Clipit rescue ATS-55 value

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meneldor

Clipit rescue ATS-55 value

Post by Meneldor »

Hi folks, this is my first post here, longtime lurker. Y’all seem like a friendly bunch! I have an option to buy a Clipit Rescue in ATS-55, with an orange FRN handle. Tang stamp is Spyderco ATS-55 on one side, Seki City Japan on the other. The owner is a friend of mine, with no knife or Spydie knowledge and I want to give her a fair price. The little bit of reading on this forum I’ve done tells me ATS-55 was only used for a short time and is rather collectible? Is there a way to date the knife? What would be a fair price range for a well-used, kinda rusty one, to a new in box one?

PS I read over the forum rules abd didn’t see anything that says this is not a permitted kind of question here, but if I’ve transgressed, please tell me!
JSumm

Re: Clipit rescue ATS-55 value

Post by JSumm »

Giving you a bump to see if anyone can help you. Your first few posts here will be moderated and may take a bit before they are visible to the group. Welcome to the Forum!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Meneldor,

Welcome to our forum.

ATS-55 was made exclusively for Spyderco by Hitachi.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:49 am
Hi Meneldor,

Welcome to our forum.

ATS-55 was made exclusively for Spyderco by Hitachi.

sal
Even though Spyderco ultimately discovered that VG-10 was better I still to this day have a fondness for ATS-55. I still think it was a great steel for serrated models.

It depends on a lot of factors that would determine the value of the ATS-55 model that the OP spoke of. The ATS-55 era ran from about 1998 to about 2001 or 02. But those ATS-55 models were around for some time after that. The RESCUE is a pretty common model but if it's NIB ( new in factory box) there should be some collector out there that would like to have it.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I bought an ATS-55 Rescue new in box for around $60 at one point, and then a second one for over $100 (I think, it's been a while). They didn't have the orange handles though, just plain black.

But yeah if they're in good condition they should be worth at least that much, to the right buyer.

I got this older rusty Rescue for around $30, the steel is G-2.

Hopefully this helps you decide on a fair price for your knife!