Stovepipe lockup concern

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lagginirl

Stovepipe lockup concern

Post by lagginirl »

Hey everyone. Just have a slight concern with the lockup. It's still super smooth no lock stick or anything but it's about 90% maybe more. This is only 3ish months of flipping and carrying. What will it be like in another 3 months?

https://imgur.com/a/k5D7aHb pic of the lockup.

It's my main carry and really love the knife but all vids and pics I see it's more like 50%. Granted most just get the knife in and shoot a video and send it on its way. Anybody with more knowledge than me give me some words of encouragement would be helpful. Thanks for looking!
mikey177

Re: Stovepipe lockup concern

Post by mikey177 »

My Stovepipe locks up at a bit over 50%. I've had it since March, but I don't carry it daily. I'm not a heavy flipper either.

Bumping this thread up in case someone has more info regarding your question.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't know if the stovepipe has a steel insert in the Ti. The first gen military also didn't have a steel insert so they changed this in the later models. I don't know if this was to cope with lockstick or premature wear on the Ti lock face.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think it was mostly to appease the worryers.

From what I've seen it's pretty common for that lock type to wear in fairly quickly to a certain point, then stabilize and remain there for a long time. Of course, if you're using it for a fidget toy it will wear out faster than if you were just using it for a knife.
lagginirl

Post by lagginirl »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:41 am
I think it was mostly to appease the worryers.

From what I've seen it's pretty common for that lock type to wear in fairly quickly to a certain point, then stabilize and remain there for a long time. Of course, if you're using it for a fidget toy it will wear out faster than if you were just using it for a knife.
From what I have read you seem to be pretty accurate. I do fidget it a bit more than I should but I'm ok with that. I hear some well flipped Spydiechefs have the same lock up as my Stovepipe. So I'll just keep a eye on it. Thanks for the replies everyone.