Military Knife Dark Blue G-10 (4" Satin CPM-S110V)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Retlawman590

Military Knife Dark Blue G-10 (4" Satin CPM-S110V)?

Post by Retlawman590 »

Hi,

I'm thinking of adding this larger Military to my PM2 Blk G10 CPM S45VN. Do you feel that the CPM S110V blade is superior to the S45VN? Also does the blurple color look batter in person than in pics.

I recently acquired a very nice thumb stud action from Chaves (Riate), and appreciate the Syderco action much more. It is definitely a slightly faster and safer design with the locking mechanism on the back. I found this out the hard way. Ouch!

Thanks
Wartstein

Re: Military Knife Dark Blue G-10 (4" Satin CPM-S110V)?

Post by Wartstein »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:05 pm
Hi,

I'm thinking of adding this larger Military to my PM2 Blk G10 CPM S45VN. Do you feel that the CPM S110V blade is superior to the S45VN? Also does the blurple color look batter in person than in pics.

Not a steel expert, but "superior" in what capacity?

S110V will have clearly better edge retention (and be more time consuming to sharpen), and will be a bit more corrosion resistant and offer a bit less toughness.

For what I personally am looking for I´d take S45 VN over S110V just from their "specs". I don´t need high corrosion resistance but do like if a knife is rather quick and easy to sharpen.

Check out this great article by Dr Larrin Thomas, including charts where steels get compared concerning edge retention, toughness and corrosion resistance: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The s110v military is a fantastic knife!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Any Millie is a good buy. I love the color of the S110V scales. My favorite of all Spyderco colors.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Military is a significantly larger knife. It’s also a great knife.

S110V is pretty crazy stuff. Very high wear resistance, very stainless. S45VN is tougher, perhaps more well balanced.

I don’t particularly love the blurple color. If I picked up a blurple knife, I’d be looking for some aftermarket scales immediately.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

Thanks for the replies. Edge retention is most important to me. so, the S110V would probably be the better choice. I just found out though, that the Military 2 is coming out very soon with a few improvements. I thought the Military had the same locking system as the PM2, but it does not. The new Military 3 will have the compression lock, just like the PM2, correct? I love that locking system. Unfortunately, the Military 2 will be available with only S30V I believe.

I'm going to have to give this some more thought. Thanks
vivi

Post by vivi »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 am
Thanks for the replies. Edge retention is most important to me. so, the S110V would probably be the better choice. I just found out though, that the Military 2 is coming out very soon with a few improvements. I thought the Military had the same locking system as the PM2, but it does not. The new Military 3 will have the compression lock, just like the PM2, correct? I love that locking system. Unfortunately, the Military 2 will be available with only S30V I believe.

Military 2 will be compression lock like the Para 2. Current Military is a liner lock.

The Military 2 will be popular enough that it will eventually get sprint runs, but I doubt we'll see any before 2024.

For a high edge retention large compression lock you could look into the S90V Yojumbo, 20CV Kapara or S90V Shaman.

S30V isn't a bad steel when it comes to edge retention. For me, sharpened to around 300 grit, it can go a few months without a touch-up.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 am

The Military 2 will have quite some differences to the Millie "1", which some will see as improvements, some not so much (as far as I know: Of course different lock, a "PM2-ish" choil, a bit slimmer handle( (all presumably making for different ergos of course), real liners...

But since you love the compression lock (and prefer it over a linerlock I suppose?) perhaps waiting for a Millie 2 in S110V or another very high wear resistance steel might be worth it for you! I figure this knife will be a success and thus come in more variants eventually.

But if you happen to have never owned a real GOOD linerlock: I´d give the Millie 1 a try! There are quite some advantages of this lock over the comp.lock (and vice versa, depending on what one is looking for).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I would recommend you just go ahead and try the S110V Millie. It’s a great liner lock.

Vivi is right, the Millie 2 will take some time - and sprints with interesting steels will take longer.

Vivi is also right about S30V - it’s really pretty darn good.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

S30V is a very well balanced steel, I think. I have zero complaints about it. Even Buck has started using it and its near twin S35VN. I wouldn't let S30V stop me from buying a knife, I don't care what YouTube "experts" say.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I have one of the early s110v militaries and it's a great knife. Mine feels like it's run hard. It outperforms the s110v in my manix and pm 2.

I really like the steel. I run it at a low angle (about 10 degrees per side). It makes sharpening easy with DMT stones. I just set the bevel with an extra coarse, then hit the apex with coarse and then fine. Then a quick strop with diamond paste on wood to clean up the burr a bit. I shoot for a coarse finish and it holds an edge a long, long time.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 am
S30V is a very well balanced steel, I think. I have zero complaints about it. Even Buck has started using it and its near twin S35VN. I wouldn't let S30V stop me from buying a knife, I don't care what YouTube "experts" say.
Yep and spyderco does it well
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

Thanks for all your responses. I just placed my order with WMK, best price! I'll post my impressions after I spend a little time with the Mil. I have high expectations for this one.