shape stones handle serrations better than the triangle shape too.

.....SO the requests. Even mixing and matching as I do, there are still some things I'd like if they were possible.

1. Longer stones are better. I would love to see some double length sharpmaker stones. I'd use the long ones at home, and if I needed to go somewhere, I'd take the regular stones. You just get better more consistent passes with longer stones.

2. MORE ANGLES. I love the Galley V, but 10DPS is pushing things too steep on some blades. A 12 or 13dps Galley V would be great. I would do 90% of my knives at 12dps if I had something like the Galley V to maintain them.

In that same vein, a 15DPS Gauntlet would also be ideal. Outside of a few serrated knives, I don't sharpen hardly anything >15dps. So the 20dps only Gauntlet see's limited use. It's a GOOD DESIGN though! I like the integral hand gaurd, I like the cats eye stones, and I like that the Galley V and Gauntlet stones are for the most part interchangeable. So it could serve as a 15dps Galley V too.

A 12 DPS / 17DPS Sharpmaker Base would also be very welcome.

3. More CBN. I would love a Galley V length CBN stone. I would like some coarser CBN options for GalleyV and Sharpmaker as well. Both for speeding up fixing damaged edges and reprofiling, and for coarse 'Vivi Edges' as well.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brock O Lee

Re: Some thoughts and requests on the Sharpmaker/Gauntlet/GalleyV

Post by Brock O Lee »

I support these suggestions. 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I agree with the longer stones, but honestly after 10 years or so my sharpmaker stones already don’t sit straight in the plastic base. I think the longer stones would have more leverage, and this issue would be exacerbated.

So longer stones yes, but I’d like to see the base’s durability improved too. Then more angles.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The three amigos
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Galley Vee length CBN rods would open my wallet magically fast.