2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: 2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by JSumm »

Love it!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:38 pm
Happy to report I’m in ! Paramilitary 2 Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive black blade Wharncliffe . A wonderful Forum member helped me . Another reason why the Forum is such a great place . Regards MG2
Looks great, Dan! The grayscale looks great on your image. Hope this one makes its way into the calender. :crossed-fingers
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:38 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:11 pm

Model Name: C83GRD Persian Folder Red G-10 Sprint Run
Forum Name: SpyderNut

The graceful lines of the Persian's trailing point blade always seem to conjure memories of outdoor adventures. This knife was a special gift from my wife, a person with whom I am fortunate to share many outdoor adventures. In the background are a pair of antique snow shoes that my wife graciously allowed me to use to capture the shot. Best of luck to all who enter the contest! I am looking forward to seeing everyone's submissions. A big "thank you" to Spyderco for the opportunity to participate in the contest.

-Michael
One of my favorite pictures so far or maybe it’s just the cool knife. What kind of camera did you use and did you do any post editing? The sharpness and colors of everything just pop.

Thanks, William! I really appreciate that. I took this picture just using an iPhone 11 on a cloudy afternoon. (I think cloudy conditions seem to work best for taking knife pictures because it helps to cut down on light catching the blade and causing unwanted shadows or bright spots). I used a couple of the editing filters to dial in the contrast, sharpness, and warmth. I also increased the vignette to give the shot more of a "rustic" appearance. Hope this helps!

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:17 pm

Thanks, William! I really appreciate that. I took this picture just using an iPhone 11 on a cloudy afternoon. (I think cloudy conditions seem to work best for taking knife pictures because it helps to cut down on light catching the blade and causing unwanted shadows or bright spots). I used a couple of the editing filters to dial in the contrast, sharpness, and warmth. I also increased the vignette to give the shot more of a "rustic" appearance. Hope this helps!

-Michael
That is great that you did that with an iPhone. I used a mid level Canon DSLR 4000x6000 with a 50mm portrait lens. I am sure there is something I am missing but when I took a few with my iPhone they were almost better. Next year I might just stick to my basic phone to avoid a lot of issues. I really can’t wait to see what the iPhone 20 will do in ten years.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:49 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Happy to report I’m in ! Paramilitary 2 Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive black blade Wharncliffe . A wonderful Forum member helped me . Another reason why the Forum is such a great place . Regards MG2
Looks great, Dan! The grayscale looks great on your image. Hope this one makes its way into the calender. :crossed-fingers
Thank you sir ! I sorted through my personal library of shots and thought it was time to go back to my roots from years ago in B&W so started a fresh set of pictures and experimented. This is a fun rewarding contest no matter the outcome . Regards Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:06 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:49 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thank you sir ! I sorted through my personal library of shots and thought it was time to go back to my roots from years ago in B&W so started a fresh set of pictures and experimented. This is a fun rewarding contest no matter the outcome . Regards Dan
The black and white was great. I was playing around with the idea of leaving the knife in color and making the background in B&W. Got vetoed by the kids but I might try for next year.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Kids ! My girls look at my knives and say like there Mom , “ oh that one is so cute ! “ . One does like fine cutlery, I’m working on the other .:) Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bwl2021

Post by bwl2021 »

My photo contribution for the 2023 calendar:

"An empty snail shell is brought to life by the Pingo C163 Ti as an inhabitant."

Good luck to all participants.
Greetings John

huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

beauty shot!!!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
bwl2021

Post by bwl2021 »

Thank you Huyfishin. Regards John
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

harryo97 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:51 pm
Hopefully this works! Will be posting this with higher resolution on the other website soon. If for some reason the “SALT” font on the salt bowl is a restriction for posting let me know, I have a different dragonfly picture without it that I can post.

Wanted to have a spring/summer appeal with this one. This is a Spyderco Dragonfly with lemons and limes around it (all cut with the dragonfly of course). The salt bowl was my great grandmothers, and fits perfectly with the salt knife theme. Hoping y’all enjoy it!

-Harrison :bug-red-white
I discovered this contest a bit late but just wanted to say that I love your submission.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Reason for photo: Big milestones lately career wise. This knife was my promotion present for making Sergeant. And I had pleasure to swap back to being on tanks. I wanted to incorporate both. Thanks.

This is compressed photo. The one I submitted on the link meets the size requirement.
Attachments
Compress_20220801_112928_8795.jpg
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:03 pm
Reason for photo: Big milestones lately career wise. This knife was my promotion present for making Sergeant. And I had pleasure to swap back to being on tanks. I wanted to incorporate both. Thanks.

This is compressed photo. The one I submitted on the link meets the size requirement.
Very nice picture. I’m glad you getting to pursue your dreams ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:56 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:03 pm

Very nice picture. I’m glad you getting to pursue your dreams ! MG2
Thanks Dan. 🙂
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I've received some positive feedback on previous versions of this, so here is my tribute to the venerable C36 Military, from my worn out Frankenmillie at the top to the very special gift at the bottom. The wheel contains every steel used in the Military so far.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Good one Yab ! Fantastic collection shot ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:18 pm
Well, I've received some positive feedback on previous versions of this, so here is my tribute to the venerable C36 Military, from my worn out Frankenmillie at the top to the very special gift at the bottom. The wheel contains every steel used in the Military so far.

Pretty awesome collection. I am look to get my first paramilitary 2 next.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

Another year, another calendar contest. Thanks again to Spyderco for hosting as always, and good luck to all the entrants!

Model: C230GBORE
Lil' Native REX 45 Sprint Run
PXL_20220803_155728996_copy_1536x2040.jpg
No matter how many Spyderco blades I own, I usually go back to the Native family predominantly for what I carry, and most of my submissions in past years have been from the extended Native family as a result.

This particular variation of the perennial mainstay in Spyderco's lineup features a proprietary lock, and a steel which I'm pretty sure I've only seen in a special run of one model from another company... If those aren't hallmarks of Spyderco then I don't know what else is.

This photo was taken on a piece of driftwood my parents, brother, and I fished out of the Atlantic ocean about twenty years ago on a family vacation, and it has sat on my property, in various places, since.
Last edited by Lumpy620 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great picture with good memories, a complete package in my book . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Lumpy620 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:17 pm
Another year, another calendar contest. Thanks again to Spyderco for hosting as always, and good luck to all the entrants!

Model: C230GBORE
Lil' Native REX 45 Sprint Run

No matter how many Spyderco blades I own, I usually go back to the Native family predominantly for what I carry, and most of my submissions in past years have been from the extended Native family as a result.

This particular variation of the perennial mainstay in Spyderco's lineup features a proprietary lock, and a steel which I'm pretty sure I've only seen in a special run of one model from another company... If those aren't hallmarks of Spyderco then I don't know what else is.

This photo was taken on a piece of driftwood my parents, brother, and I fished out of the Atlantic ocean about twenty years ago on a family vacation, and it has sat on my property, in various places, since.
Cool picture and even cooler knife. Makes me second guess myself if I want a Para 2 or lil native next.