My first Spyderco - Spydiechef - QC questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonythetigerx2

My first Spyderco - Spydiechef - QC questions

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

Hi all.
I am a first time Spyderco owner. I purchased a Spydiechef from an AD this past week and I really do love the design and features of the knife.
I do have a couple of quality control questions for you guys. I am wondering if the following are something you would be concerned about, or if what my knife is exhibiting is pretty standard for the Spydiechef.

1)My Spydiechef seems to have a bit of a gap on the back 2/3rds (or more) of the lock bar in open position. In other words, only the front section of the lockbar is interfacing with the tang. Is this normal lockup? Please see the following photo for example - note the gap between the lockbar and blade. There's also a bit of vertical play, which I am reading is pretty common with the Chef.

2) I am also experiencing a bit of detent lash. In other words, when the blade is closed, before the knife even breaks the detent, the blade has play. The main concern here is that the blade tip can be pushed out enough to touch, even before the detent is broken. Also seems to be a bit of a sloppy execution.

Video:

If all this is normal, I'll probably keep the knife since I like the knife overall. But if this is a bad example, I would probably prefer to do a return.

Thanks in advance!
A
tonythetigerx2

Re: My first Spyderco - Spydiechef - QC questions

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

calling all chef owners=)
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I've owned three Spydiechefs and they all had detent lash to varying degrees.

I never noticed if the lockbar was like that, but that's a pretty common design to stop things like pocket lint from getting between the lockbar and blade tang and preventing sufficient lockup (a certain brand even has a name for it that will just turn to asterisks if I try to post it).

None of the examples Ive owned had any vertical play, whatsoever, though.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
tonythetigerx2

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

Giygas wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:04 pm
I've owned three Spydiechefs and they all had detent lash to varying degrees.

I never noticed if the lockbar was like that, but that's a pretty common design to stop things like pocket lint from getting between the lockbar and blade tang and preventing sufficient lockup (a certain brand even has a name for it that will just turn to asterisks if I try to post it).

None of the examples Ive owned had any vertical play, whatsoever, though.
Thanks for providing your experience and perspective. I am new here and would be interested in finding out which this asterisks brand is haha. Two words, one starts with a C and the other an R?

Thanks good to hear about the detent lash. I suppose that's to be regarded as normal then.

I would still be interested in hearing from others about the lockup. On mine it looks as if just the tip of the lock bar is interfacing with the tang. In my mind that would equate to faster wear and a shorter life...but then again I'm no engineer.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

It's not the brand that would be censored, and I'm fairly certain Spyderco and CRK have a great relationship. I know the CRK literature even recommends the Sharpmaker by name.

It's Strider, and it's called the S**thole
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My lockbar connects in the same spot.

Mine does not have any play. Really no framelock should if its all in spec. Is everything tight? All the body screws and pivot screw and everything.

Dont worry about lockbar wear. Just dont be fidgety and someone who opens and closes their knife 200 times a day and it will last a long time. You can always buy another knife to fidget with if you just have to have a knife to constantly open.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have two CQI 1 versions. Neither have any such issues. They are more like... "dang, is that a CRK?" build quality.

I'd also suggest not flicking at all or fidgeting a Chef too much.

Eta... if i bought one like that i would return it.
tonythetigerx2

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

So the vertical play is less of a concern now. I still get the vertical play to occur, but really it takes an unnatural amount of downward pressure one the spine at this point. I think it's tightened up some since I first bought the knife.

Thanks for your feedback VoodooChild.
tonythetigerx2

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:21 pm
I have two CQI 1 versions. Neither have any such issues. They are more like... "dang, is that a CRK?" build quality.

Interesting...I'm hearing different things from everyone.
So how's the lockup contact? Is there any space between the tang and lockbar like mine?
I took this photograph last night to show how narrow the contact patch is between the lock bar and tang. By shining a flashlight behind the lockbar you can see more clearly how much of the lockbar is making contact. It really is just the tip of the lockbar that's making contact.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

tonythetigerx2 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:05 am
Enactive wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:21 pm

Interesting...I'm hearing different things from everyone.
So how's the lockup contact? Is there any space between the tang and lockbar like mine?
I took this photograph last night to show how narrow the contact patch is between the lock bar and tang. By shining a flashlight behind the lockbar you can see more clearly how much of the lockbar is making contact. It really is just the tip of the lockbar that's making contact.

I somehow missed this for a few days...

Mine have a flush lockup between the lock bar and lock face of the tang. There is no triangular gap as on yours.

To be more specific on the detent... mine have very minor detent play, but nowhere near enough for the tip to snag.

The detent itself is relatively weak and i have not done the surgery to deepen the hole. I do tend to keep the pivot a little tighter than i might otherwise, on account of the not super-strong detent.

You might see if the vendor will do an exchange for another one. Perhaps they will even inspect the replacement before shipment?

Hope you sort it out. They are fantastic knives and i don't think they should have rock lock.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My CQI Chef, purchased last year, doesn't have the gap between the blade and lockbar. No vertical play either. It does have the sloppy detent as seen in the OP's video, though I've never had it open accidentally.

None of my other Spyderco framelocks have this kind of detent lash. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ceramic detent ball the Spydiechef uses.

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by mikey177 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonythetigerx2

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

@enactive no worries. I don't think you missed my messages. I think the mods went on vacation for the 4th. It took them all weekend to approve my messages.

But wow. The amount of variance with the Spydiechef is giving me pause. A lot of people are telling me they have similar lockup, and many are saying that the lockbar is flush and without gap when locked up. Some people have no detent lash, some have similar to mine.

My main concern with having only the tip contact the tang is that since there is less material making contact, you'll have more wear and shorter lockbar life. I know it's not a super expensive custom knife, but it's expensive enough that I'd like a good solid example.

The retailer I bought it from is out of Spydiechefs. I really do love this knife. I might just return the knife and ask to find me a good example when they restock.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I’ve bought an original run and a CQI Spydiechef. Both had issues and neither is still in the collection. I really wish they’d do an involved CQI with the same treatment as the Swayback, then I’d try a 3rd.

I have a Shaman with the same detent issue you’re describing, too. Keeping it because otherwise I love it.

I keep buying these knives, but “quality” hasn’t been wholly consistent over the years. Found “the” perfect one, and am hopeful more are on the way. Always a fan, but hope the best is yet to come.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear tonythetigerx2:

From an engineering standpoint, the contact point engagement between the lock bar and the tang ramp should be focused on an area about .090-.125. That's according to Bob Terzuola's book "The Tactical Folding Knife," current edition, page 97. An excessive contact area causes lock stick.

If you believe there are problems with your knife, your best course of action would be to send it in to Spyderco for warranty consideration.

Stay safe,

Mike
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

There is no detent lash. What you are seeing is lock bar flex, which also contributes to vertical blade play. The Spydiechef has a long, thin lock bar that easily flexes. The tension of the detent will pull the lock bar away from the knife when opening the blade.

I made a video explaining lock bar issues a while back:

https://youtu.be/s5d-Nrmsxo4
Last edited by bgcameron on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My lock is has similar lockup to the OPs. Just touching at the bottom only. Lockup seems sufficient for the knife's purpose as it was not meant as a hard use or MBC knife.

For reference, my Sebenza 31 only locks up on the tiny ceramic ballbearing, so its point of contact is probably slightly smaller than the Chef's.

Edited to add: My detent lash is about the same as well. So far, it has not been an issue..
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I could care less about lash. And yeah, any knife with a lockbar will have "lash" as the detent ball gets pushed out of the way from moving the blade up a millimeter.

Ok. So looking at mine, my lockup point is still at the front with a small gap behind it, similar to yours. BUT, my lockup "point" does seem to be a good bit wider, within the spec posted by Michael Janich.

Zooming in on your pic, it does seem as though your lockup point really is just a "point" at the very tip.

So the entire lockbar clearly doesnt need to engage, but your lockbar contact point does seem very narrow.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:17 am
Dear tonythetigerx2:

From an engineering standpoint, the contact point engagement between the lock bar and the tang ramp should be focused on an area about .090-.125. That's according to Bob Terzuola's book "The Tactical Folding Knife," current edition, page 97. An excessive contact area causes lock stick.

If you believe there are problems with your knife, your best course of action would be to send it in to Spyderco for warranty consideration.

Stay safe,

Mike
viewtopic.php?t=90202

Doubt you’ll get satisfaction from sending it in for warranty, as the company expressly considers these failings within spec.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The only thing wrong with mine is how I miss it when I don’t wear it. Mine I assume is the latest QCI. I wish there will be a larger version in the future. I feel that another 3/4” of blade length will be amazing
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
tonythetigerx2

Post by tonythetigerx2 »

Thanks all for the feedback.
I've been looking at the contact patch scratches on my other frame and liner lock knives and the scratches look about the same length/ area as the spyderco. So those of you who are saying it's not a problem might be right. The gap might just be an aesthetic issue, rather than functional.

I do maintain that there is detent lash, however. I can clearly feel and see when the detent ball is breaking from the hole, and before that happens, there is definitely play. I do admit that it most likely won't be an issue.

Again, I love the design, the feel and the feature set of this knife. It sounds like a like a lot of you guys have a similar experience as I do with the chef. I did email Spyderco and they did say that they consider the rock and lockup as "within spec". So @lucabrasi is right on that. I might just go ahead and keep the knife and see how it holds up.

I do wish Spyderco would do another CQI and have a more consistent lockbar geometry and eliminate or greatly the detent lock. While these may or may not be functional issues, I think it would do a lot to inspire confidence, at least for knife nerds.