Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Post by JRinFL »

You can probably round the tip on one with a grinder if you go slow and dip in water frequently to keep the steel cool. Much more likely to get what you need rather than waiting for the Spyderco production backlog to clear.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SchooneBum,

I'm a "SloopBum" myself. Thanx for the kind words. The "Swick" was refined over a 22 year period with 8+ models build in the interim and most sold in small batches consumer direct for feedback.

I agree with Jim in that you can probably create our own Swick Sheepfoot, or have a maker mod one. You may lose 1/2" in length, but it would be an effective tool on board. We're not likely to make another version for a while and there would have to be obvious demand to do so.

sal
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Sal,

That's awesome! What and where do you/have you sailed? I own a sloop myself these days and spent most of my professional career in square-rig, but I started on a 130' wooden schooner that needed the rig put back up after shipyard. We did a LOT of seizings and a Swick sure would have been handy for that project.

Thanks to you and Jim both for the great idea. I'll post photos of my future Swick Sheepfoot. :-)

Bryce
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Anyone have pics of the Swick 6 with the smaller hole in hand yet?
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I was going to do some yardwork with the Swick 5, but was foiled by a sudden downpour. Took some photos so the afternoon wouldn't be a total waste.
swick5_02.jpg
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:30 pm
Anyone have pics of the Swick 6 with the smaller hole in hand yet?

The July 2022 Spyderco byte mentioned (see below in quotations) that Swick 6 will ship in early August 2022 so I'm assuming they're on their way to dealers and we should see them soon:

“Due to unforeseen challenges, the release of the Swick 5 and 6, which were unveiled in Reveal 5 [May 5, 2020], have been delayed for quite some time. We are finally pleased to announce that initial production of the Swick 6 will be shipping in early August. We are also working hard to follow that with the Swick 5. As always, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in our products.”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
rashman

Post by rashman »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:34 pm
I got a SpyderEdge Swick5.
I've possibly gone boarderline obsessed with this model in particular. I started the search a week or so after it was announced on May 5th 2020. Searched many many sites, many many times per day. Everyday. On the 811th day, I finally saw the Add To Cart button. I could have waited until somebody else spotted it, but what's the fun in that. I don't say that to put down Spyderco. I get it, the world stopped and lots of life happened. For me, it was a long marathon and i finally crossed the finish line! Now i just have to help everyone else find one. Yes, I know I have issues. Even if i end up hating it, this knife will always have sentimental value to me.
Anyways.
I haven't used or carried it yet but i figured somebody might appreciate the pics. Even if they're not great.
I have big hands but not particularly meaty hands. I wear a 2XL glove. Fingers are usually snug to roomie but they're usually never quite long enough.
It's got a nice polished finish that I wasn't expecting. Stonewashed? No grind lines are visible. Very nice.
The jimping is not sharp or aggressive, but it works. Probably a little smoother from the surface finishing and probably better for not snagging on clothing.
The G-10 texturing feels like the normal "grit". Same as the Manix2, PM2, Dodo, Smallfly2 and the Police4 I have within arms reach.
The scales have no screws and appear to be non-removable.
Handle size is small and snugg for me. I wasn't expecting it to be a full size handle. Hoping it wasn't actually. Pocketable is what i was after. And it is.
The "pommel" doesn't stick out from the bottom of my hand enough to be a glass breaker. I bet in an emergency I could leave the sheath on and use it as a glass breaker that way.
The bevel along the spine is a nice touch.
Here's the pics...

And here I tried to be a hand model.

This next one i think is "the" grip to use. If this were a Swick6 with the smaller hole, my knuckle might be scraping. So I dunno if the smaller hole will be too tight for me in this grip.

Thank you Beau! These photos were super helpful - looks like the SWICK 5 is the one for my mits
I’m wanting the plain edge, but I might need two - lol
Last edited by rashman on Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
sal

Post by sal »

Beau's pics and presentation are exceptional in showing the model and some of it's functions. On the hole size, too big is better than too small.

Talkin' Story;

About 22+ years ago, while working with Fred Perrin, I was intrigued with his "finger Ring" Concept. Fred is a brilliant designer and a very smart guy. I recognize that Fred designed the "Finger Ring" so you could "park" the knife, to free your fingers, without re-sheathing. But another very important feature of this concept is that the knife now becomes part of your hand. Fred figured this out very early on and he designed a self defense knife called "La Grif". Little more than a short blade, a finger Ring and a lanyard to make up the balance of the handle. Fred is a minimalist and "La Grif" certainly was that.

Fred's model was knocked off by many over the years, with few giving him credit for his brilliant concept. (FYI, Spyderco has paid Fred a Royalty for every "Finger Ring" knife I designed over the past decades).

I learned a bit about "defanging the snake", (Knocking a knife out of an opponents hand) while taking the "Riddle of Steel" with the Great James Keating, the concept stuck. While getting MBC pointers from Michael Janich, another brilliant designer and very smart guy, Mike taught me a number of ways to "defang the snake". This is a very important concept when thinking of using a blade for self defense. Michael was Spyderco's instructor in Martial Blade Craft and he taught classes at Spyderco. BTW, Michael still teaches through his Martial Blade Concepts school.

I realized that the most important thing about using a knife for self defense is to not drop the knife. The first model that I designed was a neck knife, using Fred's"Finger Ring" with a bit more handle than his "La Grif". It was called the "SPOT". (Self Protection Option Tool). We did a few runs and I learned quite a bot about what I was doing. We couldn't sell the knife in the UK because it is illegal to defend yourself in the UK. So I don't call the Swicks a dedicated SD knife. Which is good because it has a lot of other features that have nothing to do with self Defense.

Then I designed a couple of Diving knives using the "Finger Ring", again, to avoid dropping the knife into the deep. These too were offered as production models to the general market. One with a point and one pointless?

The next chapter was to design the Swicks. (Swift + Quick = Swick). I designed versions 1 through 5 using different blade shapes and Finger Ring sizes, made about 500 each and sold them consumer direct to get feedback. Once satisfied, I designed the Swick 5 & 6 and we went into production. Micheal's Wharncliffe blade shape and Fred's Finger Ring and sal's ergos. I should have called it the "Perrich" (Perrin & Janich), but Swick sounded more marketable.

The knife can be held in your pocket with your finger in the Ring. The sheath can be "popped" off with the thumb so two hands are not necessary to free the blade. It can also be used as a neck knife or a clipped to a belt.

Then we ran into sheath mfg issues that took a llooonngg time to solve. My apologies. Just some history to share.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Would the pointless one be the Caspian?
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

As a historical note, you are also probably aware of the Jefferson Spivey Finger Ring Hunting Knife Design patent from the early 70s: https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=D02 ... first+page and https://www.spiveysabertooth.com/

Regretfully, Jefferson Spivey passed away on July 26, 202 https://www.oklahoman.com/obituaries/pokl0270693

There are also a number of patents from 1891 through 1979 that utilize a "finger hole" handle/tang innovation.

nb
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skeeg,

Yes, they were both Caspians.

Hi Brian,

Thanx for the history. Good stuff.

sal
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I recently bought a SWICK 5 and I'm very impressed. I've been looking for an EDC Karambit for years, but everything I've tried didn't work. They were too thick, too heavy, to sharply hooked, too...something deal breaking for a defensive fixed blade. While I haven't had a chance to test it on anything more than the packaging it came in, the SWICK seems to be a compact and sharp fixed blade that isn't going to leave my hand unless I want it to. It's incredibly light, compact, thin, sharp, corrosion resistant, and most importantly came with a very well thought-out kydex sheath.

I also really appreciate the effective serrations and the LC200 steel. I wouldn't bother with super wear-resistant steel, or even a plain edge on a knife as focused as this one is, but it has proven to cut very well the few times I've used mine to open a package or cut a string.

I've been using mine with a 'tactical tether' (cord tied to one of the rivets) tucked into my waistband and it's perfect. It seems like the "S&W J-Frame" of fixed blade knives - effective and small enough to always carry.

I already ordered a spare.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:15 am
Hi Skeeg,

Yes, they were both Caspians.

Hi Brian,

Thanx for the history. Good stuff.

sal
Thanks for the reply. Although unlikely to be brought back for lack of sales, as a surf fisherman I've always appreciated the concept of serrated on the inner curve, a blunt tip and plain edge on the outer curve that could even serve for skinning chores. Instead, I will be getting the small serrated Swick as soon as it hits the shelves to assuage the soul.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ferruginous,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for your kind words.

sal
rashman

Post by rashman »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:06 pm
Beau's pics and presentation are exceptional in showing the model and some of it's functions. On the hole size, too big is better than too small.

Talkin' Story;

About 22+ years ago, while working with Fred Perrin, I was intrigued with his "finger Ring" Concept. Fred is a brilliant designer and a very smart guy. I recognize that Fred designed the "Finger Ring" so you could "park" the knife, to free your fingers, without re-sheathing. But another very important feature of this concept is that the knife now becomes part of your hand. Fred figured this out very early on and he designed a self defense knife called "La Grif". Little more than a short blade, a finger Ring and a lanyard to make up the balance of the handle. Fred is a minimalist and "La Grif" certainly was that.

Fred's model was knocked off by many over the years, with few giving him credit for his brilliant concept. (FYI, Spyderco has paid Fred a Royalty for every "Finger Ring" knife I designed over the past decades).

I learned a bit about "defanging the snake", (Knocking a knife out of an opponents hand) while taking the "Riddle of Steel" with the Great James Keating, the concept stuck. While getting MBC pointers from Michael Janich, another brilliant designer and very smart guy, Mike taught me a number of ways to "defang the snake". This is a very important concept when thinking of using a blade for self defense. Michael was Spyderco's instructor in Martial Blade Craft and he taught classes at Spyderco. BTW, Michael still teaches through his Martial Blade Concepts school.

I realized that the most important thing about using a knife for self defense is to not drop the knife. The first model that I designed was a neck knife, using Fred's"Finger Ring" with a bit more handle than his "La Grif". It was called the "SPOT". (Self Protection Option Tool). We did a few runs and I learned quite a bot about what I was doing. We couldn't sell the knife in the UK because it is illegal to defend yourself in the UK. So I don't call the Swicks a dedicated SD knife. Which is good because it has a lot of other features that have nothing to do with self Defense.

Then I designed a couple of Diving knives using the "Finger Ring", again, to avoid dropping the knife into the deep. These too were offered as production models to the general market. One with a point and one pointless?

The next chapter was to design the Swicks. (Swift + Quick = Swick). I designed versions 1 through 5 using different blade shapes and Finger Ring sizes, made about 500 each and sold them consumer direct to get feedback. Once satisfied, I designed the Swick 5 & 6 and we went into production. Micheal's Wharncliffe blade shape and Fred's Finger Ring and sal's ergos. I should have called it the "Perrich" (Perrin & Janich), but Swick sounded more marketable.

The knife can be held in your pocket with your finger in the Ring. The sheath can be "popped" off with the thumb so two hands are not necessary to free the blade. It can also be used as a neck knife or a clipped to a belt.

Then we ran into sheath mfg issues that took a llooonngg time to solve. My apologies. Just some history to share.

sal
Thank you Sal,
I’ve always appreciated your talkin story’s and history of how things came to be and giving credit to everyone involved.
- Jim
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Any thoughts on SE vs PE for the Swick?
Though I needed some time to realize this design have something to offer me, I’ve already known for quite some time that I’ll be getting one.
Though it looks really well thought out and useful, it’s such a new concept to me that I have no idea how it will fit into my use.
I imagine it could serve well at outdoor stuff and as a work knife, but being that I need to learn as I go, where this knife fits in, it’s kind of hard to know how to think about serrations?
PE is in my view more universal, so it feels like a safer choice, but then again it’s the kind of knife that may end up fulfilling a very specific use case where SE could make a significant difference with such a short edge.

SD isn’t a priority. If the need arise I’ll use what I have. Preferably just my shoes. It won’t have any influence on my choice of edge

Still waiting for the 6 and EU availability, so I probably have quite some time to make up my mind.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Unless I have a need for cutting lots of fibrous material like rope, I always choose SE for a knife in this blade length. As vivi has noted, you can put a course edge on a PE blade and get excellent performance for all needs.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:47 am
Unless I have a need for cutting lots of fibrous material like rope, I always choose SE for a knife in this blade length. As vivi has noted, you can put a course edge on a PE blade and get excellent performance for all needs.
I guess you meant to say PE, but I get it. I’m thinking along the same lines, but with the caveat that I really don’t know what will end up being the primary use case.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:51 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:47 am
I guess you meant to say PE, but I get it. I’m thinking along the same lines, but with the caveat that I really don’t know what will end up being the primary use case.
Yes, sorry. I did mean PE.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Anyone know where a PE is in stock?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb