Black Wire Clips for new batch of P'kals

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Black Wire Clips for new batch of P'kals

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I EDC a P'kal and two other knives when ever I go out. SD, utility, and a small public friendly knife is the usual carry. Most of the time my shirt covers my pockets so it's not an issue, but when people do get a quick look, I like to not appear to be bristling with weapons in every pocket.

I try to not have more than 2 shiny clips at a time. Even better when it's only one. And with my collection it's not hard to find at least one black clip knife to carry. But since I carry the P'kal every day, there's always the one in my right front pocket. 2 in my right front pocket if the utility knife I'm carrying has a shiny clip too. The wire clip in itself is pretty low key, but two shiny clips in the pocket stands out even when one of them is a wire clip. When both of them are wire clips it almost looks like you've got a pistol holster in your pocket.

Anyways I was thinking it would be great if we could get the new batch of P'kals made with black clips, or if a few black wire clips were made for sale direct from Spyderco. Pie in the sky, I'd love an all black P'kal. But the clip is really the important bit.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bemo

Re: Black Wire Clips for new batch of P'kals

Post by Bemo »

I would like that too. I think the options right now are either scavenge a black wire clip off of a UKPK Salt or aftermarket Lynch clip that replaces the wire clip. I just got 2 of them out of curiosity and find that they don't necessarily work on every knife with a clip but boy does it change the way my Chaparral LW looks.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You could try acid washing one to see if it darkens it enough for you. It will also dull the finish so it is less shiny.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Can't you already buy replacement clips directly from Spyderco?

Just tell them you need a replacement clip for a ukpk salt.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

You could always take a can of spray paint to the one you got (probably not the most durable) or find someone to cerakote it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I replaced my Caly 3.5 with a black Sage wire clip??
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I thought about spray paint, but not sure how it would turn out. And I don't want to ruin the only clip I have. Thought about just using a sharpie too :rofl

The UKPK and Lynch clips (which I have) are deep carry clips. I want the P'kal style wire clip, which is not deep carry. The P'kal wire clip makes the knife very easy to quickly remove the knife from the pocket and I don't wish to alter that in any way by switching to a different style clip.

I have also thought of having someone cerakote it, but I imagine that would be an expensive pocket clip.

If Spyderco doesn't go for it, I'll likely leave the clip alone, rather than risk damaging it trying to DYI a new finish or losing it by shipping it somewhere.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

I've had good luck with black wire pocket clips for Spyderco's purchased off eBay. Several sellers.
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

You could try a Manix 2 LW clip. They are very similar. The Manix clip looks a little longer.

Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Use the Milwaukee deep carry clip. The whole knife is $8. It fits perfectly and is black. I have one on a manix lw. I’ll get a picture later.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I appreciate the suggestions, the manix is close. But I want a black P'kal clip, not a clip from a different knife.

Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Well I'll be! Thanks Rinzler!
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Feel like I didn't do right by this topic, or Zrows.

On an overall larger note, I agree completely. I think some black clips should be made available for purchase through the site. Basically every shiny Spyderco clip I have, I'd end up buying the cerakote/DLC/what have ya finish after the fact because I just value discretion that much. Sometimes I go in-pocket or IWB for this reason.

I know it's been talked about a bunch, and there's many views on aftermarket fiddling, but I think we can all safely install a pocket clip. Perhaps a warning on the actual product pages for these clips could contain some language like "Spyderco is not responsible for the use of soft Torx bits" :grimace Seriously though, big ol warning that says, you may have to bend/tweak this yourself, it wasn't fitted to your knife, yadda yadda.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:12 pm
I appreciate the suggestions, the manix is close. But I want a black P'kal clip, not a clip from a different knife.
Get it powder coated then. I would order a spare and get both powder coated together. Can’t be too expensive and a professional could likely throw the clips in with another job
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Thanx for the thought and the thread. I'll let mfg know. I'll forward this thread to management, as I usually do.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

FWIW, in my experience, black clips (either the wired or standard version) from Spyderco official mounted on knives that I EDC on regular basis have have the black coating scratch off, sometimes on an alarmingly fast rate. And I don't even bump my pockets on a surface (I tend to be more careful with a knife in the pocket).

This is why I immediately switch to a powdercoated aftermarket black clip if I intend to use a Spyderco with black hardware on a regular basis.

If lowkey appearance is your goal, you might find yourself with a black clip with silver scratches sooner than you think, so my suggestion would be to just aftermarket powdercoat a silver clip for stronger retention of the black color.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:26 pm
Hi Matt,

Thanx for the thought and the thread. I'll let mfg know. I'll forward this thread to management, as I usually do.

sal
Thanks for considering the idea. :respect

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I don't have any P'kals, but I live in an increasingly knife unfriendly environment, so I can absolutely relate to the "low key" part.
In my experience it's all about contrast, so how well a certain clip works depends very much on what you wear.
Black can actually create a lot of contrast against a whole bunch of lighter colors.
And surface treatment matters. Shiny black may be more visible than acid washed or stone washed, even against a dark or even black textile.

When I'm at work or in public spaces (i.e. likely to be around sensitive people), I typically wear blue jeans, and while matte black works quite well, I feel like uncoated brushed, blasted, stone washed or acid washed is more discrete (in that order).

Side note: while nothing beats the convenience of getting the knife from Spyderco with your preferred clip option, both modifying the surface treatment and applying coatings can be quite manageable and fun DIY projects.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hello old thread. Thought I'd give it a bump and say I am still very much interested in a Black Clip for the P'kal.

I recently got a Ikuchi, and like the P'kal I didn't like how the shiny wire clip stands out in the pocket. So I put one of my black Lil Native wire clips on it, and it definitely improved the looks of the Ikuchi and made it very low key in pocket. You'd have to look hard for it to catch your eye.

I put very serious consideration into taking the black wire clip from my other Lil Native and putting it on the P'kal. Or even putting one of the Lynch Wire replacement clips on it.

But Im loath to mess with ergos and function of the stock clip, which is not a deep carry clip, and is longer than the Lil Native clip. So before I try anything drastic I thought I would see if there has been any movement on this.

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Put a small piece of heat shrink tube on it.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”