Manix 2 Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Manix 2 Maxamet

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'm going to buy another Maxamet knife, something other than a PM2. When I got the PM2 2nds I didn't really pick it out because the website kept crashing. I went for anything I could get through the checkout with. Looking at the options now the Manix 2 is the most appealing. Having owned 2 so far I know I'll like it. Who out there has the Maxamet Manix 2 and actually uses it? I beat the crap out of the PM2 and plan to do the same with what I get to replace it. I've already seen BBBs videos on subject so I'm curious about other users opinions.
Ramonade

Re: Manix 2 Maxamet

Post by Ramonade »

I'm interested by some user reports on the Maxamet Manix 2 too.
I've found a second hand Native 5 LW in Maxamet at an excellent price that I'll get on Monday. I already have one, but didn't have the strength to beat on it!

I'm also hesitating between a Maxamet and a Rex45 Manix 2 LWs for the next purchase.
I have some Rex45 knives now, but I still need more experience with the steel. On the other hand, Maxamet already brought sport car level of performance on my Para 3.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Are you looking more for info on Maxamet in a Manix, or the Manix LW as a whole?

I use my Maxamet Manix a ton, but I swapped the blade into a non-LW model without much experience using it in the FRN scales.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've used mine hard and I love it. It's a fantastic knife - extremely lightweight yet very robust, one of the best locking mechanisms out there. I have not had any issues whatsoever with it, in fact it's one of my favorite and most carried knives!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I prefer the M2 over the P2 for just about everything. I have not used my M2 Maxamet hard, but I do know it slices through Kevlar cable sheathing with no difficulty.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Giygas wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 am
I use my Maxamet Manix a ton, but I swapped the blade into a non-LW model without much experience using it in the FRN scales.
i'd like to hear more about this... i was told the lw doesn't swap to the g10 easily. is that your experience?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Anybody know if spyderco ever mentioned that the Maxamet Manix will ever get a g10 version? I really want to try the steel one day but i rather not spend my money on to much LW’s. And swapping blades is not really my thing because then you sit there with a spare blade…
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:32 am
Giygas wrote:
i'd like to hear more about this... i was told the lw doesn't swap to the g10 easily. is that your experience?
The only minor issue I had was that the ball sat a bit further forward than I wanted, leaving limited room to account for wear. I swapped it out with a ceramic ball that was .002" bigger and I haven't had any problems.

I think it was just an issue with my specific example, since it (the G10 model) had been a heavy user before the swap and you can't use the "backspacer" from the LW in a non-LW so I was left with a combo of new and worn parts.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
z1r

Post by z1r »

I picked up a 2nd's Maxamet Manix 2 last year. It is much more like my G10 M2 than the LW 20CV version in how it operates. Opens and closes almost as easily as the G10. My 20 CV not so much. In terms of use, edge retention, etc, I can't give much feedback because my K390 Endela ends up in a pocket every day. That said, I do like the M2 and usually grab one when I envision needing a "hard use" knife.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

z1r wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:39 am
I picked up a 2nd's Maxamet Manix 2 last year. It is much more like my G10 M2 than the LW 20CV version in how it operates. Opens and closes almost as easily as the G10. My 20 CV not so much. In terms of use, edge retention, etc, I can't give much feedback because my K390 Endela ends up in a pocket every day. That said, I do like the M2 and usually grab one when I envision needing a "hard use" knife.
I wish I lived close enough to go to the seconds sale. I owned a g10 and lw at the same time and didn't notice a difference in action. The oem spring is too strong so I always clip a few coils.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

The wire clip digs into my hand when I thump on mine. I prefer the g10 version over the lightweight. And I'm still holding out for a maxamet military.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:50 am
I'm interested by some user reports on the Maxamet Manix 2 too.
I've found a second hand Native 5 LW in Maxamet at an excellent price that I'll get on Monday. I already have one, but didn't have the strength to beat on it!

I'm also hesitating between a Maxamet and a Rex45 Manix 2 LWs for the next purchase.
I have some Rex45 knives now, but I still need more experience with the steel. On the other hand, Maxamet already brought sport car level of performance on my Para 3.
Where are you seeing Rex45 manix 2 lw knives for sale? I’d love to get one…
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

ladybug93 wrote:
Giygas wrote:
It works that way but not great. When you swap that way you start with what would be the equivalent of maximum wear. It's the other way that doesn't work at all. The G10 blades fail to lock in the LW body. They seem like they do at first but it is possible to close them with the same force as a tight slipjoint.

As for the Maxamet I don't have the Maxamet Manix, yet. I'd like to get one someday. I do have the the Para 3, Native 5, and Sage 1. Of those the Sage is easily my favorite.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

RevMike wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:36 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Giygas wrote:
It works that way but not great. When you swap that way you start with what would be the equivalent of maximum wear. It's the other way that doesn't work at all. The G10 blades fail to lock in the LW body. They seem like they do at first but it is possible to close them with the same force as a tight slipjoint.

As for the Maxamet I don't have the Maxamet Manix, yet. I'd like to get one someday. I do have the the Para 3, Native 5, and Sage 1. Of those the Sage is easily my favorite.
That sounds like it is not a good idea if you can only start with maximum wear. Well then the solution is easy spyderco should give us a g10 version so bladeswapping is not needed at all. :winking-tongue
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

RevMike wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:36 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Giygas wrote:

I have screw converted multiple LW Manix 2 knives and there is no problems with swapping 154CM and S30V blades into the FRCP handles.If I had any problems with three that I've sold on Bladeforums..... Trust me they would have been returned.Furthermore they all had bank vault lockup and would never close like a slip joint

Please stop spreading false info.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Well I'm giving up on the lost PM2 and just going all in on the Manix 2. Just going to go with a new one from a dealer. I've invested a lot of time modifying my last LW, more than any other knife. I would have to say the Manix 2 is my favorite Spyderco so far. This will be the 3rd one and I don't have duplicates of any other knife so that should tell you how much I like them.

razorburn wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 pm

I have screw converted multiple LW Manix 2 knives and there is no problems with swapping 154CM and S30V blades into the FRCP handles.If I had any problems with three that I've sold on Bladeforums..... Trust me they would have been returned.Furthermore they all had bank vault lockup and would never close like a slip joint

I wouldn't call it false since I ran into the same exact issue trying to swap the blades on my G10 Cruwear Manix 2 and LW S110v. The Cruwear was made in 2014 and the 110v years later. I'm sure they changed machines or processes a few times in those years.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:07 pm
The wire clip digs into my hand when I thump on mine. I prefer the g10 version over the lightweight. And I'm still holding out for a maxamet military.

Screenshot_20220704-150740_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220704-130511_Gallery.jpg
I did a regrind on mine and set the apex with an 800 grit king neo at about 13 degrees per side.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:20 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:07 pm

Screenshot_20220704-150740_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220704-130511_Gallery.jpg

I did a regrind on mine and set the apex with an 800 grit king neo at about 13 degrees per side.
Maybe if I pick up a spare beater Maxamet knife I'll give it a try. Don't really have the funds for spares though. I have reground 2 budget knives for practice. I want to get better before trying a Spyderco. The top one is crazy thin <0.006"BTE the bottom is ~0.009"BTE
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

This maxamet was only a 68 hrc, my pm2 and Para 3 were tested higher in overall hardness. I did regrinds on 4 spydies that day. S110v at 61 hrc, k390 pm2 at 63, and a rex45 manix lwt which was not tested. I misplaced my calipers so I have no idea what the BTE is on any of them at this time. I get Hotspots on the lightweight manix so it's not gonna be put thru hard use anymore. I prefer the stretch 2 instead. I put about 9 edges on this manix before I decided to regrind it. In my mind I got my $150 bucks worth already.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Sorry Josh, I just tried installing a CTS-XHP blade from 2010 into a 2021 CTS-BD1N Frcp Manix 2, it did work out.It had very early lockup and didn't quite close like a slip joint but when the two blades are laid atop of each other, the lock geometry are completely different.

I should note there are indeed some refinements, like the back spacer/blade stop from the earliest S110V FRCP Manix 2

razorburn wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 pm

I wouldn't call it false since I ran into the same exact issue trying to swap the blades on my G10 Cruwear Manix 2 and LW S110v. The Cruwear was made in 2014 and the 110v years later. I'm sure they changed machines or processes a few times in those years.
[/quote]