2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by TazKristi »

Enter the 2023 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! Please read this entire announcement before entering. Several submissions were disqualified in years past because of missed details.

Seriously, please read carefully.

Contest Overview:
We are once again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by YOU, our forum members (this will be our 12th year!). We want to see your best VERTICAL shot.

We are again asking you to post your entry in this thread AND upload it along with your information through the link provided below.

The contest starts today, 06-Jul-2022, and ends at 16:00 MDT Wednesday, 31-Aug-2022. Winners will be selected by Spyderco and will be posted on the forum by Friday, 23-Sep-2022.

Calendars will be available for purchase this fall through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store (in person or online at Spyderco.com).

The Prizes:
If your image is chosen as the Grand Prize Winner, you will receive an Itamae™ Bunka Bocho (K18GPBNBK – MSRP $395), a Spyderco by Vanquest® Envoy-17 Messenger Bag (BG02 - MSRP $180.00), and a The Edge is a Ghost Pottery Mug (MUG04 – MSRP $25.00). Your image will be featured on the cover AND a calendar month page.

Artists who have their image chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 11 winners) will each receive a Spyderco Native 5 with CPM Spy27 (C41PCBL5 – MSRP $198.00), and a Spyderco Mug (MUG02 – MSRP $12.00).

Each member who enters the contest (and meets all requirements) will receive a 2023 calendar at no charge when the calendar becomes available.

Please enter to WIN - don’t enter just to receive the calendar. We appreciate everyone’s interest and support and look forward to another fantastic calendar!

Again, please read ALL the information below before posting. We know it’s a lot of words, but it’s essential! We’ve also changed how you submit your high-res image, so please pay close attention to the details.

Submission Guidelines:
Please include a 2-5 sentence description of your entry - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc., something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

Please include the product name (if you know it) in your post.

Entry must include a Spyderco product (at least one, but multiple are welcome). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Your chosen product can be pristine, used, or radically modified.

We encourage you to use your imagination and show us your creativity. Just remember, family-friendly!

Themed images are welcome. Have a favorite season or holiday? Showcase it in your image.

If your camera or image software can manipulate it – we’ll consider it. Be creative!

Remember, Spyderco is the focus of the calendar, so make sure you don’t have a lot of “dead” space. Some scenes are stunning, but if the Spyderco shown is small, it tends to get lost in the scenery.

Entries must be in a digital format and meet the formatting requirements below.

Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must edit your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions in THIS thread at the end date of the contest will invalidate all your submissions.

If you upload an image that is not in this thread, it will be disqualified.

Posting your image in this thread: It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300 ppi image to our Forums (heck, it’s not even possible!). Keeping up with web standards, a 72 ppi image preview that does not exceed 960 px in width for the forum will be just fine. You may use a photo-sharing site to provide a link to your image so long as all other requirements are met within your post. If you use a photo-sharing site, the image must remain publicly available online until 30-Sep-2022.

When you post your submission in this thread, please ALSO upload your hi-res image and contact information by clicking here. The upload piece of this has changed from years past - please read carefully!

We’re asking you to upload to our DAM (Digital Asset Management) platform. Doing so will allow you to upload larger files :cheap-sunglasses. PLEASE be sure to include the following details when you upload your file (there is a Message field to include everything you need). Failure to do so could result in your image being disqualified because we won’t have all of the information that we need.

Forum Name
First and Last Name
Mailing/Shipping Address
E-mail Address
Model Name(s) Included in Your Image

The maximum file size for uploading is 30MB. If your final submission is not uploaded (hi-res) AND posted in this thread by the close of the contest, your submission will be disqualified. If you upload (through the link) more than one image, the image last posted in this thread is what will be considered. If the high-res image you submit does not meet the Final Print Guidelines below your entry may be disqualified at our discretion.

There is no requirement for length of membership or number of posts on the forum. All are welcome to enter. Any negative comments related to new members entering the contest may forfeit your entry. This is a fun contest, and it has brought new members to our community every year. We expect comments to be respectful and on-topic.

FORMATTING Requirements:
The Spyderco 2023 Calendar will be printed in an 11” by 8 ½” VERTICAL format. Only VERTICALLY formatted images will be considered, and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All landscape formatted images will be disqualified.

We recommend keeping the edges and handles of any knives away from the edge of your image to prevent them from being cut off during production/printing.

Final Print Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 2625 px
Height: 3375 px
Resolution: 300 ppi
(This translates to 8.75” x 11.25” to account for a 1/8” bleed)

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960 px
Resolution: 72 ppi

There are several free tools you can use online to check the size and resolution of your image before submitting it.

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).

Your submission must be entirely original and created by you.

Images may not contain any promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non-Spyderco businesses, even those for personal endeavors.

Only family-friendly, tasteful submissions will be considered. Remember, this calendar will be hanging in someone’s home or office.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified before the end of the contest. However, we cannot guarantee this, so be sure to meet all requirements and review the content restrictions carefully before posting.

Eligibility:
The 2023 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to all members of the Spyderco.com Forum, who are at least 18 years of age. Proof of age may be required. There is no requirement tied to the length of membership or number of posts.

Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies, and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win.

Obligatory Fine Print:
Submitted images become the exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, the user grants unencumbered, free usage, and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Please keep in mind that there are various laws and regulations regarding knives throughout the world. If you are selected as a winner, and you live in a region that prohibits us from sending the intended prize, we have the right to substitute your prize as we see fit.

We reserve the right to substitute prizes if any unforeseen issues arise with availability.

Hints for success:
Please take a moment to view past calendar contests and get an idea of previous submissions and winners.

Here are a few links to get you started.
2018 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2018CalendarSub
2018 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2018CalendarWin

2019 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2019CalendarSub
2019 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2019CalendarWin

2020 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2020CalendarSub
2020 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2020CalendarWin

2021 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2021CalendarSubs
2021 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2021CalendarWinners

2022 Submissions: https://bit.ly/3uRIl31
2022 Winners: https://bit.ly/3ahuZpF

Be mindful of the placement of the Spyderco product; Items that are too close to the edges can be cut off when we format for printing. We also like to see the Spyderco product easily, so close-up shots are encouraged (as opposed to an item being small within a large scene – no matter how beautiful that scene is).

We are consistently in awe of the talent that our forum members have, and we’ve seen the level of skill and creativity increase every year. Give us your best! We can’t wait to see this year’s submissions! Good luck to everyone!!
There is nothing more important than this one day.
curlyhairedboy

Re: 2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Looking forward to this once more!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My favorite thread of the year! I might already have my photo ready to submit but I still have a few more photo ideas in mind I’d like to try first. Good luck everyone!
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Time to start sorting through mine and doing my typical, help me choose thread. That's always been fun, even if you guys try to sabotage me haha! :winking-tongue
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

It's that time of year again! :D
Good luck to everyone entering!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It's always an heavy weight contest but I'll give it my best shot !
I'll have access to a reflex camera during the summer, it might help (this is denial, I know)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

I am glad that the competition lasts until the end of August. I think I already have a nice photo taken, but I'm going on vacation soon and will have plenty of opportunities for sunny shots :cheap-sunglasses
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks for heads up , much appreciated. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Sweet! this is exciting!! I look forward to seeing everyone's photos! I may submit something
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

My photography skills are notoriously poor, and all that mumbo jumbo about pixels and resolutions and whatnot may as well be a never-before-seen alien language as far as I'm concerned, so I likely won't be contributing any sort of meaningful competition to those with any photography skill/knowledge.. but, I'm thinking if I can manage to take a nice enough pic, I might try to submit one this year.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries and will definitely be buying the calendar, as I have the past couple of years. Good Luck everybody!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:30 am
My photography skills are notoriously poor, and all that mumbo jumbo about pixels and resolutions and whatnot may as well be a never-before-seen alien language as far as I'm concerned, so I likely won't be contributing any sort of meaningful competition to those with any photography skill/knowledge.. but, I'm thinking if I can manage to take a nice enough pic, I might try to submit one this year.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries and will definitely be buying the calendar, as I have the past couple of years. Good Luck everybody!
I feel ya brother! I had an image selected a couple years ago but ultimately had to be disqualified because I didn't understand a single thing about all that fancy stuff either. There are a few people around here that are very skilled with that stuff and may be willing to help if you post any problems.

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

DSH007 wrote:

if you have a picture you want to submit, you can send it to me and i'll help you out. pm me if you're interested.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:49 am
DSH007 wrote:

if you have a picture you want to submit, you can send it to me and i'll help you out. pm me if you're interested.
Thank you sir, appreciate the offer! I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks and thinking the beach might be a prime setting for a decent picture.. if I come up with anything worth submitting, i'll definitely keep you in mind!
Rick H.

Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

So you have to upload to the forum as well. Or can just submit to the link?
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:44 am
DSH007 wrote:

I feel ya brother! I had an image selected a couple years ago but ultimately had to be disqualified because I didn't understand a single thing about all that fancy stuff either. There are a few people around here that are very skilled with that stuff and may be willing to help if you post any problems.
I have a friend who is really into photography, has all of the fancy equipment, and works semi-professionally taking pictures.. how much of a nut do you think i'd look like calling her up to do a photoshoot on the beach with my knives haha!? :zany
Rick H.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

You don't know what you may have just created with that post haha! (I'll also keep this in mind ;) )

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:07 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

You don't know what you may have just created with that post haha! (I'll also keep this in mind ;) )
well, i can't seem to win, so i might as well help everyone else. ;)
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Man, I had a great pic selected. But unfortunately I always take pictures in horizontal mode. Because that's the right way to do it on the phone.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Man, I had a great pic selected. But unfortunately I always take pictures in horizontal mode. Because that's the right way to do it on the phone.
it's the right way to do it for everything. don't let them tell you any different. just recreate your picture in the wrong orientation for this contest. :)
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:14 pm
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm
it's the right way to do it for everything. don't let them tell you any different. just recreate your picture in the wrong orientation for this contest. :)
Dang, I need winter and a hard freeze.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005