Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Post by Buddafucco »

I got a SpyderEdge Swick5.
I've possibly gone boarderline obsessed with this model in particular. I started the search a week or so after it was announced on May 5th 2020. Searched many many sites, many many times per day. Everyday. On the 811th day, I finally saw the Add To Cart button. I could have waited until somebody else spotted it, but what's the fun in that. I don't say that to put down Spyderco. I get it, the world stopped and lots of life happened. For me, it was a long marathon and i finally crossed the finish line! Now i just have to help everyone else find one. Yes, I know I have issues. Even if i end up hating it, this knife will always have sentimental value to me.
Anyways.
I haven't used or carried it yet but i figured somebody might appreciate the pics. Even if they're not great.
I have big hands but not particularly meaty hands. I wear a 2XL glove. Fingers are usually snug to roomie but they're usually never quite long enough.
It's got a nice polished finish that I wasn't expecting. Stonewashed? No grind lines are visible. Very nice.
The jimping is not sharp or aggressive, but it works. Probably a little smoother from the surface finishing and probably better for not snagging on clothing.
The G-10 texturing feels like the normal "grit". Same as the Manix2, PM2, Dodo, Smallfly2 and the Police4 I have within arms reach.
The scales have no screws and appear to be non-removable.
Handle size is small and snugg for me. I wasn't expecting it to be a full size handle. Hoping it wasn't actually. Pocketable is what i was after. And it is.
The "pommel" doesn't stick out from the bottom of my hand enough to be a glass breaker. I bet in an emergency I could leave the sheath on and use it as a glass breaker that way.
The bevel along the spine is a nice touch.
Here's the pics...

And here I tried to be a hand model.

Swick5:

Swick6:

Swick5:

Swick6:

Swick5:

Swick5:

Swick6:

Swick6:

This next one i think is "the" grip to use. If this were a Swick6 with the smaller hole, my knuckle might be scraping. So I dunno if the smaller hole will be too tight for me in this grip.

Swick5:

Swick6:

Swick6:
Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
•• Beau
vivi

Re: Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Post by vivi »

looks good.

I was hoping the scales were removable to make contouring them by hand easier, but I'll just be careful. Still thrilled it has scales from the factory either way.

the last photo looks more like how I held mine than the first photo.

hoping we see PE any day now.

still unreal this is out. I asked for this specific combination years and years ago, then there was the epic wait in getting these out. I knew it'd be worth the wait. The execution looks perfect.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Beau,

Thanx much for your support n getting this odd model, and Thanx much for your sharing excellent photos.

Like Vivi, the last "grip" is what I would recommend. That's not going to easily dislodged from your hand, even in a rough and tumble situation.This project took ore than 20 years of development from the first model to your receiving the first production Swick. I am honored by your passion.

I'll try to pull together the many models in the chain and get some photos posted. The original SPOT (Self Protection Option Tool) came out about the turn of century. It was my version of Using Fred Perrin's brilliant "Finger Ring". Then we went through a series of Dive tools and about 5 variations of "Swicks", sprints sold Consumer Direct to get feedback, before actually making a production Swick (a combination of Swift and quick).

Where it goes from here will need intelligent feedback.

If any of you have any of the version, you might post some pics. (I'm not very good at pics and will solicit assistance at the shop).

Thanx again Beau.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Great write up! Can’t wait to get one myself, leaning towards the PE 6 for my small hands
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fantastic shots scales look very nice . Hope to see more released . Thanks for photos and comments. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Swick 3 (IIRC) next to a Manix XL

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

those photos are very helpful. thank you for the write-up!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here is the first Swick I ever owned.

No scales or sheath with this one.

I had a local guy make some kydex designed for carrying on the front of my belt around 1 o clock.

Most fixed blades print when carried horizontal on the front of the belt, but with how compact the Swicks overall profile is, I found it disappeared.

The Swick always amazed me with how compact it was while still offering a full grip, even with my hand size. It's a really cool design.

Having scales and sheath included this time is a game changer for me. I'm going to end up with a lot of them!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I can’t wait to get one! It’ll be pressed into service as a life jacket knife. The 6 in PE is the one I need, I think.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thank’s for the pics and first impressions!

I have skinny, long fingers, so I’ll get a 6PE out the gate and see where it goes from there.
It’s a design that needed to sink in for a while before I was ready to embrace it, but by now I have very positive feelings about it and eagerly anticipate its European availability. If it proves to be as useful as I hope, it’s not totally unrealistic that I’ll add a 5 specifically for use with gloves.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Looks like all Swick 5 & 6 models will finally ship to dealers as soon as August 2022 per Spyderco byte July 2022:

“Due to unforeseen challenges, the release of the Swick 5 and 6, which were unveiled in Reveal 5 [May 5, 2020], have been delayed for quite some time. We are finally pleased to announce that initial production of the Swick 6 will be shipping in early August. We are also working hard to follow that with the Swick 5. As always, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in our products.”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:34 pm

The "pommel" doesn't stick out from the bottom of my hand enough to be a glass breaker. I bet in an emergency I could leave the sheath on and use it as a glass breaker that way.

Thanks for the review and apt pictures Buddafucco. Sometimes it’s more about the journey than just the destination.

Mine is Swick5 SpyderEdge for the car. I was also thinking of keeping it in sheath to use as glass breaker for the side windows. Swick5 with large hole is it for me due to the knuckle issue. The Wharncliffe blade and full serrations is ideal for breaking open those hard plastic packages. Hope to have mine in hand next month. I may forgo another one in plain edge to get the Subway Bowie instead.

What do you find different with this sheath as opposed to other such sheaths from Spyderco?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Thanks for the in-hand pictures.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for posting. It is an interesting knife, to be sure. My hands are not as long, but they are meatier or thicker and I wear a 2XL. My fingers sometimes don't go to the end of the glove and sometimes they do. Sometimes the webs don't reach the glove when my fingers hit the ends. I guess it all depends on where and by who the glove was made. Anyway. I had wondered whether my finger would go through the hole.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:16 pm
Thanks for posting. It is an interesting knife, to be sure. My hands are not as long, but they are meatier or thicker and I wear a 2XL. My fingers sometimes don't go to the end of the glove and sometimes they do. Sometimes the webs don't reach the glove when my fingers hit the ends. I guess it all depends on where and by who the glove was made. Anyway. I had wondered whether my finger would go through the hole.
Go to the washer section of your local Ace Hardware store and start stickin' yo' finger through 'em. Round metal rings, hard plastic or nylon rings. Round edges preferable. Note the ID of what's comfortable for you when you bend your knuckles.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good idea. My ACE only carries packages, but a small local shop probably carries loose ones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My thoughts on the SWICK model are positive. I've owned two of them over the years but now I most definitely want that full SE with LC200N. That changes the rules of the game. The more I get into knives as I get older I'm starting to appreciate fixed blades a bit more than I do folders.

Almost all of your survival manuals recommend fixed blades over folders for several reasons. Mainly because there is nothing that can malfunction and there are no moving parts to eventually wear out. The SWICK would be the ideal size to make a fixed blade your main EDC. I think the SWICK and Streetbeat are two fixed blade models I could enjoy having as EDC models.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m headed to work but I’ll try get some pics this evening. For its intended purposes the knife and sheath are near perfection. That being said, I almost instantly wanted another version with a working sized grip. It would lose some of it’s concealed carry prowess but it could feel better for regular or extended use. I hate to be the guy asking for variations so quick and with so little use to base it on, but it’s where my head went almost instantly. Anyway, it was well worth the wait and I’m confident it will be in my small fixie rotation for years to come.

Sal, thank YOU for the dedication to this project and it’s execution! Superb sir!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm wondering about using a steel like LC200N for breaking tempered glass in cars. Most glass breakers for that purpose are hardened much harder that LC200N or are made from carbide. I wonder, has anyone tried it on junk yard glass?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001