Rockscale Designs Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger_Ike

Rockscale Designs Manix

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Just got some Rockscale designs titanium scales for my Manix. Install was pretty easy. The hardest part was the lanyard tube. Used some lube and pounded on them with the butt of my screwdriver and they eventually seated. No rattle, so that’s good.

I love not having the liners. I don’t need all the jimping, and never cared for the look of it. My wife says it looked like a bicycle chain. :winking-tongue

Quality is really nice and the texture is perfect. A light sand blasted texture to keep it from being slick.

My only problem with them is one side is flawless and one side has strange lines horizontally across the scales. Not sure if they are milling marks or grain. Any ideas? The one on the right is fine. The left one has the lines.

I’m kinda bummed a little about it. Trying to decide if I should box them back up and send them back or just live with it.

That being said I still like them better than the g10 over the heavily jimped liners. I really like the gray color!

I’ll most likely keep them and try to forget about the lines. Just not sure I will order anything from them again, or can recommend them.

Attaching a few more pics:

Last edited by Ranger_Ike on Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Re: Rockscale Designs Manix

Post by JRinFL »

I like the look, too bad the scales are mismatched. I could live with either scale as long as the other side matched. I would contact them and see what they say. Hopefully they take care of you because I kind of want a set now.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

We will find out, I emailed them and asked for an exchange. Guess I get to test out their customer service. I really like the scales and hope it works out. Looks like they are sold out right now on their site, so not sure what they will say.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Just out of curiosity, did loss or gain weight changing the scales ? They look nice and I have to agree the look of both scales would bother me too . Hope something good comes out of this problem . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Never mind Ranger , I figured it out checked home site . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Just out of curiosity I weighed mine. I didn’t weigh it before, but right now it’s 4.15 oz.

I do have a titanium clip and titanium ball cage also. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Now that I think about it I kinda of have a Ship of Theseus going on here. The only thing left from the original is the blade.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Dude those scales look good! I probably wouldn’t consider them for mine tho, simply because I love the jimping+g10 too much. And m390 is pretty sweet!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Yeah I really like them too. Hoping the exchange turns out good. The more I handle it the more I like them. Definitely feels different without the jimping.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Those are some great looking scales. I think that is more grain showing than tool marks, but hope they take care of you. Can you share where you got your titanium cage?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Those, if a matching set may have just cost me some money! I've got a thing for titanium lately, so why not for my favorite model?! I've got one in grooved micarta, another in titanium would be a nice contrast! I'd swap them into this knife.

I think that would be a nice combo. Thanks and no thanks haha! I'll be following this to hear about your customer service first though if you end up choosing that route.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:43 pm
Those, if a matching set may have just cost me some money! I've got a thing for titanium lately, so why not for my favorite model?! I've got one in grooved micarta, another in titanium would be a nice contrast! I'd swap them into this knife.

I think that would be a nice combo. Thanks and no thanks haha! I'll be following this to hear about your customer service first though if you end up choosing that route.
That black blade in Titanium would look stunning . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

No liners?
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda like the grain side, I think it would be cool if both sides were like that.

The way the middle finger groove is contoured is half way to being how I modded mine. May as well take it to the bench grinder and make it perfect :winking-tongue

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Rinzler wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:13 pm
No liners?
No liners. The scales are the exact thickness of the original liners and g10 together.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:19 am
I kinda like the grain side, I think it would be cool if both sides were like that.

The way the middle finger groove is contoured is half way to being how I modded mine. May as well take it to the bench grinder and make it perfect :winking-tongue

That looks good! They actually have a “skinny mod” version that removes the finger groove altogether.

Edited to add link:

https://rockscaledesign.com/products/ti ... -skinny-ab
Last edited by Ranger_Ike on Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

kirilpetkov wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:48 pm
Thanks for sharing. Those look awesome and I went back and forth on those versus the plain. Any issues with yours?
benben

Post by benben »

Very impressive, looks nice!
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

They seem to have good reviews on their website, hopefully their customer service matches. Good luck! 🤞
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've been tempted by these many times. I thought there was a version that resulted in a thinner than stock handle? I actually like the idea of slimming it down.

Sorry to see the scales don't match, but the good ol' pocket-wash should snail trail those lines into oblivion eventually!